Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problemo~
Old 12-09-06, 08:08 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
ok, lets try this again... The gear selector tells the car what the MAXIMUM gear it can go to is... If you start the car, put in in S and 6th, it will start in 1st, go to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th then 5th then 6th.

If you start the car, put it in S, and directly into 5th gear, the car will start in 1st, go to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th, then 5th and STAY in 5th. It will not go higher. When you slow down, it will downshift on its own all the way down to 1st regardless of what gear you have selected.
But if you just put in S, it will automatically go to 4 unless you put it into a higher OR lower gear.
Old 12-09-06, 08:11 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

What's your point? 4th will act in the same exact way as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th.... Just becuase it defaults to 4th doesn't mean it will start in 4th, it will still stat in 1st and go up to 4th. There is also nothing stopping you from selecting a different gear after you put in in S. You don't have to leave it at 4th
Old 12-09-06, 10:19 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimp350
Okay, I got a question!!!!

What happens if you start the car and put it in "S" mode IMMEDIATELY!! Can you than go up to 6th (maximum) gear?!?!

What about doing the same thing as ^^^ but you stop at a light, does it automatically shift down or do you have to do it?!? I am assuming that once the light turns green, you can resume shifting to max gear?!?
You can do any combination you want - nothing you do with the paddle shifters or the shift **** will force the gearbox into shifting. Here's how the 'New Car Features' section of the service manual describes 2IS transmission:

Originally Posted by Factory Service Manual
By moving the shift lever to the front (“+” position) or to the rear (“-” position), the driver can select the desired shift range position. Also, the shift paddle switch is adopted, which enables changing the shift ranges while the driver is holding the steering wheel. Thus, the driver is able to shift gears with a manual-like feel.

This Multi-mode automatic transmission is designed to allow the driver to switch the gear ranges; not for manually selecting single gears.

An S mode indicator light which illuminates when the S mode position is selected and a shift range indicator light, which indicates the range position, have been provided in the combination meter.
Oh, and for those of you afraid to shift into S-mode while driving for fear that you might be going too fast, don't worry. Following is the logic programmed into the gearbox:

As you can see, unless you're going insanely fast, you won't be hurting the transmission. Max speed for downshifting into 4th gear is 109 mph.

Javier
Old 12-09-06, 10:39 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

wow...
Thanks to you all.
Now I fully understand this.
I guess it will be good to speed up quickly, but not for downshift.
Old 12-10-06, 03:21 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

nothing wrong about it.. feels good to be cruising on the freeway and switch to S mode and have it electronically shift to 4th..
Old 12-10-06, 06:51 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, here's one, what if I select 1st gear as my range, will it shift further than 1st gear by itself?
Old 12-10-06, 07:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

it would be kinda lame if you wanted to pass, so you put it into S from D and have it stay in 6 then you have to paddle down two gears, when you hit it from D to S you need to pass quickly so that is why it jumps down to 4th gear

Originally Posted by clubfoot
OK, here's one, what if I select 1st gear as my range, will it shift further than 1st gear by itself?
no, the car wont shift past the gear number that is set, youll be redlining in 1st
Old 12-11-06, 05:59 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clubfoot
As has been stated here before, the car will not shift past the gear selected in S mode. So, no, it will not shift past 1st gear if first gear is selected. Anyone who has done some serious canyon running will know that this is not a useless feature.
Old 12-11-06, 07:01 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good I'm glad we agree on what it will do, that's why I threw that statement out there. I don't think the paddles are useless either if you; select 1st as your lowest gear, and shift manually up and down,...the down part is the important part otherwise it will remember the last shift as your upper range! I have found that there is a sufficient enough gap in the trans shifting down (automatically) that you can actually use the trans to enhance engine braking. Yes, I agree that there is lag in its selections but we know this and can compensate for it. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-11-06, 07:23 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Originally Posted by mctuners
wow...
Thanks to you all.
Now I fully understand this.
I guess it will be good to speed up quickly, but not for downshift.
I can downshift in mine fine. It just won't let me downshift to a gear that I would be redline in. I don't know about you guys but I love the sport mode. For the people who think it's useless, come out here to Tucson and I will take you to Mt. Lemmon. I'll do S mode and you stay in auto. I bet you couldn't stay close enough to even see me on that road. When I'm downshifting into a curve and staying high in the revs and then pulling hard in the apex all the way out, I know auto would be hard pressed to keep up with me. Its no formula 1 car, but IT IS my formula 1 car, if you know what I mean jelly bean
Old 12-11-06, 10:32 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Ok.. Now I got it..
It is just different from the tip auto that I had on my previous car; A4, which enabled me to shift into whichever gear I wanted to right away.
Thanks to you all.. I just learned one more thing about our IS.
Old 12-13-06, 01:36 PM
Kavistar
Rookie

Just a thought to add. S mode is also a very nice feature to have when driving in traffic. I can leave it in 1st or 2nd (even with the max set to 4th) and it will hold as long as I need it to without upshifting. A lot nicer than having the car shift all the time, but even more importantly, it makes it so you don't have to hit your brakes as often. You can just slow down using compression.
Old 12-13-06, 05:18 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kavistar
Just a thought to add. S mode is also a very nice feature to have when driving in traffic. I can leave it in 1st or 2nd (even with the max set to 4th) and it will hold as long as I need it to without upshifting. A lot nicer than having the car shift all the time, but even more importantly, it makes it so you don't have to hit your brakes as often. You can just slow down using compression.
Good point. I also use it when going downhill in parking garages...I usually don't need brakes until I get to the 1st floor of the garage.
Old 12-15-06, 08:27 PM
rhsmd
Driver

wow. this is very insightful. i'm waiting on my is 350. right now i drive a 2001 acura tl.
it's sequential shift, will shift down as you slow, but will not shift up automatically past 2ng gear. it is a very powerful(i.e. controlable ) system. too bad the lexus isn't set up similarly