IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

bumper plugs came in! but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 01:32 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumper plugs came in! but...

but then when i went to take off my front license plate and the frame... the holes looked like they were drilled from the back to the front... the holes are as expected but then sticks out... like it pertrudes outward... yuck! anyone else have this experience? should i just sand or cut off the nasty excess and then install the plugs? anyone have a better method? i have an 07 is250
Old 12-14-06, 03:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm...

Use a flat nail clipper to clip off anything that juts out too much. Get a small file, and file from the center out, so that you scrape off any protrusions and irregular edges. Keep it simple; it ain't surgery...

Good luck!
Old 12-14-06, 04:03 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's the good news vs. bad news:

bad news - yes, it puckers out b/c of the way the bracket is drilled on there, nothing you can do about that

good news - the bolts used to hold on the bracket are actually smaller than the hole the bumper plugs need to fit in there. so you need to follow the instructions that came w/ the plugs and use the proper drill bit to make the hole even bigger. don't try to force the plugs in or else they won't sit right and when you pull it out you'll ruin the plugs. oh yeah, the good news part is that making the holes a little bigger reduces the pucker and evens out the surface a bit so the plugs sit nice and flush.
Old 12-14-06, 04:04 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

p.s. this is for the ones i ordered from bumperplugs.com. i am not sure if you ordered the same one, but that's how it works for the ones shipped by bumperplugs. any other company i am not sure.
Old 12-14-06, 11:27 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
here's the good news vs. bad news:

bad news - yes, it puckers out b/c of the way the bracket is drilled on there, nothing you can do about that

good news - the bolts used to hold on the bracket are actually smaller than the hole the bumper plugs need to fit in there. so you need to follow the instructions that came w/ the plugs and use the proper drill bit to make the hole even bigger. don't try to force the plugs in or else they won't sit right and when you pull it out you'll ruin the plugs. oh yeah, the good news part is that making the holes a little bigger reduces the pucker and evens out the surface a bit so the plugs sit nice and flush.

i did it with a small pocket knife and then drilled the holes as instructed. unfortunatly i got kinda scared and didnt drill enough.. i pushed the first one in and it was flush... the 2nd one i pushed in freakin didnt go in flushed = / i messed up. it looks good but just not as flushed as it should be... should i take them out re-drill and try to order another set? think the guys at bumperplug will feel sorry for me and give me a discount? lol this is when my ADD kicks in and get overly excited and dont do things right... i need to wokr on that issue of mine