IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlamp Washers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 10:13 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
Bichon is correct. I tried it out on 2 IS350's at the dealership this weekend... If the headlights are on, then the headlamp washers will activate when you wash the windshield. There is no way to avoid this. It totally sucks.

Oh, you want to know why I tried it out on 2 IS350's this weekend? This dealership had the EXACT car I am special ordering (it was a special order that fell through) the only difference was the interior was black (which I like, although gray is my first choice, but I would take black interior) and it had the HW option. If only it didn't have the HW option I would have bought it... The salesman asked me "Are you 100% sure that HW operate with the windshield washers?" I said "99% sure". So we took them for a drive and sure enough, they were linked when the headlights were on...

Oh well, back to waiting for my special order to come in...
Wow, I would have taken that car if you can get it discounted. If you don't like the headlight washer option, you can just pretend it doesn't exist. Then, no more waiting!
Old 11-20-06, 10:27 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Wow, I would have taken that car if you can get it discounted. If you don't like the headlight washer option, you can just pretend it doesn't exist. Then, no more waiting!
Heh, you're going to die when you hear this man...

Discount? They were willing to sell me the car at close to invoice... That's about $6,000 off MSRP. My current special order discount is only about $3,100... So I would have saved about $3,000....

But honestly bro, I want my car EXACTLY the way I want it... Everytime I sprayed the windshield washers at night and my hood gets splattered by the HWs, I would have been pissed off and wishing I had just waiting another few months and paid a few thousand dollars more...

When it comes to getting what I want, price really is no object... It's not the smartest thing to do fiscally, but I don't put a price on my personal desires...

My buddy was with me and told me that I was insane... He's like "Dude, you could drive off the lot NOW and save thousands!!! Who cares about the stupid $100 HW option!!!" The salesman was in awe as well... He was really shocked at how much I didn't want the HW...

The salesman was doing this over and over again:

Old 11-20-06, 10:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

To save $3,000, I would have looked at the service manual (TIS) to see if there is a way of disabling the headlight washers entirely. I'm guessing that there must be either a solenoid valve or second washer pump that causes them to spray at night; disabling the feature might be as simple as pulling off a connector.
Old 11-20-06, 11:08 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
To save $3,000, I would have looked at the service manual (TIS) to see if there is a way of disabling the headlight washers entirely. I'm guessing that there must be either a solenoid valve or second washer pump that causes them to spray at night; disabling the feature might be as simple as pulling off a connector.
Good point... I thought about that, but from what I saw the two systems seem pretty well connected. I wouldn't want any warning lights or other problems... I'm sure it could be done though properly though, just might take some work...

But alas, I don't like the look of those 2 rectangular pieces on the bumper either... Would that have been enough? I dunno, maybe, maybe not...

Oh ya, the car had 38 miles on it too... So I assume it has been test driven a few times... Again, not a huge deal, but yet another strike....
Old 11-20-06, 11:29 AM
Axvel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take a niddle and redirect the sprayers so they will be lover for headlight washers and thats it.
Old 11-20-06, 11:57 AM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Axvel
take a niddle and redirect the sprayers so they will be lover for headlight washers and thats it.
If I can translate this right..take a needle and redirect the sprayers so they will be lower? If that's what you mean it won't help much it will still blow up on the hood when driving.

Anyway, I just noticed the other night mine sprayed when I went to clean the windshield. I see very little use for HW, one of those things that I will never use and forget they are there. I guess Lexus' reason for this is....if your windshield gets dirty at night then your lights are as well and are washed for better visibility.
Old 11-20-06, 12:04 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kepeli
Anyway, I just noticed the other night mine sprayed when I went to clean the windshield. I see very little use for HW, one of those things that I will never use and forget they are there. I guess Lexus' reason for this is....if your windshield gets dirty at night then your lights are as well and are washed for better visibility.
I hate Lexus for forcing their wishes on us... If I want to wash my headlamps, I would press the headlamp washer button. That's what it's there for! I don't need Lexus to connect the two system together. That should be a personalization option.
Old 11-20-06, 01:23 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

For $3,000 you could have someone ride on your hood and wipe it down the two or three times per year you use the washers.

