IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TSIB question

Old 12-20-08, 11:01 AM
350forMe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSIB question

Hi everyone, i have a simple basic question about the TSIBs for lexus. Is it legal or ok to take a printed out version of the TSIB you are looking to service on your car? Has anyone had a problem taking this information to a lexus dealer for service?

I recently took a printed out TSIB for the cold start noise produced on 06 / 07 models and the they kind of gave me some comments that i did not like. They somewhat gave me **** for bringing it in. First I was asked if I worked for toyota. I told them no but that I am just a well informed individual before I make any claim. Second they told me I shouldn't have access to TSIBs and that I could have only gotten this document from someone who worked with toyota. They also said if that person who gave me the TSIB got caught they could have gotten fired.

I just looked at them (although i didnt say it, i though in my mind, "like are you seriously trying to bull**** me?) The only thing i said was, this information cannot be illegal and it must be available to customers and clients. they have the right to know when they need repairs on their vehicles. Then they changed their tone and was like "well oh yeah, this information is available for recalls only. Then they proceeded to give me a loaner and investigate or "try" to reproduce the cold start sound. I told them to hold the car for 3 days and try to do the cold start since it doesnt happen everyday. So i hope they hear it so they can service my car with the TSIB for the cold start.

What is the CL familys opinion on this?

by the way this was at cerritos of lexus in california. I never had a problem there but they seem shady sometimes.
Old 12-20-08, 11:08 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

You need to find a new dealer for service.
Old 12-20-08, 11:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Lexus TSB's, service campaignes, and recalls are public record, available to anyone to print out and submit to a dealer. Your dealer is just giving you a hard time because they think it makes them look inept.
Old 12-20-08, 11:32 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe even the service person. try the service manager or another dealer.

I have had two tsib's from my stealer with no issues
Old 12-20-08, 02:42 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely provided the TSIB codes for 4 services on my 2gen and my dealer said no problem. If your car has that cold start issue and they can experience that, they should have no problem honoring the TSIB. Maybe it was a bad day for the service rep? This has happened to other members, so no worries.
Old 12-20-08, 03:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Anybody with $10 can go to techinfo.lexus.com and get exactly the same factory service information that the dealers use, including all current TSIBs, service procedures, part numbers, etc.
Old 12-20-08, 03:38 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Which dealer is this? Stay clear. As Bichon said, TIS is available to the public for a day for $10:

http://techinfo.lexus.com
Old 12-21-08, 12:11 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

go to another dealer....period.
Old 12-21-08, 01:40 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

I taken my car to Cerritos Lexus when South Bay couldn't duplicate the noise (for the cold start) after two visits to the dealership. The first time I took the car in for the TSB at South Bay Lexus I printed out the 30 something page report and took it to them...they said that they have to duplicate the noise in order to fix it...I though as long as the vehicle's VIN falls under the TSB specs they should fix no matter what...but was wrong. I gave up on South Bay and took it to Cerritos Lexus and did the same thing, I printed out the report and took it in and they had no problem with me printing it out. Just as South Bay they couldn't duplicate the noise and they fail to perform the TSB. The only thing I didn't like about Cerritos was the lady doing the loaner service, she was to **** about loaning cars to first time customers to the dealer.

Yeah you should call Lexus Corp. and complain about the service adviser, he shouldn't be accusing you with out the facts. That guy was a @$$. My mom used to work at Nissan corp in Gardena until they close down and she says that I was right about TSB on how they should fix the vehicle if it falls under the TSB specs, no matter what!...Well this is Nissan/Infiniti and she was there for 15 years...so am pretty sure it should be the same else where.

What I been doing (when I remember to) with my Blackberry I record the start up in the morning hoping to capture the sound so I can prove to them that it does happens to my car, but I don't have my phone when it happens. I just put in video mode and record my speedometer as I turn on the car with the door open.

