IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 08:48 AM
WManhattan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS in Germany

Is anyone here from Germany? I got a job offer in Munich and since my car (IS 350 Sports Pkg) is only a year old, I think I'm going to bring it with me. I know all the details regarding TUV and the requirements for German registration, luckily a luxury Japanese sports sedan sold in the US already meets all the requirements but for a few. E.g., I need to turn off the daytime running lights. Any reason that you can cite that would make me sell it instead?
Old 08-16-07, 09:09 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never! Keep it and take it with you!
Old 08-16-07, 09:20 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take it with you! Take it to the 'Ring!
Old 08-16-07, 09:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WManhattan
Is anyone here from Germany? I got a job offer in Munich and since my car (IS 350 Sports Pkg) is only a year old, I think I'm going to bring it with me. I know all the details regarding TUV and the requirements for German registration, luckily a luxury Japanese sports sedan sold in the US already meets all the requirements but for a few. E.g., I need to turn off the daytime running lights. Any reason that you can cite that would make me sell it instead?
Why do they require you to turn off the DRLs?
Old 08-16-07, 09:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I would keep it too, they don't have the IS350 over there.
Old 08-16-07, 10:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep it. Scare the Germans...
Old 08-16-07, 10:20 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

good idea to take it with you...but u need to consider maintenance, ordering parts....etc.

And YES! drive it in Nürburgring!
Old 08-16-07, 10:34 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Expensive car - no warranty - limited access to parts/technology for the IS350. Nope, I'd pass on taking it over, even if my employer would pay for it. Most likely you wouldn't have any problems with it, but too great a chance to take for me. I've been in these situations before, and in the cold light of day it never really makes that much sense to ship a vehicle overseas. Sell it and get something in Europe that you can't get in the US!!

Anything is possible and you can ship it to Germany and do all the paperwork, but in the end can you live with an expensive vehicle that has no warranty protection? That is an important consideration. Being able to get pricey Lexus parts in Germany is not really an issue, but having to pay for the parts and the labor yourself is something else. Not many would consider owning a one year old Lexus without a factory warranty protection, so make sure you are willing and able to cover any possible repair expenses yourself.

The other thing to consider is the eventual liquidation of the vehicle. The laws will vary, but unless you are going to pay all the duties and taxes when you import the car to Germany you may not be able to sell the car in Germany after you are done with it, in which case you will have to ship it back to the US. Make sure you understand exactly what you can do with the vehicle once you get it to Germany. You didn't say whether your employer is paying for the transportation or not, but if you are paying for it make sure you factor in all the shipping costs in your decision.

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-16-07 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 10:44 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Expensive car - no warranty - limited access to parts/technology for the IS350. Nope, I'd pass on taking it over, even if my employer would pay for it. Most likely you wouldn't have any problems with it, but too great a chance to take for me. I've been in these situations before, and in the cold light of day it never really makes that much sense to ship a vehicle overseas. Sell it and get something in Europe that you can't get in the US!!
It made sense for us.

We shipped over Volvo to Europe 4 years ago.
Old 08-16-07, 10:53 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've brought many cars to Europe and all of them were models that don't exist over there. Trust me parts are not a problem and can be ordered from anywhere and you would get them in no time. If I could have ordered parts for cars that don't even have a dealership in one small eastern European country you would not have any problems in Germany.

Once you bring the car you have two choices: 1)Title it in country where you would be spending most of the time 2)Drive it on US tags and occasionally cross the border and come back whenever law requires you to leave.

I have my cars on Florida tags running around the Europe no problems whatsoever. Just make sure you have valid insurance.

As far as registration goes it depends from country to country so make sure you ask. Germany might require you to turn off your DRLs but Austria requires you to have lights turn on whenever you start the car. In some you can't even title a car from US or Japan.
Old 08-16-07, 10:59 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

I think it would be cheaper to ship it, then to buy a new car there.

Or since your in Germany , might as well go with the bmw
Old 08-16-07, 02:44 PM
IS666
Driver School Candidate

For example - Audi A6 has DRL's, so I don't think you have to turn them off.

From my experience, I drove in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech R. with normal lights (low beam), and no one stoped me. The same goes to my friend in his A8.

The main corcern in Germany would be tinted windows (front side), because in most european countries you have to have 75% light transmision (so, in many cases - no tint) and us front lights.

Also, you have to be aware, that in EU petrol prices are higher than in US.

From what I have seen, there are many cars from USA in Germany so I don't think you will have a lot of trouble with registration.

The warranty - I can call my dealer and ask him about this, but for example: Jeep - if you buy a car in US and import it do EU you loose your warranty.

PS. There are some IS350 imported from US, so you won't be the only one.

If I can help you somehow - tell me what you need.

Regards from Poland,
Luke
Old 08-16-07, 04:08 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think German companies allow their employees to drive really nice cars because of certain tax writeoffs, so you should check with your employer to see if there's some sort of company car policy.
Old 08-17-07, 06:07 AM
WManhattan
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the input

Thanks for your input. A couple of things to clarify.

Lexus is all over the continent and in Germany and there is a Lexus dealer in Munich. I have seen at least one IS250 here and several RXs. In fact, the the IS250 is sold here, either as a 2.2 L diesel and both manual and automatic 2.5 L gas, including the sport package. They just don't sell the bigger engine, so parts/expertise for the car are no issue.

On the other hand, I have been told I will lose the warranty. I do not understand how they can do this, but evidently they can. It must have something to do with Lexus corporate and dealership agreements. I may look into what is available to me from Lexus Germany. Though, I have to admit, I am not that worried, though pissed off nonetheless. Afterall, the whole company guarantees the car, not just the dealership I bought it from.

Gas prices, well aware of that. Not the first time I'd be living in Germany, or in Munich for that matter. In fact, as I write this I am in Munich.

Company will pay for move (including car), but won't pay for a car there. I already got three quotes from car shipping companies, all three were the same, US$850.00. So even if they didn't pay, that is not much. As for specific German registration fees, I have to pay them no matter what car I have.

Re Evitzee's comment regarding getting rid of the car, there is no issue. I bought the car in the US more than 6 months before I moved here, there are no import duties at all. Further, I can sell it to anyone I like.

IS666 you can drive with them on, but if they are on when you get inspected in Germany you will fail, so I am told. So, all I have to do is turn them off for inspection and then turn them back on afterwards.

Again, thanks for the input. At this point, I am where I was yesterday, I'm going to bring the car over. Too bad the speed is electronically limited, but 142 MPH/230 KPH is fast enough for me in this car. Besides, with all the traffic on the Autobahn, as well as the numerous speed restrictions due to traffic flow/weather, etc., you really only get to drive about 110-110 MPH anyway.
Old 08-17-07, 07:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WManhattan
On the other hand, I have been told I will lose the warranty. I do not understand how they can do this, but evidently they can. It must have something to do with Lexus corporate and dealership agreements. I may look into what is available to me from Lexus Germany. Though, I have to admit, I am not that worried, though pissed off nonetheless. Afterall, the whole company guarantees the car, not just the dealership I bought it from.
Do not trust anyone's word--look at the warranty.

Quick Reply: IS in Germany