IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can the NAVI run with no disc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 02:51 PM
smoking1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, it prolly should be in the es forum. I dont know how to move it. Since i am so used to going here i guess habit got the best of me...

Last edited by smoking1; 01-21-09 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-21-09, 02:58 PM
smoking1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by projectdna
(bolded for emphasis)

first of all, wrong section. you should ask the ES guys.

second, why you messing w/ a loaner? the dealership is nice enough to give you a loaner while your car is in service; don't screw it up by messing w/ the loaner. you just might be the reason they change the loaner policy.

third, the eject button is for the in-dash CD changer, not for the DVD nav.

this thread is getting shadier by the post...

First, there is nothing shady about trying the dvd out of a loaner in my car.

Second, i am not trying to hit eject on the cd player i am hitting eject on the dvd thru the menu.

Third, if you are paying 95 a day that isnt exactly a gift...

Call it what you want but i dont want to spend the cash on a map dvd that does not have the new streets in my city. We build so fast i bet it dosent have half of the new streets. If it has them then it would definitely be worth the money...

Slim Shady out...
Old 01-21-09, 03:02 PM
smoking1
Driver School Candidate

oh, and what about the threads on here telling how to hack these dvd's. Who cares what anyone else is doing...i know i just want to help others and be helped, thats why i come on forums.....
Old 01-21-09, 03:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i will ask this. why do you need to take the dvd out? if you want to see how good the 8.1 is, you can just see it on the loaner. map information will be all there already. just look at the map on the 09 es loaner you have and that should shows the new roads, if they are there
Old 01-21-09, 04:36 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by smoking1
there is nothing shady about trying the dvd out of a loaner in my car.
correct me if i'm wrong, but in order for you to try what you're saying requires you to remove the nav dvd from your loaner and then return the loaner w/out its nav dvd... and that doesn't sound shady?

btw, the fact the nav DVD is in a normally inaccessible location in the car means that the manufacturer doesn't want anyone else other than factory-trained technicians to remove the DVD. asking how to remove the nav DVD and complaining about how much an upgrade DVD costs just raises more questions rather than answering your first one.

if you are paying 95 a day that isnt exactly a gift...
and paying $95 a day doesn't give you the right to hack into the loaner to "borrow" the nav DVD.

Call it what you want but i dont want to spend the cash on a map dvd that does not have the new streets in my city. We build so fast i bet it dosent have half of the new streets. If it has them then it would definitely be worth the money...

Slim Shady out...
no matter which way you cut it, jacking the nav DVD from the dealership's loaner is shady. don't borrow the excuse of "i'm helping clublexus" to make it sound legit.
Old 01-21-09, 04:52 PM
smoking1
Driver School Candidate

Look, get it straight, im not trying to help Cl. I am asking for help from CL. If you dont want to help then you dont have to chime in with your morality, shady, Bla, Bla, Bla. Because i dont give a crap what you think about what i am doing. I was just asking for help not a sermon on how shady it is to do whatever....

Mods. please close this thread or delete it as it is way off topic and not of any use to the OP!
Old 01-21-09, 07:09 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Look, get it straight, im not trying to help Cl. I am asking for help from CL. If you dont want to help then you dont have to chime in with your morality, shady, Bla, Bla, Bla. Because i dont give a crap what you think about what i am doing. I was just asking for help not a sermon on how shady it is to do whatever....

Mods. please close this thread or delete it as it is way off topic and not of any use to the OP!
oh, rly?

oh, and what about the threads on here telling how to hack these dvd's. Who cares what anyone else is doing...i know i just want to help others and be helped, thats why i come on forums.....

anyways... /OT

if you really, really wanted to see whether ver 8.1 was better than 7.1, why don't you just ask that?

and in case you haven't figured it out yet, our lexus nav systems are DVD based. ergo, no DVD, no functioning nav. you don't need a rocket scientist to tell you that.
Old 01-21-09, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

ok all, enough heat in here, please.

smoking1 - as rominl pointed out, you don't need to try the disc in your car to find out if it has the map detail you want - you can just look at it on the ES navi. if it's not there on the ES it won't be there on your car.

aside, but i don't know if an ES disc would work in your IS250 anyway.

so given what rominl and i have written, is there any other reason you need to take the disc out of the ES?

thanks.
Old 01-21-09, 08:29 PM
smoking1
Driver School Candidate

First, I am a curious person and I like to test things.

Second, even though these systems are "DVD based", the computers that run these "DVD's" could run the code differently and at different speeds. I do not consider it apples to apples comp from an ES to an IS. Do you know for sure that the hardware is identical?

Third, I like messing with cars.

Forth, I am considering getting an ES and I have really gone over the whole car. (Now am I trying to steal the engine because I opened the hood)?

Fourth, if anyone on here thinks that I am dumb enough to take the disk and return the car then they are a freaking IDIOT. Don’t you think I know the dealership will notice it is gone and charge me or report a theft?

So in summation of my defense of my motives I say that if you are not going to help me get this DVD out then you should keep your stupid assumptions to yourself. There is a very wise saying that refers to a certain animal that resembles people who make ***-umptions....
Old 01-21-09, 08:31 PM
smoking1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by projectdna
oh, rly?

anyways... /OT

if you really, really wanted to see whether ver 8.1 was better than 7.1, why don't you just ask that?

and in case you haven't figured it out yet, our lexus nav systems are DVD based. ergo, no DVD, no functioning nav. you don't need a rocket scientist to tell you that.
Oh, and i did post a poll several weeks ago about this topic. Use the search function. Was i just planning this crafty theft then ?
Old 01-21-09, 08:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this thread is close. smoking1, your continuous defense is still very thin and i am not going to let this continue

1) no one has issues with you being curious. your intention is the issue.

2) they are all gen5 nav, same thing, period. load speed won't affect what streets show up on the nav and what not. all these streets are part of a database, the system will just load them as is

3) mess with the car you own

4) easy, go into showroom and ask salesman for all the info you want to know, and ask them to show you. and btw, i have seen people opening their loaners' hood and stole the engine cover emblem

5) personal insults aren't tolerated here at all.