Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 07:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)

Over the last few years or so we have seen an amazing transformations from Audi- The company that was once known only for Quattro has now matured into a full scale, top tier luxury brand that can hold its own against Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus. More cars, more engines, more options, more technology, and more to love about the German underdog, and I have really grown to love the company myself. I have seen their reliability steadily improve and at the same time they have advanced their design language and are now credited with building some of the most beautiful cars in their respective classes.

One thing puzzles me though: Why, considering all of this success, have they resorted to such low-ball, low class marketing tactics?

The chief rule in marketing premium or luxury products is that by acknowledging your competitors you really end up pushing the message that another product is a good as yours which is why you have included both- to draw a direct comparison with the hope of persuading the audience that yours is best. By design, you're basically fighting an uphill battle against your more established competitor. There is a far higher emotional appeal in luxury goods and especially luxury cars, than there is with something like a Camry where people DO buy it because of its advantageous selling points over the Accord or Altima.

It seems that Audi's commercials have been geared more towards their competitors than their own cars.

Progress is Beautiful- Stab at Mercedes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G3elLtJpsM

A4 Parking Commercial- Stab at Lexus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVaFb...eature=related

A4 Separation Commercial- Stab at MB, BMW, Lexus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5Vv...eature=related

Different Audi commercial, which is a blatant Lexus ripoff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqFuO...eature=related

I also noticed a billboard in Atlanta that has a picture of the new A4 and then next to it says, "Your move BMW." I have seen a few other BMW-targeted Audi ads over the last few months as well.

People don't buy Audis so they they can sling them into a parking space at 50mph, or because they see it as "progress" over Mercedes. By showing their car and then saying, "Your move BMW", Audi is essentially saying "We are playing BMW's game and just made our move, so BMW is next." It implies that they are not a leader, but a follower. By attacking Lexus' self parking LS ads, they are really saying, "Psh...we don't have that technology and someone who wants that does not care about cars. People who buy our cars don't need that BS and are better/smarter/more serious drivers than Lexus customers." Additionally, by showing the C, 3, and IS in that commercial, Audi acknowledges them as the top dogs in this class and implies that it is trying to prove that it is as good as the other three. See how, by design, Audi is playing catch up with their marketing tactics?

On one hand I applaud Audi for having edgier and more ballsy commercials than their rivals, but I also think that ultimately it makes them look like the spoiled little boy who is jumping up and down saying, "ME TOO, ME TOO!!!" You can only play that game for so long before people start to get turned off...or go to the competing brand that you referenced in your own promotional material.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 12-23-08 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-23-08, 07:46 AM
Koma

Have you seen the typical Audi driver (no offense)? They usually drive like they own the road.
Audi's target audience seems to be the type of person who would buy an Audi to one up their peers.
Old 12-23-08, 07:49 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Aren't they the ***** on the road according to Clarkson ?
Old 12-23-08, 07:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
Have you seen the typical Audi driver (no offense)? They usually drive like they own the road.
Audi's target audience seems to be the type of person who would buy an Audi to one up their peers.
Truthfully, around Atlanta Audis are owned by UGA sorority girls and soccer moms. A/S5s and RS products might be the exception, but otherwise it's mostly the above.

The main point of my post was that Audi has done so much and come so far in the last few years that their marketing just seems rather immature for as much progress as they have made. Their cars have so many other selling points that don't include Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes.
Old 12-23-08, 07:52 AM
LexFather

Good thread. I have to say I love Audi. My 2nd fav luxury brand behind Lexus as many here know. One of their MAJOR problems here in America is marketing or LACK of it. Audi advertisements were VERY VERY forgettable, if you even saw one.

The recent ads which do attack competitors are good b/c they are memorable and they are showing that Audi is ANOTHER Tier 1 option. I think its humbling for Audi to show to the public here that they are NOT BMW/Lexus/Benz and they acknowledge that those 3 are by far the top 3 luxury brands here.

I totally agree that Audi is still trying to find its "image" and its "place" here in America. They still don't really stand out here outside of understated elegance. The R8 has helped some but not that much, people STILL don't know its an Audi and assume its something else.

Audi still has yet to sell over 100k cars here in one year and with the economy in doldrums, they will continue to miss that figure.

I love your analogy at the end!

