IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 04:20 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It's the amber one that lit up in your pic...search the forum for LED parking light guide.
Old 10-24-10, 04:39 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also shows you how to change the parking light in the manual.
Old 10-24-10, 07:25 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't that the DRL?
Old 12-18-10, 08:13 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question headlight just went out. how much for bulb?

Originally Posted by iskcon
Nice DIY

But one thing. Ok I don't know the technical term but this is what I'm talking about (the white stick connector part)

You said that it should be pointing to the back of the car. When I put mine in, this white stick is pointing up. The bulb is properly in place and connection is tight.

Did I put it in wrong or it doesn't matter?

I think you were referring to pointing the stick like this (where it's on the side)
Wow good thread. So the above bulb is what I will need correct?
Any idea how much they cost? One of mine went out but I havnt time to check bc its raining and I was running late for graduation ceremonies
Old 07-07-11, 07:11 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Pho - when I bought my replacement bulb from Sewell it came in a Toyota box. It was a different brand from the original, but was the same color and brightness as far as I could tell. The original was a Phillips D4S 35W and the replacement was a Harison D4S 35W. Both had the marking E4 inside a hexagon too.

Now that I look these up on the internet, they are super cheap through e-bay, over $100 less than what I paid through Sewell even with the Club Lexus discount...

Last edited by Trumpanche; 07-07-11 at 07:23 PM. Reason: e-bay has cheap bulbs & added pic
Old 07-20-11, 02:40 PM
Chow
Pit Crew

Thanks for this guide. I will be replacing mine soon!
Old 08-05-11, 05:41 PM
SocalSo350
Rookie

perfect thank you!
Old 08-31-11, 10:13 AM
nato
Driver School Candidate

When the plugs are secure to the bulb. Turn it on before putting it back together. Then put everything back in reverse order. Another note, on the bottom of the airbox, there's a peg thing. Make sure it goes into the hole or it won't fit correctly. That's it and you're done![/QUOTE]

Does this work for the adaptive lighting system as well? You know the headlights that pivot...the pics didn't look like it has that system....The dealer is being a ***** even though my car only has 41k on it and i bought the extended "platinum" Lexus warranty...they say that this is one of maybe 10 items that they are not willing to cover (my car is an 06 so it is just out of the factory warranty)....I swear I want to punch them in the face! Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-11, 03:20 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nato
Does this work for the adaptive lighting system as well? You know the headlights that pivot...the pics didn't look like it has that system....The dealer is being a ***** even though my car only has 41k on it and i bought the extended "platinum" Lexus warranty...they say that this is one of maybe 10 items that they are not willing to cover (my car is an 06 so it is just out of the factory warranty)....I swear I want to punch them in the face! Thanks in advance.
Yep, my car is an 08 with factory HIDs which comes with the adaptive lighting. I think only the 11s Lexus took out AFS even if you have factory HIDs.
Old 09-01-11, 06:23 AM
nato
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhoNoodles
Yep, my car is an 08 with factory HIDs which comes with the adaptive lighting. I think only the 11s Lexus took out AFS even if you have factory HIDs.

Thanks!...I'm gonna try to make Lexus take it in the rear but if they won't cave then I will order a replacement and do it myself...This entire thing just surprises me though with the dealership...I bought 2 brand new loaded IS 350s (absolutely loaded) in 2006 and they can't find it in their heart to good will a headlight bulb...wtf? Not to mention my wife has been hounding me about a new RX...If they don't make this right they can go pound salt. Disappointing.
Old 09-01-11, 08:24 AM
100degrees
Pole Position

Great DIY, made it change so easy for me. If anyone needs D4S stock bulbs, check out my thread in the marketplace.
Old 09-06-11, 01:10 PM
nato
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nato
Thanks!...I'm gonna try to make Lexus take it in the rear but if they won't cave then I will order a replacement and do it myself...This entire thing just surprises me though with the dealership...I bought 2 brand new loaded IS 350s (absolutely loaded) in 2006 and they can't find it in their heart to good will a headlight bulb...wtf? Not to mention my wife has been hounding me about a new RX...If they don't make this right they can go pound salt. Disappointing.
Well to update the situation....My faith is now restored in Lexus..they took care of it free of charge...They are my friends again!
Old 09-24-11, 04:21 PM
clellandm
Driver School Candidate

Any differences in the instructions if I have halogen lighting instead of HID?

I asked my dealer this morning if a dead low beam was covered by warranty and the answer was no.
Old 09-26-11, 06:18 AM
nato
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clellandm
Any differences in the instructions if I have halogen lighting instead of HID?

I asked my dealer this morning if a dead low beam was covered by warranty and the answer was no.
It should be covered under the factory warranty...but not extended....as noted by my previous posts on the subject...I would suspect that the process would be the same but then again I have not done it...but the actual location of the lights would be the same.
Old 10-04-11, 10:09 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

this might be a dumb question but i gotta ask...can u upgrade the hid head light bulb without changing the ballast? wut is the stock brightness and wuts the highest u can go without changing the ballast?

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Stock HID Bulbs