Old 06-20-07, 09:04 PM
Junghyuk2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10k service/brake TSB/bad a/c odor

i have 06 250..
I went to dealership for 10k service, also with brake TSB,
it took them 2 days to finish all the work,
drove es350 for 2 days, which was nice...
since it was taking them more than a day, i asked them to check the a/c as well, because, starting about 2 weeks ago, there is bad smell coming from the vents, when outside air coming in, or when i turn the a/c on, when a/c is on, it only lasts few mins and goes away..

i get a call from service advisor today, saying he wants me to reschedule for a/c fix..which it'll take them full day or two..

on the receipt, tech noted, 'there is a procedure available to remedy odor from a/c vent, cust advised to reschedule'

service advisor really didn't mention much about what needs to be done, just said full day worth of work needs to be done on the car...

what do you guys think that needs to be done? anyone with similar trouble?

again, thanks for the help as always, CL rules..

p.s. i had to ask my brother to pick up the car, so couldn't feel the new pads yet, i hope it feels better, and no dust & squeaking...
Old 06-20-07, 10:18 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem that I asked the board for help with. Based on what I was told, "a day or two" sounds like too much. Should be a simple problem.

A couple people suggested running the heater at full blast for a few minutes. I tried that, and it didn't work (but I think I might not have done it long enough). Another suggestion was to buy some sort of spray and spray the vents. I'm not sure what to buy, though, so I haven't really proceded with that...

Apparently the smell is caused by mold.
Old 06-20-07, 10:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Moldy smell from the A/C vents? Is it more prominent with the A/C off with fans on?

You can kill that moldy smell if you turn on your heat to max with the fan on to max. Do it for about a couple of minutes and you "kill" the odor.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-20-07, 10:51 PM
Junghyuk2
Driver School Candidate

thanks, ill try those as soon as i can..
and RocketGuy3, yeah, i saw your post when i searched the forum..
exactly, that's what i figured also, full day worth of service doesn't sound right,
besides, i don't want to take apart the new car..
i wanted to see, if there was like a TSB or something like that.
and i think tech might have sprayed something, cuz there is lysol type of smell when i got into my car, so hopefully that helps as well..
Old 06-20-07, 11:06 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

The tech may be referring to TSIB #EG017-06, entitled "Excessive Sulfur Odor." It calls for replacement of the catalytic converter when customers complain of excessive sulfur odor during stop-and-go driving and heavy acceleration. I don't know if the odor you described could be called a "sulfur" odor...

Javier
Old 06-20-07, 11:09 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
The tech may be referring to TSIB #EG017-06, entitled "Excessive Sulfur Odor." It calls for replacement of the catalytic converter when customers complain of excessive sulfur odor during stop-and-go driving and heavy acceleration. I don't know if the odor you described could be called a "sulfur" odor...

Javier
If the smell is similar to rotten eggs, then it is the sulfur odor.
Old 06-21-07, 07:05 AM
Junghyuk2
Driver School Candidate

it's more like wet clothes not fully dried smell..lol..
there were some part numbers tech listed under the problem section, ill list them after work..
thanks guys..
Old 06-21-07, 07:24 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU

Javier
Probably not. That TSIB refers to odor coming from the tailpipe, not the A/C vents.

The problem that Junghyuk2 describes is affectionately known by folks in the HVAC field as "Dirty socks syndrome".

The way that this would be addressed by the shop would be to first make sure that drain and tube that carries condensate from the evaporator coil to under the car is clear. Then they'd clean the evaporator coil and condensate pan with a special cleaner.

I concur with the other posters that recommended running the heater at full blast to try to eliminate the problem, as that may be all that is needed.
Old 06-21-07, 12:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

If the heater method comes up short, take a look here at some professional quality cleaners for a/c systems.

The other thing to consider is keeping your air on the recirculate setting while running the a/c. This reduces the amount of moisture condensed from the air if you live in a humid place (as I now do). It also prevents the evaporator from icing up (as my MR2 did when in humid climates).
Old 06-21-07, 08:22 PM
Junghyuk2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys..
I'll definitely try heater fix this weekend..
Attached Thumbnails 10k service/brake TSB/bad a/c odor-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 06-21-07, 08:34 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

likely they'll just spray some sort of deodorizer in the vents and ductwork.
Old 06-21-07, 09:19 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I smelled this kind of musty damp smell from lots of other cars AC systems after I switch from AC to regular fan. I thought it was normal, guess not???