IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 09:37 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the manual state anything in the IS350 about the FIRST oil change? Sometimes the car has "break-in" oil, which should be left in for a minimum # of miles, like 5000 or whatever. Just curious...
Old 09-07-06, 12:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I searched the entire repair manual and it doesn't have a "change interval" specified. It gives complete procedures for replacing lost oil including a table with the amount necessary for different procedures. There is no mention of a break in oil.

Performed Repair : Fill Amount
Transmission oil pan and drain plug removal : 1.3 liters (1.37 US qts, 1.14 lmp. qts)
Transmission valve body removal : 3.4 liters (3.59 US qts, 2.99 lmp. qts)
Torque converter removal : 4.5 liters (4.76 US qts, 3.96 lmp. qts)
Entire transmission assembly : 7.8 liters (8.24 US qts, 6.86 lmp. qts)
Also, after perusing this some more, there are two things on the oil pan that appear to be drains. One is in fact a drain, the other is the overflow plug. So it is possible to drain the pan without making a big mess (unlike some ATs that have no drain and expect you to drop the pan full of fluid without making a big mess.)
Old 10-10-06, 12:33 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If no change interval is mentioned in the IS350 manual or the repair manual, does this mean it’s been designed for lifetime use? Tammy mentioned 100,000 miles but I haven’t seen that in writing anywhere either.

For the ones racing/dragging their IS are you planning on changing your transmission oil?
Old 10-10-06, 12:54 PM
jezza
Driver

Had anyone bothered to look at the maintenance supplement, you'd find the following:

M A I N T E N A N C E
S c h e d u l e d M a i n t e n a n c e L o g
E X P L A N AT I O N O F M A I N T E N A N C E I T E M S
Transmission Fluid
Check for correct fluid level and inspect each transmission
component for signs of leakage. If you discover
any leakage, have it repaired by a qualified
technician immediately.
Note: On the LS 430, GS and IS, the transmission
and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit.
Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the
transmission fluid are not required, and there is no
dipstick on the transmission on these vehicles. Any
repairs that require adding or replacing fluid should
be performed by a qualified technician following procedures
in Lexus service and repair publications.
Variable Gear Ratio Steering Assembly (GS 430)
Inspect the variable gear ratio steering assembly for
damage and loose electrical connections. Tighten
connections and if you discover any damage, have
it repaired immediately by a qualified technician.
i.e. there is no fluid change interval because according to Lexus, it doesn't need to be changed unless there's some other issue.
Old 10-10-06, 12:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jezza
Had anyone bothered to look at the maintenance supplement, you'd find the following:

i.e. there is no fluid change interval because according to Lexus, it doesn't need to be changed unless there's some other issue.
I don't like these designs and I think some of the BMWs have something similar. What kind of ATF are they using in your vehicles, Type-IV?

No transmission fluid I know of is lifetime.

Seems to me like an idea to eliminate the DIY job and make Lexus some more $$$, forcing one to take it back to the dealer (though one could take it to an independent).
Old 10-10-06, 03:28 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I don't like these designs and I think some of the BMWs have something similar. What kind of ATF are they using in your vehicles, Type-IV?

Seems to me like an idea to eliminate the DIY job and make Lexus some more $$$, forcing one to take it back to the dealer (though one could take it to an independent).
It is Toyota ATF WS wich was introduced in 2004 for the 04 4Runner (2UZ–FE), Land Cruiser & Prius. I believe it stands for World Standard. It’s not interchangeable with other types of ATF otherwise interesting symptoms may occur.

“The following symptoms will occur if ATF WS is put into a non−WS automatic transmission:
- The viscosity of ATF WS is lower than other ATF. Because to this, response to changes
in fluid pressure increases and shift change time shortens, causing shift shock.
- If WS is filled to a non−WS automatic transmission, the fluid blows out when the temperature
is high (approximately 140̊C (284̊F)).”

It seems like it is lifetime if no problems are detected. Since I haven’t heard of any problems for the 4Runner, Land Cruiser & Prius we can only assume it will also do right for our cars.
Old 10-10-06, 03:46 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid.

BMW owners know this when they had to change there step auto tranny at 80k miles or so with their own "lifetime fluid".

I'm changing my auto fluid at around 30-40k miles just for cheap insurance.

Lexus are other manufacturers say liketime because most likely the tranny wont fail before 100k miles. But after 100k miles when warrenty is up the tranny is more prone to break due to the lack of fluid changes. This means money out your YOUR pocket and into Lexus.

