Print Wikipost

DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 09:41 PM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
Agree, but nearly $150 bucks DIY is nonetheless...PRICY!

haha yeah i guess. i was just thinking in relation to some of the mods i did to my old isx50.
Old 12-16-16, 05:31 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
Agree, but nearly $150 bucks DIY is nonetheless...PRICY!
Shopping around, I ended up only paying $70 for the moulding and clips off Amazon. The clips were not OEM, but fitment was perfect.
Old 12-17-16, 09:12 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, maybe the next 200k haha. Maybe you can share the Amazon link you purchased from so make sure we order the same one?

Originally Posted by Zmon
Shopping around, I ended up only paying $70 for the moulding and clips off Amazon. The clips were not OEM, but fitment was perfect.
Old 12-04-17, 06:16 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

He folks,

Sorry about resurrecting this old thread, I may his missed it in the thread but is the Drivers side LH or RH ? I want to make sure I order the right part number.
Old 12-04-17, 07:01 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ToDesi
He folks,

Sorry about resurrecting this old thread, I may his missed it in the thread but is the Drivers side LH or RH ? I want to make sure I order the right part number.
depends, do you have a RHD car or a LHD car?
Old 12-04-17, 07:03 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
depends, do you have a RHD car or a LHD car?
North American car, it's ok I found a picture with this part number

LEXUS (75551-53020)

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement-lexus-windshield.png  

Last edited by ToDesi; 12-04-17 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-04-17, 07:48 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Don’t forget your little blue clips! ( just in case the pieces don’t have them) mine did not.
Old 12-05-17, 12:10 PM
deestyle28
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just buy this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-06-13...5Y1UvV&vxp=mtr
Old 03-22-18, 03:06 PM
sagan
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for the eBay link! That was by far the cheapest and complete option. The package arrived in 2 days and the parts were accurate. Took about 20 minutes to install as other said.

Part Numbers and quantity included:
75551-53020 x 1 Windshield Molding
75552-53020 x 1 Windshield Molding
75545-53011 x 10 Windshield Molding Clips

If anyone is reading this and debating if to reuse the clips or not just get this package as it's basically the clips for free. The clips were in some cases ok but in some cases brittle and in other cases had pieces that broke off from the old molding that were difficult to remove. So in other words, just get and replace the clips if this ebay package is available.

If you still aren't sure or you need to buy the parts separately then take the old molding off (just realize it may break if it's in as bad of a shape as mine and you'll be without it until the parts come) and evaluate the clips before ordering.

I used 2 different sized pliers to pull clips out and as remarked by others the broken pieces go everywhere. Expect them to break, I think only 2 out of 10 didn't. In fact you may want to wear some eye protection or just close your eyes when you yank up (that was my method)

I sprayed a shop towel with silicon lubricant and made sure all the rubber surfaces had some silicon on them before replacing the new molding. Hopefully that will prevent them from drying/cracking like the last ones or at least inhibit it a bit.

For the record the car is 10 years old and lived half of its life outside.
Old 11-17-18, 12:53 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Called up Lexus for a laugh because I was curious what they would tell me. Got quoted $517 parts and labor. Their breakdown didn't even add up. They told me $297parts and $150 for an hour labor. Even with tax I would still only be at $476. I didn't hassle them about what the other $41 was for since they weren't gonna do it.

Got my kit from Amazon for $145, L/R side and 10 clips. Item's came all with Lexus part numbers. The hardest part as other's said was cleaning all the old brittle broken pieces from the track first. The passenger side molding came out in 1 piece but the driver side broke a few times while pulling it off. All the old clips came out with just needle nose pliers and the new ones went in just as easy.

I have more of a gap on the driver side then the passenger side near the hood but as far as I can tell without trying to remove it and reinsert it the clips are in right at the bottom.

So glad I saved myself $372!

Old 11-17-18, 02:19 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I had my windshield replaced through insurance and they put new moldings and clips with the windshield install. The tech said it was standard procedure.
Old 11-08-19, 03:06 PM
Jezo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I am necro-ing this thread but it's the only thing active on this topic I can find on the entire internet. I am trying to do this now on my CT but the clips on the car are metal and do not match the replacements. On the CT they are metal and not the plastic everyone is talking about:

I have no idea how to get these old ones off, does anyone have any pointers?
Old 11-08-19, 03:15 PM
sagan
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Try parts.lexus.com to find a diagram that may give you a hint and to get the part #.

If I'm reading it right it's a cheap ~$3 or so part so then to me that means it's not the end of the world if you break it off and redo it.

Here is a link to the CT 2015 windshield section as an example.
https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2015...2410-5503.html

Good luck and post an update with how you make out. Some of these minor item how to's are invaluable.
Old 11-08-19, 06:12 PM
Jezo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the parts, I used a diagram similar and ordered them. The picture is one I took, on the car there are metal clips and I have no idea how they are attached. The replacements everyone is ordering, and the ones posted in this thread, are the plastic part in my hand. On the body of the car itself is that metal gold clip. Everyone here was just ripping off the old plastic ones and putting on the new ones but with this metal thing I can't rip it off and I can't figure out how to pry it.

Your diagram shows all of the glass bits but there is no moulding clips. I am quite perplexed right now in this situation.
Old 11-08-19, 06:35 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jezo
I got the parts, I used a diagram similar and ordered them. The picture is one I took, on the car there are metal clips and I have no idea how they are attached. The replacements everyone is ordering, and the ones posted in this thread, are the plastic part in my hand. On the body of the car itself is that metal gold clip. Everyone here was just ripping off the old plastic ones and putting on the new ones but with this metal thing I can't rip it off and I can't figure out how to pry it.

Your diagram shows all of the glass bits but there is no moulding clips. I am quite perplexed right now in this situation.
i replaced mine the other week on 2IS. and they were plastic and the ones i ordered were plastic. perhaps the reason why youre getting mixed up is because this tread is for the 2IS and not the CT. perhaps in the CT they were metal clips from factory while on the 2IS were plastic. Possibly to save a little weight on the 2IS since it is a sport sedan. saving weight is always good for a sporty car.

Quick Reply: DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement