B2799 issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 10:51 AM
JA1999
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B2799 issues

I’ve had my car for about a couple months now new to lexus
i bought it recently from a good friends had no issues other than a p420 and a trans solenoid dtc coming and going well about three weeks have gone now and I parked it drove fine just a little rough. The only thing that happen was a somewhat heavy storm came over that day well I go to crank my car the next day and it won’t crank at all so my head goes to the cats finally clogged out so after work my first idea is clear the cats out so it can breath. After I clear them the car cranks and cranks but won’t fire so I look into the common issues and noticed not to long ago my friend did plugs and valve cover gaskets to so go to replace the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel line and it cranks but does immediately. And I get my more advanced scanner from work and noticed one dtc sticks out B2799 immobilizer system fault
I got to check my fuses and they check out fine from what I can tell and I go to check my grounds my first one I go to check is a ground on the passanger bottom quarter panel as I pull the trims back and the carpet out the way I noticed it is damp and I go to dry and clean them up and I try to crank still no luck cranks fires and dies immediately
my question is before I pull the dash out and have to send it off to lexus and get that module reprogrammed is there anything I can do or try or even that I am over looking in this situation
Old 10-13-23, 08:51 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by JA1999
i bought it recently from a good friends had no issues other than a p420 and a trans solenoid dtc coming and going well about three weeks have gone now and I parked it drove fine just a little rough. The only thing that happen was a somewhat heavy storm came over that day well I go to crank my car the next day and it won’t crank at all so my head goes to the cats finally clogged out so after work my first idea is clear the cats out so it can breath. After I clear them the car cranks and cranks but won’t fire so I look into the common issues and noticed not to long ago my friend did plugs and valve cover gaskets to so go to replace the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel line and it cranks but does immediately. And I get my more advanced scanner from work and noticed one dtc sticks out B2799 immobilizer system fault
I got to check my fuses and they check out fine from what I can tell and I go to check my grounds my first one I go to check is a ground on the passanger bottom quarter panel as I pull the trims back and the carpet out the way I noticed it is damp and I go to dry and clean them up and I try to crank still no luck cranks fires and dies immediately
my question is before I pull the dash out and have to send it off to lexus and get that module reprogrammed is there anything I can do or try or even that I am over looking in this situation

I've gotten that fault code every now in then. It just pops up randomly playing with the ignition too many times. After awhile it will clear itself. It's probably been years now since I had to mess with the ignition. So I can't say for sure when was the last time it happened.

What other codes are present?

Old 10-13-23, 12:49 PM
JA1999
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I've gotten that fault code every now in then. It just pops up randomly playing with the ignition too many times. After awhile it will clear itself. It's probably been years now since I had to mess with the ignition. So I can't say for sure when was the last time it happened.

What other codes are present?
The only codes that showed up was that really I had a p420 and a code for a trans solenoid and a 02 sensor but the only one that remained active was that one I did try to crank it multiple times and I’ve seen that is an issue taht will cause it to come up but other than that I have no other codes pop up that caught my attention other than the tpms light witch randomly came on and all the sensors uncleared themselves to my knowledge
Old 10-13-23, 12:57 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

The only codes that showed up was that really I had a p420 and a code for a trans solenoid and a 02 sensor but the only one that remained active was that one I did try to crank it multiple times and I’ve seen that is an issue taht will cause it to come up but other than that I have no other codes pop up that caught my attention other than the tpms light witch randomly came on and all the sensors uncleared themselves to my knowledge
Try holding the gas pedal down with brake and crank it a few times. Just a few seconds at a time. Maybe it's flooded out.

As for the wet carpet. Clogged AC drain on passenger side foot well, or clogged sunroof drains.
Old 10-13-23, 02:11 PM
JA1999
10th Gear

Try holding the gas pedal down with brake and crank it a few times. Just a few seconds at a time. Maybe it's flooded out.

As for the wet carpet. Clogged AC drain on passenger side foot well, or clogged sunroof drains.
I did and it cranks up and dies instantly I already replaced the fuel pressure sensor and the plugs where done about a couple months back
Old 10-13-23, 03:14 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I did and it cranks up and dies instantly I already replaced the fuel pressure sensor and the plugs where done about a couple months back
Try this disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or more. Then reconnect it, but before cracking. With ignition on and scan tool. See if the B2799 code is present.

If it's not, I'm wondering if it was in theft mode due to all the cranks.
Old 10-13-23, 04:39 PM
JA1999
10th Gear

Try this disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or more. Then reconnect it, but before cracking. With ignition on and scan tool. See if the B2799 code is present.

If it's not, I'm wondering if it was in theft mode due to all the cranks.
As far as I know it stays active I did a global reset as far as I know by grounding out the pins on the obd2 port and idk if I did it correctly I did it for 30 min but I also left a battery charger connected and the hood open while only leaving the driver door open and still no luck on cranking I also noticed my oil was low I know infinity and Mercedes have a safety that prevents them from cranking so I topped it off and still no luck I read on groups and forums and see how other it’s usually as simple as a fuse or even just a dead batter I wish I was that lucky lol I’d do anything at this point to get it running again
Old 11-07-23, 11:03 AM
grimlock
10th Gear

Having a dirty catalytic does not have to do with ignition security. It’s your engine throwing a bunch of dirt on it. Which car model do you have? You might have a dirty intake if it’s IS250. Use Seafoam multiple times to clean it, if you can work on the car you can pull that intake manifold to have a good clean on it. Don’t stick any metal on that valve seat area. Just spray carb cleaner and wipe it with rug, you can use a good paint brush. Now, with the dirty catalytic, use Cataclean, Autozone and Walmart sell those. Sounds like you already need a new catalytic but you will un-install that anyway, try to clean it with degreaser and soap before using the Cataclean, if it work you will save yourself a lot of money.

Last edited by grimlock; 11-07-23 at 11:11 AM.