IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine noise level

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 01:01 PM
mir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
How many of you heard the noise of a Hybrid engine? I bet you none and this includes me. This is what i'm meaning to say about engine noise whether it's the fan noise or whatever. I am 100% sure that a lexus (if not GS, the LS) is hybrid like in terms of engine noise at idle and no it's not the new Hybrid GS. One of the Lexus features I have always praised is this quietness of the engine
That depends, when it is running or idling? If I remember correctly, whenever the car is stopped the engine cuts off on hybrids. When you press gas pedal, the initial start is actually done by the electric motor, then slowly the gas engine comes online when gas pedal is pressed farther and picking up more speed.

So, hybrids will/should have Zero engine noise (other than fan maybe)
Old 06-19-07, 01:08 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Noise of a hybrid engine... umm... i dont go near hybrid cars to hear the motor, if one passes me while im walking in a parking lot my eyes may see it but then the brain doesnt register it...

Its like the differance between hearing and listening, you hear your gf/wife saying something, 'babble babble babble, ok dear?' so you respond with, 'huh oh yea, ok' all the while flicking the remote on the tv looking for something to watch.
Old 06-19-07, 01:43 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Noise of a hybrid engine... umm... i dont go near hybrid cars to hear the motor, if one passes me while im walking in a parking lot my eyes may see it but then the brain doesnt register it...

Its like the differance between hearing and listening, you hear your gf/wife saying something, 'babble babble babble, ok dear?' so you respond with, 'huh oh yea, ok' all the while flicking the remote on the tv looking for something to watch.
Hahaha.

truth.
Old 06-19-07, 03:00 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by ldc
Not sure if anyone has brought this up or not but is it me or is the Is engine noise level not as quiet as it should be.

I'm abit disappointed that the engine isnt as silent as the LS/Gs and i'm not sure why Lexus didnt make it so.

Anyone?
Lol, Ive posted before that the thing is way to passive for 300hp. I would prefer to hear the engine sing a LOT louder. It sounds like a washing machine at idol. At high RPM its starts to sing but not enough. My Sti would rattle dishes in my house with its deep growl. My IS350 "Sport" model should do so also.

This post reminds me of guys on the Sti forums asking for an Sti that didnt drive so harsh... Its called a minivan!!! GO GET HER!!!
Old 06-19-07, 03:14 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

You guys have got to be kidding me! A stock ISX50 is probably one of the more quieter cars I have ever gotten my hands on. That is one of the reasons I bought the car then I realized it was to quiet so I got the Tanabe. Guys just enjoy what you have and don't expect perfection including from an automaker that makes BMW look behind them.
Old 06-21-07, 03:50 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
You guys have got to be kidding me! A stock ISX50 is probably one of the more quieter cars I have ever gotten my hands on. That is one of the reasons I bought the car then I realized it was to quiet so I got the Tanabe. Guys just enjoy what you have and don't expect perfection including from an automaker that makes BMW look behind them.
I don't think i ever said the Is's engine is loud, i'm just saying it's not as quiet as i think it should be even though it has a touch of sportiness in it. If the sound is the fan spinning, then i definately think Lexus should address the noise, make it quiet somehow. It's just doesnt seem right looking at an 2IS and hearing the clicking sounds.

I also meant while it's idling and you standing next to the engine, not while you are driving. No complaints from inside and while cruising as i think cabin noise insulation is A1 in the Is.
Old 06-21-07, 09:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It's not the fans. They are electric and only cycle when the radiator reaches 210F. The noise you hear is the high pressure injectors, and it is unavoidable with the current technology.

Lexus have done an amazing job of controlling noise in a 306 hp engine. There are any number of design features to reduce noise in the powertrain. However, it is impossible to make a high pressure injector quiet - at least at this point in time - so you can have your pick: a 306 hp NA engine that gets exceptional gas mileage with a very broad and flat torque curve, or less mileage, less power, less mid-range torque, and quieter idling from another brand.

Personally, the noise isn't nearly as bad as a lot of other cars I have owned.
Old 06-21-07, 11:28 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

ROFL my 5.0 stang sets off car alarms when i rev it in parking lots but yea... im thinking of a borla muffler swap, love the sound of borlas, such a nice tone but sooooo expensive...
Old 06-21-07, 06:51 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks lobuxracer, i can now reason anyone who say the car is noisy...it's the injectors.

Speaking of which, does this high pressure injectors exists in 1IS and also on any other cars? I'm gonna do some listenning on cars as i am a partime valet attendant
Old 06-21-07, 06:54 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ldc
Thanks lobuxracer, i can now reason anyone who say the car is noisy...it's the injectors.

Speaking of which, does this high pressure injectors exists in 1IS and also on any other cars? I'm gonna do some listenning on cars as i am a partime valet attendant
I do know the new VW/Audi's use direct injection.
Old 06-21-07, 07:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc

No, they are unique to the 2IS in the Lexus line up. Mitsubishi has been selling GDI engines for some time though, and I would be surprised if you didn't hear their GDI engines making the same noise. I would also expect you've seen a few of these in Australia since used Japanese cars are pretty common and pretty cheap where you live.