IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tired of all the narrow minded comments....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-05, 11:01 PM
ilitig8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
This has definitely been some invigorating reading in a long while I gotta admit. Keep it friendly and above the belt so we can all enjoy this discussion.

BTW if you or anyone else feels that I am not friendly or hit below the belt, please feel free to let me know. I consider myself a guest here, though I am opinionated even at a white tie dinner, I try to respect the decorum of any community and will happily return to lurking status as I sincerely have no intentions of making myself a thorn!
Old 10-05-05, 11:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

It's very possible to have a great discussion here without the generalizing. Lets focus back on the New IS instead of the analyzation and critical dissection of everyone's posts. C'mon...everyone is nice!
Old 10-05-05, 11:57 PM
ilitig8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
It's very possible to have a great discussion here without the generalizing. Lets focus back on the New IS instead of the analyzation and critical dissection of everyone's posts. C'mon...everyone is nice!
Point taken! Thanks guys.
Old 10-06-05, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

okok, everyone take a deep breath now. i am optimistic, and i still believe that eveyone here is nice and open minded. so let's not go too deep and give any chance to make this thread dirty again. i am sure everyone has stated what they think, so i think it's cool now
Old 10-06-05, 05:45 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting thread. It's a shame you do find behavior like this on all sorts of boards, whether they're for cars, computers, even rock bands! Everyone has a preference and the anonymity of forums make it easy for them to express it in the worst way possible.

I try to ride the fence when it comes to cars. I've owned too many to have a real brand preference. I know that one minute I may love my Infiniti, while the next I'm cruising in a Lexus with a huge smile on my face. The mag racing that seems to afflict a lot of boards really irritates me, but whatever - I guess that's what these forums are for, talking about cars. The bimmer guys sure do seem to have a lot of other-brand hate, though. Kind of weird if you ask me. I especially liked "put your signal on and someone will let you in", with the inference that you're being let in because you drive a BMW. Where I come from they actually call that "courtesy"!
Old 10-06-05, 06:33 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R_Marquis
Wake up people IT"S A CAR!!!
that pretty sums up my feelings on this whole topic

yeah, yeah, a lot of us are here because we like/love cars, and some are just here to gather some information for a potential car purchase

so there's nothing wrong with being into cars, i just find it annoying when people boast about what it likes to be SEEN in a car, as opposed to what it's like DRIVING one

way OT, but i've seen whole threads on some forums discussing whether owners would/should/could allow passengers to eat or drink in their cars !!
Old 10-06-05, 06:05 PM
NEEDanIS
Driver School Candidate

Why does everyone freak out on this board when there is a small dispute or difference of opinions? I think this thread had potential to answer the one question that has bothered me while contemplating whether or not I DESERVE, not NEED a new 2006 IS.

On my quest to purchase a brand spanking new Lexus IS I am constantly reminded of this one single question. What will my peers, co-workers and the public think of me when I am driving this astounding car? I am concerned the image I portray will completely flip from being a regular blue-collar worker to an elitist driving a fancy spancy vehicle.

I understand that I still will be the same person, with or without the car. Let's be real though, people will look at me differently for having this car. I love cars and desperately need an upgrade, however is it worth the trouble that I will recieve for driving such an expensive car?

As you can understand I don't want to be negatively judged for having a nice car, all I want is a nice car to drive and love.

I think this is a question I need to answer for myself, but please give me your input...its very much needed.
Old 10-07-05, 12:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by NEEDanIS
As you can understand I don't want to be negatively judged for having a nice car, all I want is a nice car to drive and love.

I think this is a question I need to answer for myself, but please give me your input...its very much needed.
It shouldn't matter what other people think when you buy a car. People always compliment me for driving a Lexus and considering i'm amongst a 1/8 of the younger generation at my work, there are people who are close to retirement that are still driving buckets. Do I care what they think of me or what I drive? No because they don't dictate my happiness and preferences in driving a car.
Old 10-07-05, 01:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
that pretty sums up my feelings on this whole topic

yeah, yeah, a lot of us are here because we like/love cars, and some are just here to gather some information for a potential car purchase

so there's nothing wrong with being into cars, i just find it annoying when people boast about what it likes to be SEEN in a car, as opposed to what it's like DRIVING one

way OT, but i've seen whole threads on some forums discussing whether owners would/should/could allow passengers to eat or drink in their cars !!
If it was just a "car" there would be NO internet forums dedicated to specific cars and brands. We are ENTHUSIASTS, they are not just cars to us. Thus sometimes, the heated debates.

Lord knows, I've had my share of them