IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tint the front windshield or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 12:29 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default tint the front windshield or no?

I know lot of you guys tinted your IS, I am getting a tint soon I want to know if I should tint the front windshield with the half strip of tint.
Does anyone have any pictures of their tint that they don't mind sharing?
also what does a 20% looks like?? pics
thanks
Old 12-28-07, 12:48 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna do it... was quoted $300 for all the windows. It was 3M CS tint... "best tint they have right now and will not ****** up ur antenna reception"

its like 80 bucks for 50% in the front... i want something more lighter then 50% but he said thats how it is everywhere. 35% for the sides and rear and 50% for the front.

20% is dark, what color car do u have? PLEASE don 't do half, its looks so ghetto and Hialeah style. full window with the lightest shade possible.
Old 12-28-07, 12:58 PM
arksun
Driver

So you finally got the car? Congrats! Hope to see some pics soon!

I don't have any pictures of my own tints, but this thread might give you some ideas:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=official+tint

I have 35% all-around (except windshield) and it's not too dark and not too light either. It looks good, IMO. I would've tinted my windshield maybe to 50% but I didn't want to bother with the law later on.
Old 12-28-07, 02:33 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Question ...... do you wear sunglasses while driving at night?? If no, then why would you want to tint your front windshield with any tint?? It's vanity at its stupidest, imvho.
Old 12-28-07, 02:36 PM
truoutkast
Pole Position

he's right about that part....wouldn't it be too dark @ night?
Old 12-28-07, 02:50 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

.... -.- can u see out ur window at night if ur windows tinted? i have 20% tint on my rearwindshield and i can still see
Old 12-28-07, 03:13 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Question ...... do you wear sunglasses while driving at night?? If no, then why would you want to tint your front windshield with any tint?? It's vanity at its stupidest, imvho.
I certainly agree with that. In regards to safety (and the law for that matter) it is not what a diligent driver does.

And the poster with 20% on the rear windshield who thinks he can see at night is kidding himself. You may be able to see some headlights while driving, but try backing up with someone standing behind the car in the dark and the chance of a mishap becomes quite high.
Old 12-28-07, 03:28 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

front windshield tint = asking for tickets => not a good idea.....
Old 12-28-07, 03:29 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

ya, dont do front windshield... visibility is worse and your going to spend more money removing it when you get pulled over
Old 12-28-07, 03:39 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Um... how often in miami does anyone get pulled over for tints? *please raise you hand.

Anyways, I have always had tints on my car except the front window and have never been pulled over for it. Some people over due it and put the darkest tints they can only to find out they cant see ****. i had 35% on all the windows and my car was painted with an eye catch color.

I am doing it to protect my leather, dash, etc from the UV rays... I like my interior clean and mint. Some of it is for myself, I hate it when the sun is in your face and you cant see anything. with the tint (50%) it helps reduce the glare and whatever else. I plan on getting 35% for the sides and rear. for the front it will be 50%, but if i can find anything lighter then I am down for it. With this combo of tint and as a lexus, its unlikely that police will bother with a tint ticket unless you are driving recklessly.
Old 12-28-07, 04:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i dont think ssmoked means the entire windshield. if they just do the strip at the top then its fine. i wouldnt cover the whole front windshield as that you are looking for trouble as nice as it may look.
Old 12-28-07, 04:13 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i never liked the strip in the front windshield but one came in at work and whoever tinted it did a good shop.. it actually looked pretty good... i have 15 all around and im thinking about doing 50 up front
Old 12-28-07, 04:36 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I know lot of you guys tinted your IS, I am getting a tint soon I want to know if I should tint the front windshield with the half strip of tint.
Does anyone have any pictures of their tint that they don't mind sharing?
also what does a 20% looks like?? pics
thanks
Hello ssmoked, I've always had all my cars tinted and have experimented a lot with different shades/brands of tint. What I found out after my experiments was that the better UV protection and/or the darker they are, the better it will be to keep your car's interior looking pristine. Also, they provide other benefits such as increased privacy, reduce eye "tiredness" or whatever the term is , reduce glare, make the car's AC work better, improve the vehicle's appearance and even allows you to see the road better when it's raining heavily. Brands have a lot to do as well, whatever you do, install a good brand of tint because otherwise, they will not perform as intended and you will regret it later.

Anyway, to answer your question, I would recommend that you either tint the full windshield or not tint it at all. With the strip, you won't get much out of it (most times it doesn't even block a whole lot) except throwing $$$$ down the drain. The way I tint my cars now is 5% all around except the front windshield which I tint 30%. You won't notice the difference in the tints from the outside much, because the other tints are dark and give the impression that the front is darker, but it is the darkest I would go in the front windshield. I had 20% front windshield in my Corolla and was driving down a very dark road and almost crashed into another car that had no taillights. From then on, I experimented with lighter shades and 30% is just perfect, not too light nor too dark, and it works good even in dark roads. I tinted my IS just like I said before and I used 3M ColorStable tint Here's a pic so you can see how it looks...
Attached Thumbnails tint the front windshield or no?-cl-driveway.jpg  
Old 12-28-07, 04:39 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
its looks so ghetto and Hialeah style.
I'm from South Florida too and I'm not sure exactly what Hialeah style is. Care to break it down for us not in the know??

I say don't tint the front window. If you're worried about your interior get one of those window shades you could put on when you're parked.
Old 12-28-07, 04:48 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ecr527
I'm from South Florida too and I'm not sure exactly what Hialeah style is. Care to break it down for us not in the know??

I say don't tint the front window. If you're worried about your interior get one of those window shades you could put on when you're parked.
How they do it in Hialeah!!!

Some image I goggled.

Quick Reply: tint the front windshield or no?