IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 01:10 PM
silver250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went to lexus the other day and they stated that these transmisions are serviceable..........they even recommended that the transmissions should be serviced around 30k miles and i also have a friend that's a master tech at toyota telling me that it should be serviced at around 50k...........my car is almost at 30k, so when i get it serviced hopefully i'll be able to get some pics to show
Old 02-23-07, 01:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car was put on a lift with the back wheels left to spin with the engine running and in gear, then it seems like most of the tranny fluid could be changed by pumping fresh fluid into the oul pan's drain plug while the excess (mostly old) fluid spills out the "fill bolt". If it could be done, then pumping 8 qts through would change about 75% of the fluid.
Old 02-23-07, 02:24 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silver250
i went to lexus the other day and they stated that these transmisions are serviceable..........they even recommended that the transmissions should be serviced around 30k miles and i also have a friend that's a master tech at toyota telling me that it should be serviced at around 50k...........my car is almost at 30k, so when i get it serviced hopefully i'll be able to get some pics to show

Lemme guess, you have a manual 250?
Old 02-23-07, 02:26 PM
silver250
Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
Lemme guess, you have a manual 250?
nope, automatic
Old 02-23-07, 02:49 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

I'm still confused why people want to service something that says is not serviceable in the manual. You could also change out your light bulbs every 30k but why on earth would you do that when they can last you over 100k?Then at the same time other people say that you dont need a 5k oil change and that 7.5k or 10k is sufficient.

I believe that some dealers will charge you for anything you ask for. Do my brakes need changing? Yea they have about 50% left, we'd recommend you get new pads, rotors, shim kit, and an alignment. We can also flush your coolant, and clean out your roller bearings. Grand total: $1500

I'm going to roll with what the manual says, I trust Lexus, their ingenuity, and their reliability more than any other mfg. Not messing with the tranny, but I will change oil every 5k miles.
Old 02-23-07, 02:49 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

i just did a search and i came up with nothing..........i was just wondering if anybody has changed their transmission fluid yet??
Just curious here. Did you read your owner's manuel? Assuming you did not based on your question perhaps you might want to take some time and do so.

For the record, the transmission fluid is good for at least 100,000 miles (automatic)

Not saying this is you but why is it so many people (in America) think the manufacturer's recommendation are wrong and go ahead and waste their money on useless maintenance...oil changes especially come to mind. Our European friends seem to be so much better informed than most of us here on what is truly needed as far as maintenence is concerned....

NO moderator.......I'm not trying to start an argument!
The following users liked this post:
rueshan (02-25-23)
Old 02-23-07, 02:58 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

My reasons for wanting to change the fluid is because I don't use my IS as it was "intended". I plan to tow my 3000 lbs boat with it whenever someone develops a receiver for it. I also plan to spend quite a bit of time running the hell out of it at road courses.
Old 02-24-07, 10:21 AM
silver250
Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
I'm still confused why people want to service something that says is not serviceable in the manual. You could also change out your light bulbs every 30k but why on earth would you do that when they can last you over 100k?Then at the same time other people say that you dont need a 5k oil change and that 7.5k or 10k is sufficient.

I believe that some dealers will charge you for anything you ask for. Do my brakes need changing? Yea they have about 50% left, we'd recommend you get new pads, rotors, shim kit, and an alignment. We can also flush your coolant, and clean out your roller bearings. Grand total: $1500

I'm going to roll with what the manual says, I trust Lexus, their ingenuity, and their reliability more than any other mfg. Not messing with the tranny, but I will change oil every 5k miles.
why wouldnt you want to change your transmission fluid? what happens after 100k then?? why do people change their oil at 5k instead of 10k? how are you going to compare a light bulb to a fluid change????? i'm not trying to get on your nerves or anything but i just dont feel comfortable with driving the car for that long without changing the fluids...........yea, lexus says it will last us 100k but what happens after? i've talked to lexus and toyota master techs with the same car and they said they would even change their fluids around 30-50k..........these are coming out of the mouths of people who work for lexus so what does that tell you?
Old 02-24-07, 10:24 AM
silver250
Driver

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Just curious here. Did you read your owner's manuel? Assuming you did not based on your question perhaps you might want to take some time and do so.

For the record, the transmission fluid is good for at least 100,000 miles (automatic)

Not saying this is you but why is it so many people (in America) think the manufacturer's recommendation are wrong and go ahead and waste their money on useless maintenance...oil changes especially come to mind. Our European friends seem to be so much better informed than most of us here on what is truly needed as far as maintenence is concerned....

NO moderator.......I'm not trying to start an argument!
yes i have read the manual, and where are you guys getting this "transmission fluid is good for AT LEAST 100k" and like i said again, what happens after 100k??

and also, im not trying to start an arguement
Old 02-24-07, 10:48 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

yes i have read the manual, and where are you guys getting this "transmission fluid is good for AT LEAST 100k" and like i said again, what happens after 100k??

and also, im not trying to start an arguement
i guess they just want you to go to the dealer and pay $$$ to replace your fluids. period.
Old 02-24-07, 11:15 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm going to change my auto tranny fluid on my 2IS at around 45k with oem Toyota fluid. When I do I will post pics of how to do it. Yes the tranny is serviceable. And there is no such thing as lifetime fluid. My dad has a shop and I will do it there.
Old 02-24-07, 01:10 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone know if it has a replaceable Tranny filter?
Old 02-24-07, 01:14 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Does anyone know if it has a replaceable Tranny filter?
I'm sure there is. Once you drop the oil pan then it will be exposed. Usually they are a metal screen type so you dont need to buy a new one from the dealer. You can just rinse it out. A new filter will cost $60+. Not worth it.
Old 02-24-07, 05:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You might want to look at this before assuming anything about this gearbox. See the filter info at the bottom too.
Attached Thumbnails transmission fluid-transmission-filter.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-24-07 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-24-07, 07:31 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

^^ Good post, thanks!

Where did you get these instructions from? The service manual?

Quick Reply: transmission fluid