IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

clear bra...is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 12:45 PM
sizzlingde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear bra...is it worth it?

clear bra...is it worth spending a few hundereds?.....I was at my lexus deala today and he gave me a quote for $750.00....how many of you guys have it done? does it help with look ....or protection?....
Old 07-17-06, 01:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yes. Definately.

But do your research. Read posts on clear bra; use "Search." You'll find a lot of people who got clear bra, and for so much less.

Where in Cali are you at? Aerotech is a great resource for clear bra products and service.
Old 07-17-06, 01:23 PM
BN06
Rookie

I have about seven years experience on various vehicles with the "clear bra" paint protector film(s). Personally, I would not drive a car off a dealer lot without the film. Its that good at protecting. The price varies considerably from installer to installer and from dealer to indy shop.

Any price under $800 is worth it IMO as long as you get the following:

* Full Front Kit (longer hood piece, mirrors, head/fog lights.
* Custom cut kit vs. a bulk cut (has tighter tolerances, covers little things like headlamp washers).etc
* Front wheel well splash area
* Rear wheel well spash area (basically where the mud guard would mount)
* Fuel Filler door (underneath)
* Inside door grab handle area (front and rear doors)

Some people get a strip along the rear bumper area where it is at its furthermost point. I don't have that on the 2IS but I had it on an A4 and it was worth the extra $$. Some people also do the ground effect area (lower passenger door area). I have never done that but it may not be a bad idea. Also, some people do the inside door sill area where you often find shoe scrapes etc . . . I think that is overkill but hey its your money.

The minimal front kit without headlight/foglight should be in the $300 range. Definitely get the large piece for the mirrors on the 2IS. Some have a small piece and some shops have a custom cut LARGE piece that virtually covers the mirror. I think the large piece looks better because you dont' notice the edge. However, the large piece must be installed properly or you have problems with the curves etc... Any reasonably experienced shop should have no problem.

my .02 + 1/2
Old 07-17-06, 01:37 PM
jezza
Driver

For me it's worth it. All my driving is high speed in traffic, which means the front of the car takes a beating. My last car, after only 3 years, was pretty horrid.

I paid $200 for my clear bra (autobahn) through my dealer, which is their cost. That included the hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors. I think anything over $500 is a rip, but if they can get it, there's not much to stop them.

However, if you're negotiating it as part of a new car purchase, I'll bet you could get it out of them for a lot less than $750.
Old 07-17-06, 04:01 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

take it from someone who regrets not getting a clear bra...get a clear bra! now i have tiny little chips that bugs that crap out of me whenever I see it.
Old 07-17-06, 04:17 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think clearbras are really worth the investment since the freeways are always full of junk like wood chunks and crap. Of course it won't protect you from those huge rocks that will dent just about anything. The paint on newer cars are a lot thinner so you might experience a lot of chips if you don't get a clearbra, assuming you drive on the freeway often.
Old 07-17-06, 04:27 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another yes, here. It's no doubt spendy as the cheapest place in my town does it for $650. However, I see it as somewhat of an investment as it will certainly help with re-sale value. It could be the difference between a car that is classified as 'good' and one that is classified as 'fair.'
Old 07-18-06, 06:25 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

I have one and to be honest I probably rather have the $590 I paid for it. I don't think Rock chips as bad in Florida as in say Michigan (I used to live there). So for me personally I don't think it's worth it. I also got some wax under it (my fault of course) so that's a bit annoying. But it does make detailing the car a bit more difficult, you have to tape it off to be 100% safe.
Old 07-18-06, 04:03 PM
BN06
Rookie

Originally Posted by jezza
For me it's worth it. All my driving is high speed in traffic, which means the front of the car takes a beating. My last car, after only 3 years, was pretty horrid.

I paid $200 for my clear bra (autobahn) through my dealer, which is their cost. That included the hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors. I think anything over $500 is a rip, but if they can get it, there's not much to stop them.

However, if you're negotiating it as part of a new car purchase, I'll bet you could get it out of them for a lot less than $750.

$200?? Damn thats cheap . Thats the cheapest I have seen since I started using the clear bra here in the N.E.. The best price I have seen for a full front kit (any make/model) was $495. That is retail but still $200 is cheap. If I got it for $200 it would not even be a remote consideration. Thats about 3.5 fuel fill-ups. Around the N.E. with sand, rocks, salt, and other debris, the clear bra is priceless IMO. Especially if you are talking about the cost of an afterwork quickie night out in Boston with just apps and drinks for 3-4 ppl. I paid $650 for everything including the head/fog lights, fuel filler door, door grabs, and splash panels.

Which dealer if you don't mind me asking?