IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 07:09 AM
spicaly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the guide, very good

and just a heads up, don't be cheap like i was and buy the $40 bulbs off eBay... two wouldn't stay on and then the color wasn't consistent
Old 02-07-12, 08:42 PM
GFM IS350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY: HID Headlamp bulb install

So... one of my HID bulbs became 'faulty' and I had to install a new one. I didn't want to spend the $270 or so the dealer wanted, so i purchased some bulbs off the forum and installed them myself!

I was browsing AND using the search, however could NOT find a DIY for a simple headlight bulb install. Searched YouTube, however couldn't find a good video, one video skipped the most important part.

I came across this article, and the pictures showed me how to do it, and i thought i'd share.

I didn't realize that plug ^^ was the one plugging into the HID bulb. It was at a weird angle..

I hope these images help! It's way better than me taking pics with the iPhone. Mod's can delete this thread if one already exists I just didn't see one in the DIY section.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs-bulb-install-1.gif   DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs-bulb-install-2.gif   DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs-bulb-install-3.gif   DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs-bulb-install-4.gif  
The following users liked this post:
TheNaeblis (01-14-22)
Old 02-08-12, 06:18 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks...............
Old 04-04-12, 08:19 PM
albatros83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ApokC
Friendly reminder...

Your CHECK VSC light may come on with the TRAC OFF light too...

If this happens, you have to disconnect your battery, then if the lights are still on, wiggle your MAF sensor wire
This happened to me. Disconnecting the battery solved it. Thanks!
Old 04-07-12, 01:51 AM
aaquino3
Driver School Candidate

just want to know, can you just replace the bulb with another color lets say like 6k or 8k and use the stock ballast?
Old 04-07-12, 06:50 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Yes, you just need to make sure you get D4S bulbs.

Jeff
Old 04-07-12, 03:49 PM
aaquino3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Yes, you just need to make sure you get D4S bulbs.

Jeff
Thank you I appreciate it
Old 04-25-12, 08:55 AM
LexHes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOO SAD TODAY.. Passenger side low beam goes out about a month ago. This past weekend they both decide to go out while driving at night in the middle of NOWHERE land. So i change them both for the first time, thanks to this WONDERFUL post and it turns out one of my bulbs i bought from Amazon is 'faulty'. It turns on for a split second then shuts off. Any ideas on why that happens? or is it just simply a bad bulb? PLEASE HELP thanks
Old 05-11-12, 05:12 PM
mdaleo
Driver School Candidate

I bought some Philips 42402 D4S off Amazon to replace my drivers side ..I finished in minutes thanks to these instructions. Thank you!
Old 05-11-12, 08:07 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Awesome write-up/instructions. I'll be completing this minor project when my new hids come in.

If I can get a write for changing fog lights that would be great.
Old 06-19-12, 12:00 PM
qtrain
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the write up! I accidentally bend the metal clamp that holds the bulb in place. Now, the bottom clamp won't secure back on the notch. Do you know where I can get a replacement clamp and how to replace it? This is on the driver side by the way... which is kinda tight to work in. Thanks again!
Old 06-21-12, 02:40 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Great write up! Will definitely keep this in my favourites to provide our customers that purchase replacement D4S HID bulbs from us =)

Steve
Old 09-17-12, 06:10 AM
ZNation
Driver

Originally Posted by 96817isf
this might be a dumb question but i gotta ask...can u upgrade the hid head light bulb without changing the ballast? wut is the stock brightness and wuts the highest u can go without changing the ballast?
OK I have a really dumb question.
I recently bought an 06' IS 250, private dealer.
It had some mods already like lip spoiler, front skirt, lowering springs, etc.

Now I had some issues with my passenger side headlight going in and out.
I went through a lot of threads on DIY installs. But my issue is that when i went in to
make the changes, I noticed there were two different setups for each headlight.
I bought an HID kit with 9006 bulbs(6000k). So obviously two ballasts and two sets of wiring with bulb setups.

My driver side install was fine no issues. but when I got to the passenger side, I noticed to power source to the light was completely different. Instead of the bulb going in and having a small connector plug in and the rest of the wires go to the ballast, this headlight has the big round plug that plugs directly into the old bulb. I thought it would be the same as the other side where I have to drill a hole into the cover and run the kit through that and plug in the small connector on the inside and the outside wires to the ballast.

Any help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!!! sorry for the novel of a post!
Old 09-18-12, 08:45 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,

The 2is uses H11 bulbs for the low beams. Are you certain that you have the right kit? Can you post up some pictures?

Steve
Old 09-19-12, 06:21 AM
ZNation
Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi,

The 2is uses H11 bulbs for the low beams. Are you certain that you have the right kit? Can you post up some pictures?

Steve
Yes, I bought a H11 Conversion Kit...the driver side was fine. But for some reason, my passenger side unit is wired differently, I'm not sure what the previous owner was trying to do. As far as I know the car has not been in an accident. So for the one side to be using what looks like a D4S setup seemed odd. This is probably a rare case. I will take pics next time I go in and take it all apart. It started raining the last time so I had to rush and put it back together.
Is there a way to convert the D4S Setup to an H11??? I would guess thats a lot of work :s

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs