IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS250 Solid front disc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 08:53 AM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 IS250 Solid front disc?

I recently got my IS250 and didnt' realize it until now that my front disc is not ventilated. I've checked on www.edmunds.com and it should be ventilated front disc / solid rear disc brakes. Can anyone with a 2007 IS250 confirm that their front disc is ventilated or solid. I assume ventilated front disc means there should be holes drilled. Sorry for my ignorance as I don't know much about cars.

If the dealer or the manufacture made this mistake, can I take it back to them and have them change it?
Old 12-21-06, 08:59 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

A ventilated disc is one where there are slots that run along the edge of the the disc that uses ambient wind to dissipate gasses created when braking.

What you're thinking about is a drilled disc, like this:

Notice the lack of holes along the edge of the discs in the second picture. These discs are non-ventilated, cross-drilled, and slotted. The IS comes with the type of disc shown in the first picture. Hope this helps.

Javier
Old 12-21-06, 09:00 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

You'd see holes drilled in the rotor if they were "cross drilled". Ventilated just means that there's a space running down in between the outer sections of the rotor (look at the spaces that appear around the circumference of the rotor).

Ventilated:

Cross-drilled:
Old 12-21-06, 09:08 AM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Thanks for the quick reply. This makes a whole lot of sense now. Learn something new every day. Since most high performace cars have the disc with drill holes. I assume these are much better right? Common sense tells me that if it's not ventilated or drill.. then if it get really hot and the pads and roters may not grip as good.

Last edited by kqt2ktval; 12-21-06 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 09:20 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Cross drilled rotors do perform a little better, but are much worse when in comes to durability and reliability of the disc. The holes created in the disc make the surface more prone to cracking. For a street car, this is a big issue. You can create a similar level of performance by creating "dimpled" rotors, where instead of actual holes through the surface area of the disc, there are dimples, like a golf ball. The two discs on the right side of the picture below are dimpled:

This works toward the same goal as the cross-drilled discs, but helps maintain more of the structural integrity of the disc.

Javier
Old 12-21-06, 09:27 AM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kqt2ktval
Thanks for the quick reply. This makes a whole lot of sense now. Learn something new every day. Since most high performace cars have the disc with drill holes. I assume these are much better right? Common sense tells me that if it's not ventilated or drill.. then if it get really hot and the pads and roters may not grip as good.
Drilled or slotted rotors aren't necessarily better. The holes or slots are there to help remove brake dust or vapors during repeated heavy braking, like happens on a track.
For daily driving, even of the spirited kind, they don't offer much advantage IMO.

Ventilated disks do have an advantage even in daily driving, as keeping the rotor cool(er) helps avoid fade and rotor warping.
Old 12-21-06, 01:32 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think cross drilled/slotted rotors are also used for cosmetic purposes too...
Old 12-22-06, 07:07 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jsquared
i think cross drilled/slotted rotors are also used for cosmetic purposes too...
I would say drilled rotors are more cosmetic than functional, now if youre talking about a rotor that was pre engineered with the holes/slots in them thats a different story. At the NELOC meet in Baltimore I was able to get a close look at the IS350 GT2 Le Mans Racer and this thing had huge, solid rotors on it. I thought I had a picture of the rotor close up. But the next post will show the rotor from a distance

EDIT: I could not find the pictures from our Team Lexus meet on the NELOC secion.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-22-06 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-22-06, 07:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,861 Likes on 2,341 Posts

From here. Should be mandatory reading for anyone considering a brake upgrade from any manufacturer.

DRILLED VS SLOTTED ROTORS

For many years most racing rotors were drilled. There were two reasons - the holes gave the "fireband" boundary layer of gasses and particulate matter someplace to go and the edges of the holes gave the pad a better "bite".

Unfortunately the drilled holes also reduced the thermal capacity of the discs and served as very effective "stress raisers" significantly decreasing disc life. Improvements in friction materials have pretty much made the drilled rotor a thing of the past in racing. Most racing rotors currently feature a series of tangential slots or channels that serve the same purpose without the attendant disadvantages.