Old 12-23-08, 07:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Truthfully, around Atlanta Audis are owned by UGA sorority girls and soccer moms. A/S5s and RS products might be the exception, but otherwise it's mostly the above.
I find them to be owned by homosexuals here in Atlanta in droves, especially A3/A4/TT . TT drivers are some of the most aggresive drivers I have seen.

I find A6/A8 and now the A5/S5 drivers to be very good drivers.

Old 12-23-08, 08:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I find them to be owned by homosexuals here in Atlanta in droves, especially A3/A4/TT
Agree. Completely forgot about that! They have taken quite a likening to the 2IS too
Old 12-23-08, 08:18 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. Completely forgot about that! They have taken quite a likening to the 2IS too
Why you gotta diss us 2IS drivers like that, . Not that there is anything wrong with being a homosexual.(From Seinfeld episode)
Old 12-23-08, 08:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In all honesty, their ads work.

Audi is ranked alongside Lexus and BMW and Mercedes, because they drill the idea to the consumer, even if their entry level offerings like the A4 and TT are FWD with 4-cylinder engines.

They have been able to market sporty cars successfully, unlike Acura. They've been able to play with "The Big Boys" by offering everything from a roadster (TT) to luxo-barges (A8) to semi-exotics (R8). Even Lexus hasn't been able to touch that...

Audi is progressing well, and their marketing and R&D departments are doing a damn good job.
Old 12-23-08, 10:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I am not doubting that the commercials work and make the point, BUT I wonder how they are really reflecting on the perceived brand image as a whole.
Old 12-23-08, 10:27 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Well it is just another example that when a person or company is behind, or precieved to be less important, that person/company goes on the offensive.

For Example:
These commercials
The Mcain Campaign in the final weeks of the election.
The H Clinton Campaign from this year.
The current GM adds with Fuel Efficiency as their focus.
The list goes on and on.

Audi is a great company, I also am confused why they are precieved so poorly here in the US. Their initial products are outstanding, the quality of matterials they use is great, and now they even are doing a better job with long term reliablity.

I dont like the tactic, but I guess the ideas is that when your apparently "behind" you crate a big fuss and maybe everyone will pay attention.
Old 12-23-08, 10:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not doubting that the commercials work and make the point, BUT I wonder how they are really reflecting on the perceived brand image as a whole.
The thing with Audi is that they're taking it seriously. They want to show off what they've got. So, they've proven it with their comparisons, awards, and prowess.

In contrast, Hyundai is being very cheeky about it. They compared the Azera with an LS460L, they compared the Santa Fe with a Land Rover, and the Sonata with the 5-Series. They want to play with the big boys, but are not genuine about it.

One type of marketing works. The other does it.

Good for Audi.
Old 12-23-08, 10:41 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

its their north american marketing that is immature, it doesnt reflect on the global corporate strategy

it is sad that their marketing team had to resort to such low ball

but here is a good Audi R8 commercial they made that paid a little more attention to their lineage and technology advancement over the years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeyfwSC1ZkE&NR=1
Old 12-23-08, 10:55 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Audi has a lot to work on, but their marketing front is not one of them. The R8 spot during the Superbowl was one of the most talked about the next day. The Notes on Progress Olympics ad was one of the highest recognized during the opening ceremony. People may cry becuase they are calling out their beloved Lexus on less than perfect driving dynamics (A4 paralell parking spot), but the BMW-Audi ad-wars go back a few years (BMW "congragulting" Audi on S. African Car of the Year, then showing a picture of their "world car of the year" 3-series). It's quite great entertainment actually.

The ads are great, and it's about time somebody took a jab at the established German marques BMW and Mercedes-Benz. As was previously mentioned, Audi has been able to carve itself out as a top tier luxury auto maker, one reocgnized for performance, innovation and beautiful styling worldwide (The Japanese haven't managed this - Yet). Having a full range of automobies from entry level to high end exotic with the latest in powertrain technology doesn't hurt either.

Progress is Beautiful Ad: Even more stunning in HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee89S8zk4pc
Old 12-23-08, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You guys have hit on one of the important points.......People, in general, pay way too much attention to marketing and image. Ads and image are exactly that....an idea, and nothing else. When you go car-shopping, you aren't paying for an "image". You are buying (or leasing) a CAR....steel, aluminum, rubber, leather, plastic, and glass.....a material object that you are probably going to have to live with for at least several years. That's what matters, not PR, and that's why Mike (1SICKLEX) and I do reviews...to tell you exactly what you are getting for your money.

Quick Reply: Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)