IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 09:12 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems

I did the install today according to the no-drill DIY. I had a couple problems. My main concern is where the lip curves there is about a 2-3 mm gap. I have posted pics below of both sides. The end of the adhesive strip is not even touching the bumper. Is that normal? Also, the screw to the left (if you are facing the car) of the center screw is not screwing back in. I am able to fully put the screw into the hole and it just falls out. It doesn't seem like its catching. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Vik
Old 06-22-07, 09:22 PM
diablodude
Rookie

Superglue?
Old 06-22-07, 09:35 PM
Titus350
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem. I took the whole thing off and re-did the double sided tape with red 3MM. I also noticed that the "tangs" or "clips" that slide in, weren't in all the way. May sure you push those "clips" till they snap in. After that...no more gap. As far as the screws not going in...? Sorry I have no idea.
Old 06-22-07, 10:36 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You did not install the lip correctly. It needs to be inserted all the way.

Check out the noticeable gap.
Attached Thumbnails Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems-frontlip1um3.jpg  
Old 06-22-07, 11:15 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to install this tomorrow... does the part come with enough 3m tape? Should I use more than what's given in order for it to be flush? Thanks!
Old 06-22-07, 11:40 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I'm going to install this tomorrow... does the part come with enough 3m tape? Should I use more than what's given in order for it to be flush? Thanks!
Don't use anymore than then what it came with. That will cause a wide gap. You need to line-up all the inserts and push it in hard till it clicks or locks.
Old 06-23-07, 12:27 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the replies guys. The rest of the air dam is aligned properly. However, if I pull the center of the air dam out further, the gap gets smaller at the curves. I did this install without jacking up the car, so maybe I need to get some ramps and try reapplying it. Here are more pics:

Old 06-23-07, 01:10 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problems....
Old 06-23-07, 01:30 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the same problem too. i've learned to live with it tho...
Old 06-23-07, 04:19 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
i have the same problem too. i've learned to live with it tho...
Same Here, It Still Looks awesome!
Old 06-23-07, 06:36 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Your gaps are as large as mine? Mine looks abnormal because the end (closest to the center) of the adhesive strip is not even touching the car. I bought the ramps today and extra 3M molding tape. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna throw the car up on the ramps and redo it very carefully. I have a feeling one of the clips is not in properly because I cannot screw one of the bolt screws back in.
Old 06-23-07, 07:09 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay I just installed it this afternoon and same problem as the others. Gaps on both ends. Not really noticable unless you own the car and tried to install this yourself. Nobody else will know or care. Still I have a feeling if we drilled it and I used my own 3m tape instead of the tiny thin strip that was supplied it wont have any more gap. I tried pushing in really hard and everything seemed to snap in. Also my screws did align so.. ::shrug:: Oh well I wont redo it unless it really starts to bug me.
Old 06-23-07, 09:16 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

I spent about 3 hours installing mine, cussing up a storm the whole time trying to get rid of those gaps. One thing I did that helped was to put plastic cable ties thru the holes in the tabs on the dam after snapping them into the bumper slot. It seemed to pull the dam more to the shape of the bumper and minimized the corner gaps a little bit. Pulling the center section out a tiny bit while fitting & sticking the tape up around the sides also helps in the corners (align & tighten the center section last). Even so, I still have gaps but I think they're a little less pronounced than what I see in these pics. Last time I was at the dealer, I looked closely at one in the showroom and it also had gaps in the corners, but less than mine or yours.
Old 06-24-07, 01:36 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Talking FIXED (relatively)

Well, 4GRFSE-GFM and Dj_Amtrax were right. I rolled the car up on rhino ramps and unbolted everything. I carefully inspected all of the tabs and noticed that the tabs on the corners were not fully locked. I used some gentle force and I heard a loud snap of satisfaction. I did the same for the other side. A gap remains, but it is FAR smaller than previously.

Moral of the story: I would HIGHLY recommend getting ramps or jacking up the car. I was hardly able to fit my head under the car otherwise. Make sure all of the tabs are fully inserted and click.

Pics:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Last Q: Where are you guys using the cable ties? I did not see a place that would have helped reduce the gaps. I probably won't do it, as I am satisfied as it is now, but for other people who are doing the mod.

Thanks to everyone for all their help!
Old 06-24-07, 02:45 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You can get cable ties at radio shack or any hardware store
If you are going to work on it again can you take some pictures about these tabs ? It looks alot better, hopefully you can get rid of the little gap on the side too. Does the adhesive pad work now?

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems