IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight questions - please look

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 07:22 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlight questions - please look

First off - I’m extremely DIY challenged, so please bear with my noob questions. I finally found someone that can help me do all the headlight work that I want. Before I do anything though, I have a some questions:

Here’s what I'd like to do:

1. Black out the headlight housing. I got exact instructions from a couple threads here and I’m printing those out and taking them to my installer so that should be just fine. I’m not too worried about this process but would appreciate any related advice that anyone has to offer. Eg how many times to sand off the chrome housing and repaint, how hard it is to melt the sealant, anything special I might need to know etc.

2. Change out my parking lights/wedge bulbs to get rid of the ugly yellow next to the HIDs. I’m using this thread as a reference: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=322099

Here are the 5SMT VLED bulbs mentioned in there that match the 4300K stocks: http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=315
But that website seems to be down for maintenance. Anyone know if this is temporary or if I can get the 5MT VLEDs somewhere else? EDIT: I think the link is just down, the website is fine. Can someone point me to the correct link please?

Also, which ones would match the 6000K headlights if I decide to get those?

3. Change out the 4300K stock HIDs to 6000k maybe? I’m not sure at all if I want to do this though. This might be worth doing if the 6000s have just barely a hint of blue. Anything more and I’m definitely not doing it. I think xenondepot has a special on these right now so maybe I’ll check it out.

4. Maybe, just maybe try out the angel eyes halo kit from AACS: http://www.automotivelightstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=19#
I fully realize that it’s quite a travesty to put anything bimmer related on a Lexus, but I still like it quite a bit – it’s just a personal choice so please don’t flame me for this. I’m not really sure how this works though. Do the halos just go around the stock HIDs? The stocks don’t need to be touched right? If the headlight housing is already been taken apart for blacking out, I think these could be installed at the same time? I’m just not sure if anything needs to be removed or if these just go on top of what’s already in there. If someone could help me understand how these actually work, I’d really appreciate it. I’ve seen lots of pics on the threads here and they look pretty good imo.

One question about this: Will the angel eyes look better at 6000K than 4300K? If yes, then I can get the 6000K halo kit for these and then I’ll need to get the 6000K HID kit also right? What do you guys think about leaving my 4300K HIDs alone and getting the 4300K Halos?

Whew, long thread. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by xerxes717; 05-16-08 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-16-08, 01:07 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Bumping my own thread.
Old 05-16-08, 02:15 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice, 600k will be a great swap for the OEM 4300k. If you remove the headligh assembly and black out the chrome reflcetive lense, make sure to remove the amber reflector and caulk the assembly very good to avoid moisture. Clear silicone should work fine. Halos do look good on the 1gen and 2gen IS's. When isntalling the wedge bulb, make sure it is very snug in the harness, some members had the bulb fall into the headlight assembly and it is a pain to remove unless you have it off the car already. Since you will have the fonr bumper off to remove the headlight, might as well do a fog HID kit at the same time. PM me if you need more input.
Old 05-16-08, 02:20 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Thanks, all great advice. PM sent about HID fogs.
Old 05-16-08, 03:37 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Originally Posted by xerxes717
2. Change out my parking lights/wedge bulbs to get rid of the ugly yellow next to the HIDs. I’m using this thread as a reference: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=322099

Here are the 5SMT VLED bulbs mentioned in there that match the 4300K stocks: http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=315
But that website seems to be down for maintenance. Anyone know if this is temporary or if I can get the 5MT VLEDs somewhere else? EDIT: I think the link is just down, the website is fine. Can someone point me to the correct link please?

Also, which ones would match the 6000K headlights if I decide to get those?
Anyone know about this? I'm trying to get these ordered today if possible.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-08, 03:42 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like there site is down for maintenance. You can also get them on ebay and other vendors
Old 05-16-08, 05:27 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

http://www.v-leds.com still works for me

6000K is nice, I got the 8000K which I thought is a better match for the LEDs, which tint blue IMO. I got the 27 LED SMT bulbs though.

Planned on painting and halos but decided not to since my DIY stills are.....non-existent
Old 05-16-08, 06:45 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is no sanding required for the chrome housing... sanding i think is just a waste of time. i personally didn't, when i had my SC. all you want to make sure you get is a matt black spray paint... and spray evenly while being roughly about a foot away from the chrome housing. the chrome housing is removable once you have the headlight separated, it's held on by 1 or two screws and clips. I didn't use any caulk whatsoever... i baked it separated it as fast as i could and when i was ready re-baked it and squeezed as hard as i could reusing the glue that was originally on there. no condensation yet. and i've had it ever since winter

As for HID Halos here's my DIY which also includes taking off the front bumper by dj amtrax (linked)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=327058

yes there is a big difference with stock HID's and 6000k or 8000k when you have the halo's installed... i have the stock ones... i just did it for exclusivis and he has the 8000k... he makes mines look like dookie. LOL

Last edited by Batmobile; 05-16-08 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 01:24 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Yes that's what I meant - v-leds.com works just fine, it's just that one link that's broken. Now the question is: which of the bulbs that they offer would match the stock 4300K or the 6000K HIDs? I still have no idea about this...

Batmobile - I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks guys.