IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Help please... Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 06:44 AM
Lexatza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please... Air Intake

I had put in a cold air intake 2 weeks ago and now my engine light is on. Can anyone tell me how to fix it or that's going to be a problem?

Last edited by Lexatza; 07-20-06 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-20-06, 11:41 AM
DemonIS300
Driver

Default reset

unplug your ground wire to your battery for like 15 mins, then plug it back in and push it hard. let the rpm go as high as it can for the first 2-3 gears so your car can learn the aggressive driving behavior that should turn the CEL off
Old 07-20-06, 06:05 PM
e_murray
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem...
What is happening is the Cone filter has a oil conditioner on it which travles through the pipe to the Mass Airflow Sensor it has developed a residue and needs to be cleaned. This will continue to happen and damage your sensor! I used a Q-tip and dampened it with rubbing alchol and cleaned it up. BE VERY CAREFUL !!!! VERY FRAGILE!!!!!!Was Quite Dirty! Restoration of lost power and The Light went off!!! Good Luck, I find that I have more power with the stock Intake anyway.
Evan
Old 07-20-06, 06:48 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DemonIS300
unplug your ground wire to your battery for like 15 mins, then plug it back in and push it hard. let the rpm go as high as it can for the first 2-3 gears so your car can learn the aggressive driving behavior that should turn the CEL off
Honestly, I'm not sure how this is solving the problem. This just resets the ECU, but it doesn't guarantee that his check engine light won't come back on again. You should really diagnose the problem to understand the issue.

Lexatza, you should really get the check engine light code read so you know what the problem really is, then execute the appropriate fix.

Originally Posted by e_murray
I had the same problem...
What is happening is the Cone filter has a oil conditioner on it which travles through the pipe to the Mass Airflow Sensor it has developed a residue and needs to be cleaned. This will continue to happen and damage your sensor! I used a Q-tip and dampened it with rubbing alchol and cleaned it up. BE VERY CAREFUL !!!! VERY FRAGILE!!!!!!Was Quite Dirty! Restoration of lost power and The Light went off!!! Good Luck, I find that I have more power with the stock Intake anyway.
Evan
^^^This is more likely the issue; it's possible that your MAF sensor got dirty. If you're going to use a Q-Tip you will have to be very, very careful. I would suggest going to your local auto parts store and buying some QD Electronics Cleaner and just spray it on the sensor, then let it air dry in the sun. If you damage the sensor, it can be fairly expensive to replace.
Old 07-20-06, 07:54 PM
DemonIS300
Driver

[QUOTE=bchau_gt]Honestly, I'm not sure how this is solving the problem. This just resets the ECU, but it doesn't guarantee that his check engine light won't come back on again. You should really diagnose the problem to understand the issue.

First, he just put in his intake, his cone should not be dirty, and second, when you put on and new intake that takes in more air, it throws the air and fuel ratio off. U are getting more air to the engine then the ecu was programmed the engine to received so it thinks something is wrong so it give off the CEL, that's why when ever you install and intake in a car, you always unplug the negative battery wire so the the ecu resets with the new intake in and thinks it's the original intake and relearn the new air flow.
Old 07-20-06, 07:59 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=DemonIS300]
Originally Posted by bchau_gt
Honestly, I'm not sure how this is solving the problem. This just resets the ECU, but it doesn't guarantee that his check engine light won't come back on again. You should really diagnose the problem to understand the issue.

First, he just put in his intake, his cone should not be dirty, and second, when you put on and new intake that takes in more air, it throws the air and fuel ratio off. U are getting more air to the engine then the ecu was programmed the engine to received so it thinks something is wrong so it give off the CEL, that's why when ever you install and intake in a car, you always unplug the negative battery wire so the the ecu resets with the new intake in and thinks it's the original intake and relearn the new air flow.
Good points. I was not trying to refute your advice above, but it helps to know the actual CEL code before trying to fix things. I think it is possible for his MAF sensor to get dirty shortly after installing a new intake though; that is because the new air filter may be newly oiled where some of that oil gets through into the intake pipe and onto the MAF, thus causing a CEL.

Also, there's an easier way to reset the ECU than unplugging the negative battery terminal. You can just pull the ECU fuse from the fuse box in front of the battery.
Old 07-20-06, 08:56 PM
DemonIS300
Driver

[QUOTE=bchau_gt]
Originally Posted by DemonIS300
Good points. I was not trying to refute your advice above, but it helps to know the actual CEL code before trying to fix things. I think it is possible for his MAF sensor to get dirty shortly after installing a new intake though; that is because the new air filter may be newly oiled where some of that oil gets through into the intake pipe and onto the MAF, thus causing a CEL.

Also, there's an easier way to reset the ECU than unplugging the negative battery terminal. You can just pull the ECU fuse from the fuse box in front of the battery.
i know what you mean by finding out the code it's throwing but from what he said, he got it the CEL after the installation of the intake, so usually what people would do is reset the ecu. but if pops up again then he might need to find out with wrong if the resetting the ecu doesn't help

alot of people aren't very good with fuses and where they are located, it's just easier to tell them to unplug the negative wire to the battery.
Old 08-02-06, 09:41 AM
Lexatza
Driver School Candidate

I went to AutoZone to have my engine scanned. The problems were Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure (Fuel Tank) Sensor Range/Performance and Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction. Was the intake got anything to do with these problems.

Last edited by Lexatza; 08-02-06 at 10:40 AM.