Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Replace Main Hybrid Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 05:13 PM
proudpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Replace Main Hybrid Wiring Harness

Hello All,

So I've been here and there, but my 2007 RX400H may be coming to an end. The wife ran over a wood block the other day on her way home. It was loose on an on-ramp at twilight and the headlights didn't hit it until the last second. Anyways, it hit the bottom of the RX in a few places and it is in the shop now (had to be towed). It looks like the main hybrid wiring harness may be partially cut or damaged. As such with the value it may be totaled. If that is the case... I'm wondering if I should keep it as a project car. Is it worth it or even possible to replace the main wiring harness? I have never been up there, I'm wondering if I would have to remove the frame to do that work.

Thank You!
Old 10-22-18, 10:38 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow, bad luck, Me since I have worked electronics for 40 years, I would try to splice the wiring (solder only) because I would not trust crimps. Otherwise check cable and see if a junk yard has harness, I could not find that harness online.
Old 10-22-18, 10:52 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Take a look on fleabay, Saw all kinds of wiring harnesses.
Old 10-23-18, 06:02 PM
proudpilot
Driver School Candidate

So I took a look at ebay, and it doesn't matter. Shroud cut into multiple wires, damaged the fuel tank and the battery pack. We stopped counting at 15K of damage. She's totaled. Had her for 5 good years! Since I still have snow tires, parts, and know how to fix them I think I might actually get another RX. Otherwise... I might try to find something with more legroom, or something that I can swap the control arms out without a small hangar.

Thank You for the input... I was trying!
Old 10-23-18, 06:17 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

are you totaling it through insurance or are you just going to scrap it? Not knowing what kind of coverage you had on it.

If you are not covered through insurance, you should be able to make a good amount back if you part it out I'd think. What color is it?
Old 10-29-18, 05:22 PM
proudpilot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
are you totaling it through insurance or are you just going to scrap it? Not knowing what kind of coverage you had on it.

If you are not covered through insurance, you should be able to make a good amount back if you part it out I'd think. What color is it?
Totaled through insurance. Payout was a little over 11K with 170K miles. Blue, all options except laser cruise control.
Old 10-29-18, 09:03 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Bummer, Are you going to pursue another RX400h? Lots of clean ones in the sunbelt of US....
Old 10-30-18, 10:00 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by proudpilot
Totaled through insurance. Payout was a little over 11K with 170K miles. Blue, all options except laser cruise control.
11k is not bad for that mileage. Good luck on your next vehicle.
Old 11-05-18, 05:43 AM
proudpilot
Driver School Candidate

So I just bought a 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited with 113K miles for 11,900 in Sage. It has more corrosion than I would like on the bottom, but I got new tires on it, it aligned well and operated great on the drive back (OH to ND). I think I'll eventually replace almost everything on the bottom, so there are some more weekends there. The interior is good, but the detailer did not do a great job. I need to take it to someone who can really clean the leather and condition it right. Very happy with it. I do miss the projector lamps and the steerable headlights, but other than that, I really prefer the highlander. I had previous gripes about the legroom which is now no problem. We're trying to start a family, which is why we got the RX, but I think this will work better. Might get a 2016 or 2015 when their price goes below 15K, we'll see.

Thank You all for the help!

BTW, anyone know a good part supplier for the highlander? I was using ****************** with Moog and a lexus parts store, but this is a new model for me. Who is everyone going to?
Old 11-05-18, 08:03 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default try this:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/