Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

450h AWD Test

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 06:43 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts
Default 450h AWD Test

It doesn’t snow much where I live, so I have never driven my 450h in the snow, to know how well it will do. The folks at TFL did the test for us & it looks like the system performs just as it was designed! Check it out:
The following 3 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
1Louder (02-22-19), ericsan13 (10-19-18), signdetres (10-19-18)
Old 10-23-18, 05:29 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. I don't think it did that well overall.
Old 10-23-18, 05:44 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I want to see it do all the tests they did on the subaru including the 3 tires spinning tests. I dont know if a single rear wheel would have enough oomph to get this thing moving if it came down to that, especially on an incline.
Old 10-24-18, 08:14 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
I want to see it do all the tests they did on the subaru including the 3 tires spinning tests. I dont know if a single rear wheel would have enough oomph to get this thing moving if it came down to that, especially on an incline.
I think it did as well as could be expected for a luxury SUV. I don’t want or need it to go off road. The electric motors on the 450h have more torque than you might think. You won’t move up or out at a blistering pace, but it will move the vehicle as long as that tire has traction.
Old 10-24-18, 02:21 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

I think it did as well as could be expected for a luxury SUV. I don’t want or need it to go off road. The electric motors on the 450h have more torque than you might think. You won’t move up or out at a blistering pace, but it will move the vehicle as long as that tire has traction.
I do not disagree but...
I expect the rear drive to kick in within one revolution of the front tire spinning. Isn't that the point of AWD? In the first demo on the rollers it's ridiculously slow to react.
Old 10-24-18, 06:13 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by wktjr
I do not disagree but...
I expect the rear drive to kick in within one revolution of the front tire spinning. Isn't that the point of AWD? In the first demo on the rollers it's ridiculously slow to react.
Yes, that I agree with. Without watching it all over again, didn’t he have to step on the gas to activate the rear drive motor? Otherwise, at idle, nothing was happening. This is the big downfall of a computer driven & controlled AWD system vs. having a transfer case & drive shafts that usually kill your fuel mileage.
Old 10-24-18, 07:00 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I love my 2017 RX-450H! The AWD drive system however is not that stellar. My Chevy avalanche's front wheels engage with less than one revolution slip of either rear wheel. The Rx's computer control could be programmed to be just as responsive if so desired by Lexus. There's also limited torque available with the Lexus hybrid when towing which also exists with the Highlander hybrid. On ice or snow you really don't want to have to give the car a lot of throttle to get the 4 AWD to activate.
Old 10-24-18, 07:08 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Yes, that I agree with. Without watching it all over again, didn’t he have to step on the gas to activate the rear drive motor? Otherwise, at idle, nothing was happening. This is the big downfall of a computer driven & controlled AWD system vs. having a transfer case & drive shafts that usually kill your fuel mileage.
I just watched it again. The slow motion helps. I counted 2 complete rotations before any meaningful movement. However, the real world portion of the test is much better.

I will say that I have been very satisfied with my 450hl so far. This is my 5th TMC vehicle but my first hybrid. I'm impressed with the algorithms that control the hybrid system and the seamless integration of the gas/electric system.
Old 10-24-18, 07:14 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I love my 2017 RX-450H! The AWD drive system however is not that stellar. My Chevy avalanche's front wheels engage with less than one revolution slip of either rear wheel. The Rx's computer control could be programmed to be just as responsive if so desired by Lexus. There's also limited torque available with the Lexus hybrid when towing which also exists with the Highlander hybrid. On ice or snow you really don't want to have to give the car a lot of throttle to get the 4 AWD to activate.
Exactly. The system knows the weather by temp, baro pressure etc. Add the wheel slip and it can deduce your in a winter low traction situation and should engage the rear drive faster.
Old 11-01-18, 03:53 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Wait, what?

I've had a 2010 RX450h for two years now, and in the Oregon snows it does a great job. But NOT in "default" mode. Instead, there is a "Snow" mode you need to select, and then the computer is much more aggressive at using the rear motor.

I've only seen the video once so I may have missed it, but did these guys ever mention switching to Snow Mode? Or does Snow Mode not exist on this model year? It did in 2010.

Based on my analysis my car is a front-wheel drive machine unless I mash down the accelerator, which will then bring in the rear electric motor for about 300HP total. So the point is lots of power for passing. I don't know if the computer is smart enough to sense front slippage and bring in the rear drive under such circumstances. BUT in Snow Mode my car is very much all-wheel drive; the rear wheels are brought in immediately and aggressively when accelerating. I can feel it easily on a slippery hill near my home when there's snow and ice.
Old 11-01-18, 05:25 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by riredale
Wait, what?

I've had a 2010 RX450h for two years now, and in the Oregon snows it does a great job. But NOT in "default" mode. Instead, there is a "Snow" mode you need to select, and then the computer is much more aggressive at using the rear motor.

I've only seen the video once so I may have missed it, but did these guys ever mention switching to Snow Mode? Or does Snow Mode not exist on this model year? It did in 2010.

Based on my analysis my car is a front-wheel drive machine unless I mash down the accelerator, which will then bring in the rear electric motor for about 300HP total. So the point is lots of power for passing. I don't know if the computer is smart enough to sense front slippage and bring in the rear drive under such circumstances. BUT in Snow Mode my car is very much all-wheel drive; the rear wheels are brought in immediately and aggressively when accelerating. I can feel it easily on a slippery hill near my home when there's snow and ice.
Nope, no “Snow” mode on the 2016 450h:

Old 11-02-18, 04:18 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Wait, what?

No snow mode.
Old 11-03-18, 09:25 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wktjr
No snow mode.
Seriously?

This is something selected by the toggle switch on the steering wheel, right? Did Lexus get rid of it?
Old 11-03-18, 09:53 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Seriously?

This is something selected by the toggle switch on the steering wheel, right? Did Lexus get rid of it?
No SNOW toggle on the wheel.
Old 11-05-18, 04:28 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

Quick Reply: 450h AWD Test