Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

NX450h+ charging from wall charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 09:47 PM
clmk
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default NX450h+ charging from wall charger

Hi folks,
For those with a NX450h+ and a wall charger, I'm curious to know if the wall charger and car will handle being connected to a wall charger that doesn't have 'currently available power' but does at a later point.

What I'm getting at is I'm thinking of putting the wall charger on a circuit that only gets power at certain times. When it does, I want it to ideally start charging either to a schedule or straight away when power is supplied to the circuit.

i.e. I'm hoping that one or both of these scenarios would work:
1. Charger connected while wall box has no power. When power is supplied car begins charging immediately (i.e. connected at 8pm, power supplied at midnight, charging begins at midnight)
2. Charger connected while wall box has no power. When power is supplied, car begins charging according to cars scheduled charging. (i.e. connected at 8pm, power supplied at midnight, charging begins at 3am)

Curious to know if anyone has done this and whether it works or not, or whether the car will only accept a wall charger that has power supplied immediately.
Old 04-24-22, 09:41 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts

I have my ChargePoint Home Flex wall charger programmed to charge my car from 12:00 midnight to 6 am. You can also schedule it to charge at different times on the weekends. I have my car programmed to start charging every day at 12:05 am and continue until fully charged (2 1/2 hours later). Everything works great together. ChargePoint sends me an email telling me that the car has stopped charging. If I don't need a charge, I just don't plug it in. On the weekends I can also override the system on the car and start charging during the day if I want a charge. I have to tell the ChargePoint wall charger to turn on for this override/charge outside of normal hours (see PS below).

PS - ChargePoint says If you have a charging schedule set and need to charge immediately, just plug in, unplug and plug back in within a few seconds to start charging right away.
PS Again - You might want to call ChargePoint and talk to them about your situation (not having power to the wall charger at all times). Since you can control the charging time with the wall charger maybe leaving the power hooked up to it would work for you?

Last edited by twitte; 04-24-22 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-13-22, 07:38 PM
Mbova77
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by clmk
Hi folks,
For those with a NX450h+ and a wall charger, I'm curious to know if the wall charger and car will handle being connected to a wall charger that doesn't have 'currently available power' but does at a later point.

What I'm getting at is I'm thinking of putting the wall charger on a circuit that only gets power at certain times. When it does, I want it to ideally start charging either to a schedule or straight away when power is supplied to the circuit.

1. Charger connected while wall box has no power. When power is supplied car begins charging immediately (i.e. connected at 8pm, power supplied at midnight, charging begins at midnight)
2. Charger connected while wall box has no power. When power is supplied, car begins charging according to cars scheduled charging. (i.e. connected at 8pm, power supplied at midnight, charging begins at 3am)

Curious to know if anyone has done this and whether it works or not, or whether the car will only accept a wall charger that has power supplied immediately.
you do realize that most level 2 chargers are programable and so is the car.
Old 09-13-22, 08:09 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by clmk
Hi folks,

As the others have mentioned, it will work fine, but you have alternatives:
  • As long as you've set the car to charge immediately (no charging schedule set in the car) the car will charge once the charger, included 110V charger or a level 2 charger, has power - The car will start charging and then stop when power is lost
    • Think of this as plugging and unplugging the charger from the wall while it is plugged in
  • You can accomplish the same thing by setting a schedule in the car and leaving the circuit energized...but if you want to change the start time frequently and have easy control over the circuit, you can do either one
    • The Lexus App used to let you override the charge cycles that were set in the car....you could temporarily override that schedule for 1 charge cycle, I started off using this most nights to 'optimize' the charging schedule, but they took it away a few updates ago. Got a call from Corporate Lexus CS today in response to a ticket I opened, supposedly that's coming back with the next update in a 'few days'
  • As Twitte said, you can also use a connected Level 2 charger to do the same thing. I use Enel X Juicebox on both of our cars and start with a default schedule, then can tell the charger what the starting charge is (amount remaining in the car) what the max charge should (we leave the house and drive a mile downhill, so don't need 100%) be, and when to start...I can also kick off charging and stop it at any point from my JuiceBox app
    • As far as the car is concerned, when charging is stopped by the charger (vs. completing charging in the car and it telling the charger to stop) it is the same as if power to the charger was disconnected, it knows the port door is open, but not that there's an active connector
    • The message you'll get in the car varies a little, if you pull the charger out of the port while charging, it will say so...if you cut power or when I tell my charger to stop, the car will tell you charging source stopped or something similar.
    • Another cool feature of my charger's app is letting me vary the charging rate on the fly, while charging....in 1A intervals. Probably not something most people will use, but I usually charge at 8A to maximize battery life, but sometimes want it done faster, so can kick it up as fast as needed.
One warning, your scenario #2 may be a problem. I was using both the charger scheduling and the car scheduling and in certain situations the car won't charge. I believe you have to set your start time in the car schedule AFTER your power is restored to the charger. If you do the reverse, then the car tries when scheduled but then fails and doesn't ever charge.

Bottom line, use either the car or the charger. I'm happier now that I've switched to the chargers and even if Lexus gives us back that functionality in the App, won't use it. Also, by having a schedule in the car, I sometimes forgot to start charging at a public charger in the car.

Last edited by ct6978; 09-13-22 at 08:17 PM.