IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

first speeding ticket, need help on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 01:23 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first speeding ticket, need help on what to do

i just got my first speeding ticket ever!!!! and to make it worse i was doing 83 on a 45, i thought the limit was 60. i don't no what to do next i need your advice and does anyone know roughly how much the fine is gonna be?
Old 08-04-07, 01:29 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really dont know what the laws are like in MO but in hawaii you always fight it, cuz who knows the cop might not show up in court for it. IF he does show up, then plead guilty

ALSO

Dont worry it wont be your last
Old 08-04-07, 01:49 AM
fdelement
Driver

It'll be a couple bills but nothing an IS350 driver can't handle. The worst part for you will be the traffic school if you can't take it online. Seriously you shouldn't be going 83 on 45 to begin with, you never know who's gonna jump in the middle of the street.
Old 08-04-07, 01:50 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It you hadn't had one in a while ask for traffic school. This way it won't go on your record.

I got a speeding ticket one day after buying my IS350.
Old 08-04-07, 01:58 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aw man that sucks!

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
i been using the V1 one for bout 6 months now and when i have it on there is no such thing is speed limit,
Hope everything will turn out good
Old 08-04-07, 05:37 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just get a traffic lawyer, if you haven't had one before, he's more likely to get you of without traffic school.
Old 08-04-07, 07:19 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

83 in a 45 is a huge amount over the speed limit. Were there questionable circumstances or was it a clear case? (BTW, saying I thought the limit was 60 so I went 83 isn't going to cut it either) I think if it's just a standard fine with the option of traffic school, take it and run. Last thing you want to do is **** off a judge who'll give you a harsher penalty for wasting the court's time.

Hmm, now that I think about it, 83 in a 45 is much worse than 100 on a 65 or 70. I would consider consulting a lawyer first on the possible outcomes, because that's pretty bad...
Old 08-04-07, 07:27 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No matter what happens this will cost you. You can get a traffic lawyer ($) but you'll still pay for it one way or the other. What's your defense? Many states only allow traffic schools if you are <25 over the limit. You are way over (38 mph), so that option may not be available. Most courts would consider 38 over the limit as very extreme and they will not lilkely dismiss it easily. Unless you can mitigate the ticket your insurance will go up. I see you are only 20 yo, yikes!!

In the future, slow down. Ignorance of the speed limit will not fly in court and is no defense. Don't even go there.

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-04-07 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 08:00 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Almost 40 mph over the speed limit...isn't that a criminal offense? I am shocked that they didn't impound your car. This one is gonna cost ya...I don't feel sorry for you one bit...good luck...your gonna need it
Old 08-04-07, 08:10 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Thats going to be tough to get off something like that, but Good luck. Let us know what happens...hope u have learned your lesson.
Old 08-04-07, 08:31 AM
mir
Driver

How much was the ticket? Last time I had a speeding ticket I was going 87 at 55. But I was much younger 13 years ago too. Being a student it hurt bad to pay 204.00 to state of Florida.

Anyway, I would go to the court and plead. Judge may reduce the penalty. Good luck.
Old 08-04-07, 08:39 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by l1tech
Almost 40 mph over the speed limit...isn't that a criminal offense? I am shocked that they didn't impound your car. This one is gonna cost ya...I don't feel sorry for you one bit...good luck...your gonna need it
lol, your kidding right? Some of you guys crack me up Double the speed limit MIGHT be a misdemeanor in his state (which he didn't do). The cop won't take any drastic action for anything below 100 mph.

Get a traffic lawyer in the area that will know the judge. If it is your first ticket, you should be just fine. After that invest in a V1.
Old 08-04-07, 08:57 AM
CMF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
lol, your kidding right? Some of you guys crack me up Double the speed limit MIGHT be a misdemeanor in his state (which he didn't do). The cop won't take any drastic action for anything below 100 mph.

Get a traffic lawyer in the area that will know the judge. If it is your first ticket, you should be just fine. After that invest in a V1.

You'd be surprised. Not sure if it's the same now, but at one time 20 over the speed limit was considered wreckless driving in the state of TX and could get you arrested on the spot and have your car impounded.
Come to think of it, that was when the speed limit was 55 on the highways, but either way, every state has a different rule about what is and is not wreckless.
Old 08-04-07, 09:10 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Get a lawyer! I don't know about the judges in MO, but around here (AZ) they would literally throw the book at you. Young driver, fancy car, and extreme speed - the prosocuter will love that. I think you will need a good lawyer to get off with just a fine.

Steve
Old 08-04-07, 09:23 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Oregon has the same law as TX. 20+ can be considered reckless driving with your car impounded and the driver arrested. It's at the discretion of the 5-0.

Quick Reply: first speeding ticket, need help on what to do