IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why do when I "DIY", I break things...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 05:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Why do when I "DIY", I break things...

So, I changed my AC filter.

Upon retrieving the AC filter tray, the top hinged cover suddenly "popped" and is no longer held down firmly. It just flops about now.

What happened here?

How come when I do my own DIY maintenance, I end up breaking something, causing twice the hassle and cost to replace?

Needed to vent. I'm sooo frustrated, I want to break something, but I already did...
Old 07-31-07, 06:39 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea that usually happens so me too, either I brake something, scratch something, or something just doesnt go back the way it was before. BUT.... I think of this, when I think of that... I am convinced that these modern cars today cant be taken apart and put back together EXACTLY the way they were before. Too many cheap plastic parts. So, that being said Im convinced that ANYONE who takes the car apart breaks something, scratches something, or something doesnt fit right, YOU just dont know about it!!! Everytime I have taken a car to a dealer to have something done, something was always out of place or scratched or something bad. Most people just dont notice it, or think for some reason that shop monkeys can somehow do a better job than you who cares and has the utmost concern about your own vehicle can.

I add this to compliment your venting
Old 07-31-07, 08:30 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dang and you were just talking about that too with your k&n filter. maybe u jinxed yourself?
Old 07-31-07, 09:04 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I do the same thing!!! I just finished installing my springs and I broke a clip! darn it, good thing you dont see it!
Old 07-31-07, 09:05 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

BTW sorry for your mishap
Old 07-31-07, 10:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, I changed my AC filter.

Upon retrieving the AC filter tray, the top hinged cover suddenly "popped" and is no longer held down firmly. It just flops about now.

What happened here?

How come when I do my own DIY maintenance, I end up breaking something, causing twice the hassle and cost to replace?

Needed to vent. I'm sooo frustrated, I want to break something, but I already did...
Which top hinged cover? The one on the part behind the glovebox? Did you put the vent to recirc before you tried to get the filter out?
Old 08-01-07, 12:52 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL reminds me of the old days when i would rebuild T-2/T-3 motors in my garage for my 72 SR-5's (plural) and AFTER everything is put back into the car there would always be alot of extra bolts BUT i've never broken nething, not even stripped a headder bolt Breakage for me comes from driving, 'Pound it, Break it, Fix it, Pound it again'
Old 08-01-07, 07:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did you put the vent to recirc before you tried to get the filter out?
No. It seems that was something I overlooked...
Old 08-01-07, 07:39 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it's okay dude, we fail at things so we can get better at it. You can't just be good at DIY over night.
Old 08-01-07, 07:43 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

I do this sometimes because I'm impatient. I have to learn to take it slow and think everything through before I do it. A lot of us guys do not even read the manual. Then again, it's a learning process. I just won't make the same mistake twice.
Old 08-01-07, 08:12 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As flipsonic stated above, I used to break things too. Now, everytime I'm doing "DIY" I will always be careful.
Old 08-01-07, 08:21 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

we dont' read the manual because we have done many DIY before. After a while you get familiar with a lot of things, you can just look at it and able to tell how to disassemble and reinstall it before you even touch it.
Old 08-01-07, 08:24 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by tt061880
we dont' read the manual because we have done many DIY before. After a while you get familiar with a lot of things, you can just look at it and able to tell how to disassemble and reinstall it before you even touch it.
I have done many DIYs too. For me, not reading the manual may work sometimes but not all the time. It depends on what I'm working on. Sometimes, I find it would have taken me less time had I read the manual.
Old 08-01-07, 08:35 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tt061880
If you're talking about oil change and simple stuff then you don't need to read the manual. If you swap the engine, diagnose the problem then you need to read it.
Old 08-01-07, 09:06 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I hope you are not sharing this observation with your physical therapy clients! :P

Quick Reply: Why do when I "DIY", I break things...