IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tint the front windshield or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 04:49 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex350
Hello ssmoked, I've always had all my cars tinted and have experimented a lot with different shades/brands of tint. What I found out after my experiments was that the better UV protection and/or the darker they are, the better it will be to keep your car's interior looking pristine. Also, they provide other benefits such as increased privacy, reduce eye "tiredness" or whatever the term is , reduce glare, make the car's AC work better, improve the vehicle's appearance and even allows you to see the road better when it's raining heavily. Brands have a lot to do as well, whatever you do, install a good brand of tint because otherwise, they will not perform as intended and you will regret it later.

Anyway, to answer your question, I would recommend that you either tint the full windshield or not tint it at all. With the strip, you won't get much out of it (most times it doesn't even block a whole lot) except throwing $$$$ down the drain. The way I tint my cars now is 5% all around except the front windshield which I tint 30%. You won't notice the difference in the tints from the outside much, because the other tints are dark and give the impression that the front is darker, but it is the darkest I would go in the front windshield. I had 20% front windshield in my Corolla and was driving down a very dark road and almost crashed into another car that had no taillights. From then on, I experimented with lighter shades and 30% is just perfect, not too light nor too dark, and it works good even in dark roads. I tinted my IS just like I said before and I used 3M ColorStable tint Here's a pic so you can see how it looks...
Wow, now thats too an extreme which I will go against. I am trying to go with the lightest possible to prevent UV rays from killing my dash, wood on my steering wheel, etc.
Old 12-28-07, 05:04 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Um... how often in miami does anyone get pulled over for tints? *please raise you hand.
As I’ve said before, the issue is not whether you’ll get pulled over or not. Rather, it’s if you’re doing all you can to be a safe and responsible driver.
Old 12-28-07, 05:11 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Wow, now thats too an extreme which I will go against. I am trying to go with the lightest possible to prevent UV rays from killing my dash, wood on my steering wheel, etc.
On my car i have 80% tint on the whole windshield. The tint is very close to clear, being 80%.

Its a big help since i park my car mostly outside and it helps keeps things cooler inside, also you wont have that burning sensation when the sun is in front of you.

I would take a picture of it, but then you wont be able to tell its there.
Old 12-28-07, 05:33 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alex350
Hello ssmoked, I've always had all my cars tinted and have experimented a lot with different shades/brands of tint. What I found out after my experiments was that the better UV protection and/or the darker they are, the better it will be to keep your car's interior looking pristine. Also, they provide other benefits such as increased privacy, reduce eye "tiredness" or whatever the term is , reduce glare, make the car's AC work better, improve the vehicle's appearance and even allows you to see the road better when it's raining heavily. Brands have a lot to do as well, whatever you do, install a good brand of tint because otherwise, they will not perform as intended and you will regret it later.

Anyway, to answer your question, I would recommend that you either tint the full windshield or not tint it at all. With the strip, you won't get much out of it (most times it doesn't even block a whole lot) except throwing $$$$ down the drain. The way I tint my cars now is 5% all around except the front windshield which I tint 30%. You won't notice the difference in the tints from the outside much, because the other tints are dark and give the impression that the front is darker, but it is the darkest I would go in the front windshield. I had 20% front windshield in my Corolla and was driving down a very dark road and almost crashed into another car that had no taillights. From then on, I experimented with lighter shades and 30% is just perfect, not too light nor too dark, and it works good even in dark roads. I tinted my IS just like I said before and I used 3M ColorStable tint Here's a pic so you can see how it looks...
how do u pass vehicle inspections every year with that tint?
Old 12-28-07, 07:24 PM
tshek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
how do u pass vehicle inspections every year with that tint?
maybe he live in somewhere that don't have yearly inspection.
Old 12-28-07, 07:45 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

yeah im miami, there is no such thing. he might also be in puerto rico. hummm....

Alex350, did u use to live in Miami? I think I remember u from another forum.
Old 12-28-07, 09:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

thanks for the replies/advice. When I say tint the front wind shield, I meant only that strip that goes along the top of the glass. I think that would help the sun's glare and actually promote safety. From my experience, when the sun shines straight in my eye, I put the visor down and it actually blocks part of the vision. with the tint and sunglasses, i wouldn't need to flip down the visor to increase my vision when the sun is hitting my eyes dead on. I think any % of tint will "blind" you at night. I had a 35% tint on my ES (sold), and at night all I can see is headlights and can't even distinguish the shapes of the cars behind me. So i think going 20% won't make that big of a difference.
What brand will you guys recommend other than m3 (just to keep the options open). I found a local place willing to do my 20% for 110. Do you think that will be good quality tint?

Last edited by ssmoked; 12-28-07 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-28-07, 09:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arksun
So you finally got the car? Congrats! Hope to see some pics soon!

I don't have any pictures of my own tints, but this thread might give you some ideas:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=official+tint

I have 35% all-around (except windshield) and it's not too dark and not too light either. It looks good, IMO. I would've tinted my windshield maybe to 50% but I didn't want to bother with the law later on.
Big credits to you man and thanks for all the help!! I got a red with black interior manual for 27700+TTL at Palm Beach Lexus + travel gas for my other car. (BTW that place is fuging 5 star hotel nice)
Old 12-29-07, 12:41 AM
neil0311
Rookie

I won't preach about the wisdom of tinting your windshield, but I will remind you that if you kill or injure someone at night because you couldn't see 5 feet in front of the car, don't count on your insurance paying the bill. At best, you might end up bankrupt, while at worst you could be bankrupt and serving a prison term.

Tinting your windshield is not a smart idea (guess why it's illegal in all states and many countries?) and if you're worried about UV damage, most windshields already have a UV protective coating or you can add one that doesn't affect light transmittance.
Old 12-29-07, 05:53 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neil0311
I won't preach about the wisdom of tinting your windshield, but I will remind you that if you kill or injure someone at night because you couldn't see 5 feet in front of the car, don't count on your insurance paying the bill. At best, you might end up bankrupt, while at worst you could be bankrupt and serving a prison term.

Tinting your windshield is not a smart idea (guess why it's illegal in all states and many countries?) and if you're worried about UV damage, most windshields already have a UV protective coating or you can add one that doesn't affect light transmittance.
I don't see how a strip of tint at the top of the wind shield will block vision from 5 feet and kill
Old 12-29-07, 10:52 AM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Do it! I just had mine done about 2 weeks ago with 50% tint and it looks great! Now that Ive had it done, I wouldn't go back.
Old 12-29-07, 01:49 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

15 all around on mine, and 50% on the windshield.

Cloudy Day pics...

Old 12-29-07, 01:52 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you post side pictures of the tint?
Old 12-29-07, 01:55 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

See how much light the 50% still lets in compared to the 15%...

Side pics...

Old 12-29-07, 02:02 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good! Im debating on the side tints, im thinking of 20% in the rear and then 35% on the fronts but im not sure if it will look good.

Quick Reply: tint the front windshield or no?