IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 07:14 PM
Byronunder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

I have a IS300 and im having a big problem with it. It wont go past 4krpm when im driving. BUT it revs fine on neutral. Its a 5spd so on the highway im stuck at 90 and i cant go any faster because the car starts bogging down i lose all hp and it feels like its struggling to keep moving. Its a 03 with 130k miles. I feel like it could be the tranny but if it was im pretty sure it wouldnt rev past 4k at neutral. Please help im scared to take it to any mechanic due to the fact that they might scam me
Old 03-21-16, 07:21 PM
Byronunder
Driver School Candidate

Default Please help

My IS wont go past 4k rpms when im in gear but in neutral it goes up to 7k rpm fine.
Please help me out im scared to go to a mechanic due to the fact that they can scam me. I dont know what it could be please help.
Old 03-21-16, 07:26 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it go past 4K in 2, 3, & 4th gears?
Old 03-21-16, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

I notice you are in Florida. Outside of the Daytona Speedway and a couple of other places like the Sebring track,, where in the state can you legally drive over 90 anyway? You may (?) be asking an irrelevant question.

However, to specifically address the 90-max issue, first try cleaning out the fuel system and injectors first with a can of BG-44K or equivalent cleaner (BG products aren't sold in stores...you generally have to buy them at repair ships). At 130K miles, especially if you have using cheap or off-brand gasoline for some time, without a good detergent package in it go keep things clean, the injectors and fuel system may (?) have enough carbon and/or deposits that the engine isn't getting enough fuel to make enough power to go past 90.

Moderators: Consider moving this thread to the Maintenance or IS300 forums?

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-16 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 08:22 PM
Byronunder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Does it go past 4K in 2, 3, & 4th gears?
No it only goes past 4k when im downshifting or in neutral
Old 03-21-16, 08:23 PM
Byronunder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL.

I notice you are in Florida. Outside of the Daytona Speedway and a couple of other places like the Sebring track,, where in the state can you legally drive over 90 anyway? You may (?) be asking an irrelevant question.

However, to specifically address the 90-max issue, first try cleaning out the fuel system and injectors first with a can of BG-44K or equivalent cleaner (BG products aren't sold in stores...you generally have to buy them at repair ships). At 130K miles, especially if you have using cheap or off-brand gasoline for some time, without a good detergent package in it go keep things clean, the injectors and fuel system may (?) have enough carbon and/or deposits that the engine isn't getting enough fuel to make enough power to go past 90.

Moderators: Consider moving this thread to the Maintenance or IS300 forums?
Theres a track where i live called Homestead speedway so thats what i meant by highway sorry for the mistake
Old 03-21-16, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Byronunder
Theres a track where i live called Homestead speedway so thats what i meant by highway sorry for the mistake
OK.....Thanks. Now that you mention it, yes, I have heard of that place.

My advice still stands, though.....before you spend any real money on more complex repairs, try a simple fuel-system cleaner first. BG products rank among the best. Might take a couple of tankfuls or treatments for it to have any effect, if you have a lot of carbon built up. Then, if that doesn't work, you can try more involved and/or more expensive procedures.
Old 03-23-16, 03:58 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're the stick up his ***, old man Lexus driver that everyone hates.

Hopefully when you die off the brand will start to make products that aren't just a well polished version of beige.