IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlamp Washers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 05:46 PM
Pwyll
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp Washers...

Every now and then, when I am driving at night with the headlights on (obviously) and want to give the windshield a quick squirt of washer, the headlamp washers come on and spray (with a lot of force I might add) all over the front of the car. This happens at the same time that the windshield spayers activate

The manual indicates you can only wash the headlamps while the lights are on and you do so by pressing the headlamp washer button on the dash (under steering wheel, left side).

Does anyone else encounter this "sporadic" combined spraying when only pulling back the windshield wiper arm?

It sucks, because, even thought the headlamp washers use the same window **** as the wipers, for some reason, it comes out soapier looking and leaves drips and spots all over the front of the car and hood. So it sucks when you don't want to use them - especially when they're not supposed to come on without pressing the headlamp washer button!

I would appreciate any comments...

Thanks
Old 11-12-06, 05:54 PM
cowdung
Rookie

clean them while you are stopped and not moving. It the air pressure thats doing that.
Old 11-12-06, 06:46 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

The headlight washers come on EVERY time you wash the windshield with the headlights on. My Audi did this too; it's a feature I hate. Not only gets the front of the car dirty, but also wastes washer fluid.
Old 11-12-06, 06:51 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
The headlight washers come on EVERY time you wash the windshield with the headlights on. My Audi did this too; it's a feature I hate. Not only gets the front of the car dirty, but also wastes washer fluid.
I'm very glad I didn't pay for this "feature". Other than for the novelty factor, is there a real benefit to having these? I don't plan on going mudding in my IS350, so I can't imagine what I'd even use them for.
Old 11-12-06, 06:57 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 15951
I'm very glad I didn't pay for this "feature". Other than for the novelty factor, is there a real benefit to having these? I don't plan on going mudding in my IS350, so I can't imagine what I'd even use them for.
Well, if you ever bring your IS to snow country, they are helpful in removing the build up of salt and snow melting chemicals that really do reduce light output. But I'd MUCH rather push the headlamp washer button when this is needed instead of having them come on every time.
Old 11-12-06, 07:15 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you ever bring your IS to snow country, they are helpful in removing the build up of salt and snow melting chemicals that really do reduce light output. But I'd MUCH rather push the headlamp washer button when this is needed instead of having them come on every time.
Point well taken - I'm in Florida, so I was only thinking locally. I suppose they could be of use if you're killing a lot of bugs, too, but only if it's truly a massacre.
Old 11-12-06, 07:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

So theres a separate button for the headlight washers, however it still comes on every time you wash the windshield?? Then whats the purpose of the button??

I know on the Volvo and MB's they were automatic as well. As soon as you wash the windshield the headlight wipers either come on or the high pressure water sprays the headlights and the entire hood.
Old 11-12-06, 08:16 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, when I heard about this I modified my order and REMOVED the Headlamp washer option. Really upset me as I wanted it, but not when it's tied to the windshield washer button... They should really only come on when the button is pressed.... Booooooo on you Toyota
Old 11-12-06, 08:32 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

yeah...if you live in an area where there might be snow or light frost. Windshield washers help remove frost from the headlamps..so it doesnt look like your driving with two candles for headlights.
Old 11-13-06, 10:47 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

For this very reason I made certain my special order did NOT include
this feature. Its a shame they couldn't make it independent.
Old 11-13-06, 02:35 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

I have the headlight washers on my car and they never go on when I clean my windshield. They only go on when I press the button by the headlight washer button between the door and steering wheel.
Old 11-13-06, 04:27 PM
Pwyll
Driver

Exactly. The manual says nothing about the windshield cleaner and headlight cleaner working simultaneously. Plus, whey would they have a separate buttone for it.

It also doesn't make sense that sometimes it does it, and other times it doesn't.
Old 11-13-06, 05:18 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pwyll
Exactly. The manual says nothing about the windshield cleaner and headlight cleaner working simultaneously. Plus, whey would they have a separate buttone for it.

It also doesn't make sense that sometimes it does it, and other times it doesn't.
Its there just in case you want to just clean the headlamps and nothing else.
Old 11-14-06, 06:38 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Smoky350
I have the headlight washers on my car and they never go on when I clean my windshield. They only go on when I press the button by the headlight washer button between the door and steering wheel.
Try it with the headlights on. That is the only time they are linked.
Old 11-20-06, 09:27 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try it with the headlights on. That is the only time they are linked.
Bichon is correct. I tried it out on 2 IS350's at the dealership this weekend... If the headlights are on, then the headlamp washers will activate when you wash the windshield. There is no way to avoid this. It totally sucks.

Oh, you want to know why I tried it out on 2 IS350's this weekend? This dealership had the EXACT car I am special ordering (it was a special order that fell through) the only difference was the interior was black (which I like, although gray is my first choice, but I would take black interior) and it had the HW option. If only it didn't have the HW option I would have bought it... The salesman asked me "Are you 100% sure that HW operate with the windshield washers?" I said "99% sure". So we took them for a drive and sure enough, they were linked when the headlights were on...

Oh well, back to waiting for my special order to come in...

Quick Reply: Headlamp Washers...