I do not believe in a "lifetime" fluid. There is no such thing. Whenever there is moving parts fluid will get dirty and and cause issues if not changed regularly.
Old 10-31-06, 01:41 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Are you a vehicle engineer? Are seriously well versed in all new lubricant technologies? Maybe you are, I'm not sure.

If Lexus was trying to make money off of transmission fluid replacement and trying to "trick" the DIY'ers, why the HELL would they recommend that you never come in to have it changed?

People here are comparing these cars to the BMWs...does that mean that our cars will also be riddled with the other problems BMWs have? Maybe our engine will also begin to crack and blow pistons, rods, and cylinders just like the Audis...hmmmmmmm
Old 10-31-06, 01:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
Are you a vehicle engineer? Are seriously well versed in all new lubricant technologies? Maybe you are, I'm not sure.

If Lexus was trying to make money off of transmission fluid replacement and trying to "trick" the DIY'ers, why the HELL would they recommend that you never come in to have it changed?

People here are comparing these cars to the BMWs...does that mean that our cars will also be riddled with the other problems BMWs have? Maybe our engine will also begin to crack and blow pistons, rods, and cylinders just like the Audis...hmmmmmmm
I might be, thanks for asking. JK

The fact is that any fluid saying lifetime doesn't make sense.

Even in my RX300 owner's manual they only take about ATF replacement under certain severe conditions. Don't forget it's not just fluid, what about the tranny filter and the stuff accumuated on the magnets of the pan.
Old 10-31-06, 04:42 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might be, thanks for asking. JK

The fact is that any fluid saying lifetime doesn't make sense.

Even in my RX300 owner's manual they only take about ATF replacement under certain severe conditions. Don't forget it's not just fluid, what about the tranny filter and the stuff accumulated on the magnets of the pan.
You know, I remember when you had to repack the front wheel bearings and when the newer cars came out with sealed bearings I freaked out and even called Nissan (the car at the time) and asked them at what point do I need to do something. There response: Never......there sealed.

Point of this: The tranny does not require any maintence....get use to it and move on.

Remember changing the antifreeze every two years or so? Did you check the notice under the hood about antifreeze? To be changed at 100,000 miles.

Remember changing spark plugs every 20 thousand miles or so? Now it's at 100,000 miles. Times have changed.... move on and enjoy the news...
Old 11-01-06, 10:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gtidan
You know, I remember when you had to repack the front wheel bearings and when the newer cars came out with sealed bearings I freaked out and even called Nissan (the car at the time) and asked them at what point do I need to do something. There response: Never......there sealed.

Point of this: The tranny does not require any maintence....get use to it and move on.

Remember changing the antifreeze every two years or so? Did you check the notice under the hood about antifreeze? To be changed at 100,000 miles.

Remember changing spark plugs every 20 thousand miles or so? Now it's at 100,000 miles. Times have changed.... move on and enjoy the news...
True, it is the wave of the future.

My only concern is when we have someone in our RX300 forum who gets a dead tranny even when they changed the ATF according to Lexus maintenance schedules.

BTW, I like one of your past rides, a VR6, my cousin loves his 95 and we have been modding it to death.
Old 11-01-06, 10:31 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

cant be sealed. fluid has to flow into a cooler somewhere. and where it does there are fittings/lines you can take apart and hook a t-teck machine up to
Old 11-02-06, 08:28 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, it is the wave of the future.

BTW, I like one of your past rides, a VR6, my cousin loves his 95 and we have been modding it to death.
Me toooo.
I had an Autotech chip installed along with a lowered suspension and cat/back exhaust and PIAA lamps. Much fun to drive and had many nice cruises up the California coast running along in the 90s when able.

What prompted me to trade it was the beginning of a blown head gasket brought on (I think) by a high speed run across the desert in 118 degree heat. The oil temp reached 250+ before I noticed it and slowed down.

Anyhow.......guess it was meant to be and I love my Lexus. Completely difference ride but in my old age I've come to enjoy the quiet and utter smoothness of that V6.......
Old 11-02-06, 09:18 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
cant be sealed. fluid has to flow into a cooler somewhere. and where it does there are fittings/lines you can take apart and hook a t-teck machine up to

My understanding is the coolant runs to the transmission and the heat transfer is performed inside the transmission.
Old 11-02-06, 11:08 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tammy
My understanding is the coolant runs to the transmission and the heat transfer is performed inside the transmission.

I think you are correct. Hence the term "sealed transmission".

By the way...anyone who is silly enough to attempt their own transmission service on these cars deserves the crappy shifting box they'll probably get in return for messing with a perfectly fine transmission with no scheduled maintanence intervals.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid