IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart Key Fob Programming

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 05:52 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the 99 LS came with Smart Keyfob as of yet.
Old 08-23-10, 04:25 AM
sinamon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new fobs are available on Ebay for 80. A nice Lexus dealership will often reprogram a fob at no cost, especially if the customer is an attractive gal , wearing heels & a skirt/dress and showing a little cleavage
Old 08-27-10, 09:02 PM
bolligal
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid that uses the same smart key listed above. I bought a used one off ebay for $50 after my dealership told me they would program it for $25. Unfortunately when I brought it in, they said it's "impossible" to reprogram one after they have been programmed. I called the other dealership accorss town and then went there, they said the same thing. They both said I need to buy a new one for $200. Is there anywhere I can get a NEW one for cheaper than that. Or is there another dealership I should take my USED fob to that can reprogram it for me? I live in Portland, OR.
Old 08-28-10, 08:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They need to clear the whole system and add all the keys back in order to add a "used" key. It appears a lot of dealers are ignorant of this though and apparently are incapable of reading instructions.

Failing that, they do sell "new" ones on ebay for less than $200...for example-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-21-11, 08:49 AM
KLEUNG21
Driver School Candidate

Default Expensive

Just lost my keys about a month ago (I'm in TOronto) and have some updates.

1) Tried an "auto locksmith" who ordered a key for me but his software didn't seem up to the job.
Actually had me worried at one point as I was worried he was going to fry or brick my ECU and THAT's expensive.

Quoted price = $200 for keyfob/programming/valet key cut.

Look up keys4cars.ca

In the end, the poor guy spent 3 hours on my car and couldn't get it to work.

2) Went back to the dealership to get it done the next day (wasted enough of my time).

Cost => Just get the keyfob ($168). Pass on the valet key as it is only required to manually open the door. THe valet key was $130 cut and doesn't even start the car.

They did charge me $68 for programming.

I ordered a blank valet key off ebay for $10. You need that portion as the keys hang off the valet key portion. Not going to bother getting it cut.

IF you ever lose all your valet keys; you can get the key cut @ Lexus as they have your key cut code. You can also obtain your key cut code yourself.

SO, all in all, a painful and expensive experience.

I decided against the ebay route (where I get my own keyfob) as the auto locksmith / dealership could then just blame the ebay keyfob if it didn't work or they just wanted to be lazy about it.
Old 11-27-11, 12:28 PM
lkersten
Driver School Candidate

Default Key Programming

Attached is the section on programming the Key Fob from my copy of the Rx300 Repair Manual. I haven't tried it, but I've seen the same thing published around the internet. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2001Rx300KeyProgram.pdf (201.0 KB, 2788 views)
Old 11-27-11, 01:24 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by lkersten
Attached is the section on programming the Key Fob from my copy of the Rx300 Repair Manual. I haven't tried it, but I've seen the same thing published around the internet. Hope it helps.
It won't help. (You can't even perform the steps listed in that PDF, like inserting or removing the key from the ignition switch, as the 2IS doesn't have a key operated ignition)

The process for the smartkey equipped vehicles is completely different, and requires access to a Toyota Techstream scantool.
Old 11-28-11, 01:51 PM
gtsnake
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a really good price in Canada. I paid over $300 US for my extra key and got charged for programming too.
Old 12-17-11, 04:32 AM
LennyF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FrankyJ
Does anyone know the instructions to Program our Key Fobs. I ordered one from Sewell and I thought instructions would be delivered as well, but I was wrong, and the site says

so any help ill appreciate
what year is your car?
Old 05-11-12, 06:23 AM
nariusb
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
In regards to keys4cars.ca, they updated their software and now able to reprogram all keys, even used keys with regular or smart ignition.
Some early rx300 years require ECU reflash procedure to accept new keys when all are lost and the procedure is very different from the rest. Some dealers only replace this ecu and most have no clue what to do. It's not just the key any more like good old days but rather and integrated security network that has to be reprogrammed in addition to the transponder chip in the key = $$$
Don't loose your keys!
Old 05-11-12, 06:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nariusb
Hi,
In regards to keys4cars.ca, they updated their software and now able to reprogram all keys, even used keys with regular or smart ignition.
That's impossible.

To add a key to a 2IS you need to program the car not the key.

(and in the case of a used 2IS key, you have to do a master reset on the whole system).

In either case, it's not something you can order online. The car itself, not the key, needs to be hooked up to a techstream and reprogrammed.
Old 05-13-12, 11:52 AM
nariusb
Driver School Candidate

Yes, you right Kurtz that the car has to be programmed to accept new (used key).
In the previous post by "reprogram the keys" I ment to reprogram ecu to accept the keys. If a key is new virgin one, purchased from the dealer, then no reset is required but a used Ebay key will.
Toyota Techstream software is used to do reset. In the case of an IS - smart immo system is reset (made virgin). The Toyota programing subscription or SEED # calculator ir required to do that. Takes 16 min just to reset ECU. After the reset a used key is added in the system first and then the owner's original key.
Regards
Old 07-07-12, 02:06 AM
Vims
Rookie

Originally Posted by lkersten
Such a useful info, faced the same problem, hope it works on my GX470
Old 07-09-12, 10:41 AM
LennyF
Driver School Candidate

Default smart key programming

Originally Posted by t.is350.h
You have to bring it to the dealer to program it. You can't do it by yourself. The dealer will charge about $55 for programming the key fob.
I got two quotes from dealers, $75 and $125.
Old 10-05-12, 09:19 PM
my1stis
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,
I have 2007 IS250 and key was working perfectly until this morning. I saw a low battery alert while driving last week, so searched on CL to find out how to change battery. I ordered the batteries on ebay and waiting to receive them. I pop open the cover of the remote using the mechanical key a few nights ago just to learn how to open it when battery arrives, but when I tried using my key this morning to unlock the door it's not responding. There's a red light that comes on when i press the remote so still a little juice left in the remote but not sure if maybe not enough to unlock the doors? Would changing the battery fix the issue? Has anyone experienced this? Just hope I don't have to re-program this thing. I only have one remote.

Update: Okay I just replaced the battery and remote is still not responding. Cannot unlock door or anything. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Last edited by my1stis; 10-06-12 at 07:06 AM. Reason: new info

Quick Reply: Smart Key Fob Programming