Well hopefully you call Lexus and make a former complain about this...just my $0.02 then some...
Old 12-21-08, 01:51 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that's definitely a very unprofessional advisor if they made those kind of comments. You should definitely make a complaint to the manager if not corp. I've brought a couple TISB's to my dealer (longo) and they've always respectfully obliged my requests with any hesitation or questioning me.
Old 12-21-08, 05:56 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tC_demon
I taken my car to Cerritos Lexus when South Bay couldn't duplicate the noise (for the cold start) after two visits to the dealership. The first time I took the car in for the TSB at South Bay Lexus I printed out the 30 something page report and took it to them...they said that they have to duplicate the noise in order to fix it...I though as long as the vehicle's VIN falls under the TSB specs they should fix no matter what...but was wrong. I gave up on South Bay and took it to Cerritos Lexus and did the same thing, I printed out the report and took it in and they had no problem with me printing it out. Just as South Bay they couldn't duplicate the noise and they fail to perform the TSB. The only thing I didn't like about Cerritos was the lady doing the loaner service, she was to **** about loaning cars to first time customers to the dealer.

Yeah you should call Lexus Corp. and complain about the service adviser, he shouldn't be accusing you with out the facts. That guy was a @$$. My mom used to work at Nissan corp in Gardena until they close down and she says that I was right about TSB on how they should fix the vehicle if it falls under the TSB specs, no matter what!...Well this is Nissan/Infiniti and she was there for 15 years...so am pretty sure it should be the same else where.

What I been doing (when I remember to) with my Blackberry I record the start up in the morning hoping to capture the sound so I can prove to them that it does happens to my car, but I don't have my phone when it happens. I just put in video mode and record my speedometer as I turn on the car with the door open.

Well hopefully you call Lexus and make a former complain about this...just my $0.02 then some...
Your belief that the dealer should perform a TSB on a car "no matter what" is incorrect. I understand that your particular car has had a cold start noise, "sometimes", but if the dealer can't duplicate the problem, they are under no obligation to fix it, because, in reality, what are they going to fix? TSB's are documented issues that are somewhat common. Not *ALL* cars have these TSB issues and the TSB's are written *ONLY* for vehicles with these problems.
Old 12-22-08, 06:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Your belief that the dealer should perform a TSB on a car "no matter what" is incorrect. I understand that your particular car has had a cold start noise, "sometimes", but if the dealer can't duplicate the problem, they are under no obligation to fix it, because, in reality, what are they going to fix? TSB's are documented issues that are somewhat common. Not *ALL* cars have these TSB issues and the TSB's are written *ONLY* for vehicles with these problems.
I had the same experience. A TSB isn't a recall. It's a bulletin to clear up a known issue. As a "courtesey", they might do some TSBs on a customer's word, but not that one. I tried it, and they coulnd't replicate the problem. they told me they cant justify all of the labor that goes into that particular repair if they can't themselves estabilsh it is necessary. Since I only heard it 2-3 times in a year, what am I going to do?

My dealer also told me that, for the seat squeak TSB, I could leave the papers if I want, but they prefer to have their technitions troubleshoot the issue themsleves, intstead of going straight to the TSB. They gave me no attitude at all.
Old 12-22-08, 04:01 PM
LexusRuss
Pole Position

SouthBay Lexus is a joke. Their goal is to get money from you no matter what. I just got my braks done on Friday. When I called to set the appointment they tried to act like they never heard of the brake dust problem....seriously?....like....SERIOUSLY?

(Little did he know, I sold cars for 5 years)

I just finished a couple of his sentences for him and he knew..the gig was up.

Brake pads FIXED.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to that Stealership... unless you know how to deal with dishonest dealers.

By the way, this is a greaaaaaat site. You guys are all awesome. Glad to be a member... finally!
Old 12-22-08, 05:00 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Would you like to shares them "couple of sentences"?

Sale Class 101 start now.
Old 12-22-08, 05:24 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Just took my car for service and handed my SA a TSIB for suspension clunk. He took it gladly and said they would check it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSIB question