IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart Key Fob Programming

Old 10-10-12, 01:01 PM
Vims
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my1stis
Hi all,
I have 2007 IS250 and key was working perfectly until this morning. I saw a low battery alert while driving last week, so searched on CL to find out how to change battery. I ordered the batteries on ebay and waiting to receive them. I pop open the cover of the remote using the mechanical key a few nights ago just to learn how to open it when battery arrives, but when I tried using my key this morning to unlock the door it's not responding. There's a red light that comes on when i press the remote so still a little juice left in the remote but not sure if maybe not enough to unlock the doors? Would changing the battery fix the issue? Has anyone experienced this? Just hope I don't have to re-program this thing. I only have one remote.

Update: Okay I just replaced the battery and remote is still not responding. Cannot unlock door or anything. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Changing battery is the simple thing. Just do it. You do not need to reprogram your key.
Done it on all my Lexus/Toyota/ etc....
Might be silly question however make sure you insert battery correctly.
Old 10-24-12, 06:38 AM
ChanceG
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my1stis
Hi all,
I have 2007 IS250 and key was working perfectly until this morning. I saw a low battery alert while driving last week, so searched on CL to find out how to change battery. I ordered the batteries on ebay and waiting to receive them. I pop open the cover of the remote using the mechanical key a few nights ago just to learn how to open it when battery arrives, but when I tried using my key this morning to unlock the door it's not responding. There's a red light that comes on when i press the remote so still a little juice left in the remote but not sure if maybe not enough to unlock the doors? Would changing the battery fix the issue? Has anyone experienced this? Just hope I don't have to re-program this thing. I only have one remote.

Update: Okay I just replaced the battery and remote is still not responding. Cannot unlock door or anything. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
I just had the same thing happen to me. I have the battery in correctly, but the remote does not function! Th red light flashed but nothing. The other remote that had a good working battery is working fine, but the one with the new battery does not work now?? Any help or sugguestions
Old 10-25-12, 12:48 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

One simple question.

Should I store the unused remote by taking the battery out? or Should I keep the battery in? I'm afraid that by keeping the battery out, the memory inside the remote will be deleted.

I ask because Lexus gave me two remote keys and I use only one. The other is kept at home.
Old 01-02-13, 01:58 PM
nautox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCWB
One simple question.

Should I store the unused remote by taking the battery out? or Should I keep the battery in? I'm afraid that by keeping the battery out, the memory inside the remote will be deleted.

I ask because Lexus gave me two remote keys and I use only one. The other is kept at home.
Yes, you can store the spare key without a battery in it, the memory will not be deleted.
In fact, you can start the car without having a battery in the remote by holding it up to the start
button on the dash. The only pain is that you have to slide the metal key out of it to open the door to get in the car.
I would keep a the remote and new battery together. It only takes 30 seconds to install the battery into the remote.
Old 08-16-16, 09:30 PM
punklexus
Rookie

Bumping this thread 3 years later since I need a spare key. Is current option the same. Order key off eBay /Amazon and then go to dealer to get it programmed for 60$?
Old 09-15-16, 04:13 PM
Fithamoto
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I need the same....just bought a used 2011 is250 with only one Fob....need to get a backup.

I have been looking for a way to get this done cheaper....I know there is a way not to pay over $400 from dealership to get another Fob.

Is there anybody out there.....this site is soooo slow with info!

Old 09-15-16, 06:29 PM
punklexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fithamoto
I need the same....just bought a used 2011 is250 with only one Fob....need to get a backup.

I have been looking for a way to get this done cheaper....I know there is a way not to pay over $400 from dealership to get another Fob.

I am in the same boat as you. LMK
Old 09-16-16, 04:36 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fithamoto

Go to mylparts.com, buy the fob, take to local dealer for programming..