Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Just got a 07 RX400h

Old 04-07-19, 01:46 PM
adibee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got a 07 RX400h

Hey everyone just purchased a used RX400h with high miles (200,000 Miles). I will be having my mechanic friend do a timing belt replacement as soon as possible since it's overdue right now. I am making a purchase list right now from reading all the other posts in here about the RX400h timing belt replacement. I have the following:

- Timing Belt, Water pump kit W Tensioner
- Camshaft seals
- Crankshaft seals
- Spark Plugs
- CVT Fluid
- Radiator Fluid

Is there anything else that you guys recommend doing while my mechanic is doing the timing belt replacement? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Here are some pics of the RX:

Just got a 07 RX400h-m6r32wc.jpg

Just got a 07 RX400h-goyvbko.jpg

Just got a 07 RX400h-czqzhgs.jpg

Just got a 07 RX400h-gabh9t2.jpg

Just got a 07 RX400h-uhx13ix.jpg

Just got a 07 RX400h-pcsccwk.jpg

Just got a 07 RX400h-wudzklk.jpg
Old 04-07-19, 09:10 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice wheels, The timing belt kit should include Aisin water pump and Koyo idler bearings. there are kits that include everything, however one note the RX300 engine and RX400h do not have the same tensioner.
Old 04-07-19, 09:33 PM
adibee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Nice wheels, The timing belt kit should include Aisin water pump and Koyo idler bearings. there are kits that include everything, however one note the RX300 engine and RX400h do not have the same tensioner.
Thanks man, so I just purchased this kit from Amazon:
Aisin Timing belt kit Aisin Timing belt kit

Do you think that has the Rx400h tensioner?
Old 04-08-19, 05:19 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

I punched that kit in and it said it fits RX400h, hopefully has correct tensioner. I would bet yes. By the way any good Toyota mechanic can do these easy and fast. I did my first belt, and than had my son in law brothers mechanic help the second time. He used to be a Toyota mechanic, and we had it done in 4 hours. I took at least 10 hours the first time. I have 239 k miles on my RX.
Old 04-08-19, 05:39 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

looks clean for 200k! You sure the previous owner didn't do the belt?
Old 04-08-19, 06:40 PM
adibee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
I punched that kit in and it said it fits RX400h, hopefully, has a correct tensioner. I would bet yes. By the way, any good Toyota mechanic can do these easy and fast. I did my first belt, and than had my son in law brothers mechanic help the second time. He used to be a Toyota mechanic, and we had it done in 4 hours. I took at least 10 hours the first time. I have 239 k miles on my RX.
That's awesome to hear, I definitely want to drive it at least 250K. Is your high mile engine noisy? I noticed mine is noisy and sounds a bit like knocking. I gotta take a video and upload it here.

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
looks clean for 200k! You sure the previous owner didn't do the belt?
Thanks . You know after reading your post I went to check it again if there is any label. I found this :
Other than that I haven't found any other label that stated it was changed after the 93,392 miles

Just got a 07 RX400h-v3tgnzx.jpg

Last edited by adibee; 04-08-19 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 07:48 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if its on it's original coil packs i would swap them as well if you are doing the spark plugs. mine needed to be replaced at 120k miles. make sure your rad doesnt need to be changed as well - also check the bottom of the shifter cable to see if it's sticking at all.
Old 04-08-19, 08:18 PM
adibee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myw
if its on it's original coil packs i would swap them as well if you are doing the spark plugs. mine needed to be replaced at 120k miles. make sure your rad doesnt need to be changed as well - also check the bottom of the shifter cable to see if it's sticking at all.
Thanks for the tip, I actually bought all the gaskets and seals required for the spark plugs and also bought 3 coil packs for the rear since it's harder to work on, haven't bought any for the front since they are spendy(Already bought 500$ worth if parts for timing belt and spark plugs job).
Also where should i look at for the shifter cable?
Old 04-08-19, 09:30 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adibee
Thanks for the tip, I actually bought all the gaskets and seals required for the spark plugs and also bought 3 coil packs for the rear since it's harder to work on, haven't bought any for the front since they are spendy(Already bought 500$ worth if parts for timing belt and spark plugs job).
Also where should i look at for the shifter cable?
eventually the shifter cable gets worn and will eventually start to 'stick' - search the forum here (i am sure my post history i have tried to help out on a related thread). the way to fix it is when the car is up on a hoist getting oil change, spray the ****er cable linkage point with wd40 - eventually you may have to swap the cable.

the dead giveaway is when the shifter doesn't want to shift properly - you will notice it.
Old 04-09-19, 07:30 PM
adibee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myw
eventually the shifter cable gets worn and will eventually start to 'stick' - search the forum here (i am sure my post history i have tried to help out on a related thread). the way to fix it is when the car is up on a hoist getting oil change, spray the ****er cable linkage point with wd40 - eventually you may have to swap the cable.

the dead giveaway is when the shifter doesn't want to shift properly - you will notice it.
Thanks for tips, since I'm doing the timing belt and spark plugs should i do the injectors too? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 04-10-19, 07:09 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

IMO, injectors are not a routine item. As long as they work, don't change them. Also, there are a few websites you can enter your VIN to see past service if you want to check on things like timing belts, brakes, etc. I use:

www.mycarfax.com
www.lexus.com/owners
Old 04-12-19, 04:52 PM
adibee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
IMO, injectors are not a routine item. As long as they work, don't change them. Also, there are a few websites you can enter your VIN to see past service if you want to check on things like timing belts, brakes, etc. I use:

www.mycarfax.com
www.lexus.com/owners
Thanks for the tip mate! lexus.com had all the service record which was amazing. Unfortunately, they did not do the timing belt service after the initial one at 93,000. I have attached the service record here, seems like it's been a dealer maintained car .

https://imgur.com/SUYxOIP

Also got everything ready for the Timing belt and spark plug change.

Just got a 07 RX400h-kunyvkt.jpg

Old 04-15-19, 06:26 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Yup timing belt due, I too have to do the plugs, 239k on them....I too am replacing the rear three coils for same reason.
Old 05-01-19, 12:24 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope its not too late, the PCV valve is a pain to get to. Cheap item to add on.
Old 05-01-19, 05:10 PM
adibee
Driver School Candidate

Default Purchase List

Originally Posted by jooksing82
I hope its not too late, the PCV valve is a pain to get to. Cheap item to add on.
I have actually already purchased that too after doing some research. Still have not gotten the chance to do it. I should do it soon...But here is my purchase list for future reference( Cost was about 450$):

Timing Belt
- Timing Belt, Water pump kit W Tensioner
- Camshaft seals X 2 Toyota 90311-38034
- Crankshaft seals X 1 Genuine Toyota 90311-40022
- CVT Fluid
- Radiator Fluid

Spark Plugs Replacement
- Denso (3297) SK20R11 Iridium Spark Plug
- Toyota 12204-20040, PCV Valve
- Genuine Toyota 17176-20020 Air Surge Tank Gasket-
- Fuel Injection Plenum Gasket Stone 17127-20010
- Lexus 17116-20010, Fuel Injection Throttle Body Mounting Gasket
- Genuine 22271-20040 Fuel Injection Throttle Body Mounting Gasket- 8.36
- Denso 6731301 Ignition Coil 56.57X3 (For the rear)
The following users liked this post:
professorm (02-20-22)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got a 07 RX400h