Dude, I would have so taken that deal. Can you still go back? LOL

Not trying to jinx you but I hope your special order comes in right...with everything you ordered. A bird in the hand.....
Old 11-20-06, 02:27 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
The headlight washers come on EVERY time you wash the windshield with the headlights on. My Audi did this too; it's a feature I hate. Not only gets the front of the car dirty, but also wastes washer fluid.
Not exactly. The headlamps are washed the FIRST TIME you wash your windshield after the lights come on. Subsequent washes only target the windshield. (if the lights are turned off then back on, the cycle restarts)
Old 11-20-06, 02:32 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

For $3,000 you could have someone ride on your hood and wipe it down the two or three times per year you use the washers.

Dude, I would have so taken that deal. Can you still go back? LOL

Not trying to jinx you but I hope your special order comes in right...with everything you ordered. A bird in the hand.....
lol!!! Yes, $3,000 can buy a lot...

Yes, I can go back and still get the deal, but I am not going to... I still want the sterling leather, and I don't want a car with 38 miles on the odo that's been sitting on the lot...

If you look in my signature, I have a scan of the computer printout showing the special order, all the options and colors were submitted correctly, so I assume when it comes in it will be correct...

NOW, the biggest kick in the ***** would be if my special order car comes in and they mistakenly added the HW option to it!!! ROFL!!
Old 11-20-06, 03:43 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread got me to thinking. Why oh why did I get the HW option. Well , here's why. When all my friends and neighbors gathered around to worship my new IS350 I wanted it to have ALL the options. I just couldn't see showing off my car with ML/NAV, PCS, etc., etc. and then having to say "well, no I did not spend $100.00 on the head light washing system". So, I guess I'll just not ever wash the windshield with the headlights on. But my car does have ALL the options, yessiree. Even the one that is mis-connected.
Old 11-20-06, 04:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^well that sorta what i was thinking as well but then i got to thinking, who is going to know if you got ALL the options if you get MOST ALL of them and the rare ones, nobody will ever see. I don't think anyone around here will ever seen an IS with HW...in fact, people keep asking me why I didn't get the AWD option.
Old 11-20-06, 05:08 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
Discount? They were willing to sell me the car at close to invoice... That's about $6,000 off MSRP. My current special order discount is only about $3,100... So I would have saved about $3,000....

My buddy was with me and told me that I was insane... He's like "Dude, you could drive off the lot NOW and save thousands!!! Who cares about the stupid $100 HW option!!!" The salesman was in awe as well... He was really shocked at how much I didn't want the HW...
Wow, don't know what to say - if it were me, I'd taken the deal in a heartbeat. Actually, I would've pushed the envelope to see just how bad the dealer wanted to move that car - swap out the rims for the X pkg rims (or G-spiders), throw in the front lip and the illum scuffplates. C'mon Technique, you're handy, if you're willing to do the Nav hack with a switch, you could've figured out the right wire or fuse to pull to kill the HW. Why can't these opportunities fall into my lap (LOL) . . .
Old 11-20-06, 08:15 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^well that sorta what i was thinking as well but then i got to thinking, who is going to know if you got ALL the options if you get MOST ALL of them and the rare ones, nobody will ever see. I don't think anyone around here will ever seen an IS with HW...in fact, people keep asking me why I didn't get the AWD option.
Good point. You are correct, most people don't know what was/is available, let alone whether we have it ALL or not. BUT WE know! Yes indeedy, I know every time I see that front bumper with the little bumps on the corners that I have that $100.00 HW option. You know, the one that washes the headlights, grill, hood and the leading edge of the roof.
Old 12-09-06, 04:23 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
Wow, don't know what to say - if it were me, I'd taken the deal in a heartbeat. Actually, I would've pushed the envelope to see just how bad the dealer wanted to move that car - swap out the rims for the X pkg rims (or G-spiders), throw in the front lip and the illum scuffplates. C'mon Technique, you're handy, if you're willing to do the Nav hack with a switch, you could've figured out the right wire or fuse to pull to kill the HW. Why can't these opportunities fall into my lap (LOL) . . .
OK, I finally realized I was being silly... Someone hooked me up with the Service Manual pages for the HW's and I see exactly how I can "unlink" the HW from the windshield washer...

So, last night, I canceled my special order (Since it was delayed by a month) and got the car on the lot... I didn't get it at invoice exactly, but I saved about another thousand dollars... And I got HW and Z1, and I have the car now...

Once I do the hack today, I will take pics and post...

Thanks for motivating me to do a little research... It's nice to finally have my car

Quick Reply: Headlamp Washers...