IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is something wrong with my tip-tronic ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-06, 03:20 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is something wrong with my tip-tronic ?

HI.
On my 07 IS250 AWD, I noticed that the tip tronic does not work properly.
When I was driving on hwy @70 mph, I put my gear to 'S' then it displayed number '4' on the gauge and started raising rpm. So, I had to shift up to '6' manually to drive normally, but when I put it into 'D' mode and 'S' mode again, it shifted down to '4' again. Also, when I tried to drive in 'S' mode on rural areas with 25-35 speed limit, it does not shift into the gear I want it to be.
Is this only me, who is having this problem or something else?
thanks
Old 12-09-06, 03:24 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The computer does it, it's normal, they just go in the gear that they are pre-programmed so your car doesn't over or under-rev.
Old 12-09-06, 03:33 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't have a "tip-tronic" transmission. What is in your IS is a 6-speed automatic transmission with a selectable gear range. In other words, you cannot select which gear to be in, or even at what point to shift. The only thing S-mode gives you control over is the maximum gear the car is allowed to shift into. Which gear to use and when to shift are all electronically controlled.

Javier
Old 12-09-06, 03:48 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Oh, no~~~
so, does that mean that leaving it on 'S' mode will shift automatically as well, but more agressively with higher RPM?
Old 12-09-06, 03:58 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mctuners
Oh, no~~~
so, does that mean that leaving it on 'S' mode will shift automatically as well, but more agressively with higher RPM?
He pretty much mean that the paddle shifters are useless and lame.

The paddles do not do much, other than stop you from shifting past your selected Gear.

However, the car still shifts up and down as it pleases.
Old 12-09-06, 04:10 PM
Xelvic
Driver

WOW, I know I can hit the rev limiter in mine in s mode. It will hold the gear. Weird.
Old 12-09-06, 04:13 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

OK.. I'm confused now..
One says they are useless, but the other says it can hodl the gear.. which means it can control it.
Old 12-09-06, 04:20 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

OK.. I'm confused now..
One says they are useless, but the other says it can hodl the gear.. which means it can control it.
I think you're misreading the posts... Of course Xelvic can hit the rev limiter - if you don't allow the car to shift up, it will hit the limiter. As I said before, the only thing S-mode gives you control over is the maximum gear the car is allowed to shift into. So if you paddle up to 5th gear, the transmission will shift through gears 1 through 5, but not higher than 5.

Javier
Old 12-09-06, 04:27 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Oh, now it makes some sense.
I will try to prove it to myself.
Thanks, Javy
Old 12-09-06, 04:34 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

OK.. I'm confused now..
It's not useless, it's just not as usefull as some would like it. It does what it's designed to do. As has been stated several times, it lets you select the MAXIMUM gear. If for example you have 3rd selected, the car will not go past 3rd, it can however downshift to 2nd or 1st gear, even if you have 3rd selected... So basically if you have 3rd selected, you effectively have a 3 speed automatic transmission.
Old 12-09-06, 05:51 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Putting the car in S mode and selecting gear 6 is the samething as leaving the car in D. Try to press the DISP button to show which gear is being used to see how the transmission is working.
Old 12-09-06, 07:23 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Okay, I got a question!!!!

What happens if you start the car and put it in "S" mode IMMEDIATELY!! Can you than go up to 6th (maximum) gear?!?!

What about doing the same thing as ^^^ but you stop at a light, does it automatically shift down or do you have to do it?!? I am assuming that once the light turns green, you can resume shifting to max gear?!?
Old 12-09-06, 07:34 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
It's not useless, it's just not as usefull as some would like it. It does what it's designed to do. As has been stated several times, it lets you select the MAXIMUM gear. If for example you have 3rd selected, the car will not go past 3rd, it can however downshift to 2nd or 1st gear, even if you have 3rd selected... So basically if you have 3rd selected, you effectively have a 3 speed automatic transmission.
Well its not a manumatic. You dont control it. You just stop it from shifting up. Practically useless.

I just think its a farce. It shifts up and down as it pleases. In full auto mode, the car will hold to redline when you punch it. So why would you need to bounce of the limiter?
Old 12-09-06, 07:35 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

ok, lets try this again... The gear selector tells the car what the MAXIMUM gear it can go to is... If you start the car, put in in S and 6th, it will start in 1st, go to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th then 5th then 6th.

If you start the car, put it in S, and directly into 5th gear, the car will start in 1st, go to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th, then 5th and STAY in 5th. It will not go higher. When you slow down, it will downshift on its own all the way down to 1st regardless of what gear you have selected.
Old 12-09-06, 07:39 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Well its not a manumatic. You dont control it. You just stop it from shifting up. Practically useless.

I just think its a farce. It shifts up and down as it pleases. In full auto mode, the car will hold to redline when you punch it. So why would you need to bounce of the limiter?

True, its not manumatic, though it's very usefull to me when I'm going through the twisties, I like to hold a gear in a high rpm so I can use engien brakeing to slow down slightly then exit the turn at a high speed. I would not be able to do this in full auto mode, so it does have some benifits.

Or at times I like to hold 1st gear and make the back end come out a touch by dipping the throttle half way through a left turn or something like that (only as much as vdim allows, which is still fun)

Quick Reply: Is something wrong with my tip-tronic ?