IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 07:33 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about number 7, but number 5 looks like a duplication of number 3.
Old 02-24-07, 08:04 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I don't know about number 7, but number 5 looks like a duplication of number 3.
Number 7 is probably just for 2006 models because there is no Traction Control off button. For 2007's you probably can skip step 7 since you can turn of the TC.
Old 02-25-07, 02:42 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

what about 6MT? any instructions ?
Old 02-25-07, 04:22 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by silver250
yes i have read the manual, and where are you guys getting this "transmission fluid is good for AT LEAST 100k" and like i said again, what happens after 100k??

and also, im not trying to start an arguement
They're making it up. Nowhere in the manual does it make any mention of 100k miles being the life of the transmission fluid. It specifically states only that it is maintenance free and require no regular service. There is no interval specified.
Old 02-04-08, 12:00 AM
ISFTW
Driver

So any experiences with manual IS owners changing their tranny fluid yet yet I'm coming up on 30k miles and plan to do it then. I destroyed the transmission on my Honda Prelude after driving 90k miles and never changing the tranny oil, so I made sure to do it every 30k on my Subaru WRX. Switching to Redline synthetic also made a noticeable difference.
Old 03-19-08, 03:10 PM
RED_IS250
Rookie

I'm about that time, 45K miles and Would like to do the ATF change.

Anyone with tips? I'm not familiar with Toyota/Lexus. But fairly technical oriented since I've been doing all the maintenance jobs on my other cars (Honda & Nissan)
Old 03-19-08, 03:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RED_IS250
I'm about that time, 45K miles and Would like to do the ATF change.

Anyone with tips? I'm not familiar with Toyota/Lexus. But fairly technical oriented since I've been doing all the maintenance jobs on my other cars (Honda & Nissan)
You didn't read the thread, did you? The transmission fluid can't be changed.
Old 03-19-08, 03:57 PM
RED_IS250
Rookie

Yes, I read the thread. But post #44 shows that it's doable. It's not that it can't, but it's a PITA for sure.

Last edited by RED_IS250; 03-19-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 05:11 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RED_IS250
Yes, I read the thread. But post #44 shows that it's doable. It's not that it can't, but it's a PITA for sure.
In what way does post 44 describe how to change the fluid? It looks to me like it only shows how to add fluid if it's low, not how to drain it. Dropping the oil pan only allows you to remove a small percentage. Unless you are going to change the small amount, drive it, change it again, drive it, change it again, repeat, repeat ... repeat 20+ times, what's the point?
Old 03-19-08, 05:22 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Of course it can be changed. What happens at 100k miles? Magically the fluid will get changed by itself? What if you run over something and it punctures your auto transmission pan and the fluid leaks out? So it never can be filled cuz its "sealed"?

Once again, there is no such thing as a "sealed transmission". Lexus just says that because they dont want people messing with it.

There HAS to be a way to fill/refill a transmission.

I think its a good idea to change the auto tranny fluid way before 100k miles.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 03-19-08 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 05:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Lexus doesn't. Why are you insistent on changing it when there is no need? Because that's what you've always done?
Old 03-19-08, 06:06 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Lexus doesn't. Why are you insistent on changing it when there is no need? Because that's what you've always done?
Same reason why many BMW owners dont wait till the recommended 15k mile interval oil change.

To people who actually own the car (not ppl that lease) is just extra insurance for the tranny to run healthy for a long time. Thats all.

Look what happend with e46 BMW's "lifetime" auto transmissions. They were failing left and right even before hitting 100k miles. Once their warranty was up of course then the owner of the car gets a big fat repair bill to fix the tranny.
Old 03-19-08, 07:17 PM
maxnix
Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by muzzman1
No can do, it is a "sealed" transmission. It will "never" need to be serviced. (As per Lexus)
If you believe that old BMW rant, I have some sea shore property in Nebraska I could sell you cheap.

Remember, the only "lifetime" that an OEM is concerned about is the initial warrranty period when repairs are on their dime. After that, it is all on the owner's dime.

Most OEM consider the life of a car as 100K, when in fact a well maintained one will exceed this by two or three times.

Drain and refill is merely a dilution of the contaminated ATF. A true mechanical exchange will replace 98% of the fluid.

www.bgprod.com or www.bgfindashop.com

SnapOn also makes a ATF exchange machine under the Sun brand.

So what do owner's here do about the PS fluid? Hmmmm....I wonder.

Last edited by maxnix; 04-28-08 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 08:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
... What if you run over something and it punctures your auto transmission pan and the fluid leaks out? So it never can be filled cuz its "sealed"?
Did you not read post 44? The transmission pan can easily be replaced, and the fluid can easily be refilled. What CAN'T be done is a full fluid replacement.
Old 03-19-08, 10:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by maxnix
If you believe that old BMW rant, I have some sea shore property in Nebraska I cold sell you cheap.

Remember, the only "lifetime" that an OEM is concerned about is the initial warrranty period when repairs are on their dime. After that, it is all on the owner's dime.

Most OEM consider the life of a car as 100K, when in fact a well maintained one will exceed this by two or three times.

Drain and refill is merely a dilution of the contaminated ATF. A true mechanical exchange will replace 98% of the fluid.

www.bgprod.com or www.bgfindashop.com

SnapOn also makes a ATF exchange machine under the Sun brand.

So what do owner's here do about the PS fluid? Hmmmm....I wonder.

Well, let's see here, since there are NO external connections to the transmission where the fluid can exit besides the pan drain, your nifty machine won't be able to do anything with this gearbox. Maybe you missed the comment - it has a water/oil cooler mounted on the side of the thing. COOLANT lines run to the heat exchanger, so there is NO ACCESS to the fluid without removing the cooler completely.

Also, if you could do us all a huge favor, please remove the engine covers and locate the power steering reservoir. We'd all like to know where it is, since the power steering is electronically controlled, not hydraulically controlled.

It's really sad to say, I'm the old guy here and it seems I'm more current on the technology that the new pups. Pretty sad.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-19-08 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid