Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

450h AWD Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 09:53 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kolokmee
I think you might be overestimating the power draw from rotating the rear wheels. Forget the hypothetical AWD mode. A far more common scenario for your example is If you put the car in reverse. Remember, only the rear electric motors are in play when backing up; and when was the last time you heard of a hybrid driver not being able to back up due to their batteries running low?

Pretty sure the engineers would have accounted for keeping enough battery power to allow for a simple maneuver like backing up into a parking spot; which would likely need more power than the occasional burst of AWD mode from the front wheels slipping.
the front and rear motors turn when backing up, not just the rear.
Old 02-22-19, 10:12 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I had 2015 450h for two winters. My conclusion when I decided to trade it in for another Quattro based vehicle? Not for COLD winter weather.
Cabin heat never gets toasty warm in -30C with -40C windchill day. Going out to my 4 season cabin out in the middle of Rockies in deep snow
with winter tires, snow mode does not give confident feeling. Also main battery loses capacity almost 20% making the MPG figure nose dive.
So back to Audi SQ5, feel much better in winter. This past winter has been real brutal one in many years, We never had above freezing temp.
for over a month. Every day some snow flakes flying around, temp. hovering around -30C day and night. Unfortunately we have only double garage
with 3 cars. My car has to stay in a open car port in the back yard. If I had 450h I wonder it'd start every morning at touch of a button(12V battery). SQ5 did.
Tesla cars running around here too they start well and so on but drivers notice drop in battery capacity needing more than usual charging time.
Old 02-22-19, 01:46 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I had 2015 450h for two winters. My conclusion when I decided to trade it in for another Quattro based vehicle? Not for COLD winter weather.
Cabin heat never gets toasty warm in -30C with -40C windchill day. Going out to my 4 season cabin out in the middle of Rockies in deep snow
with winter tires, snow mode does not give confident feeling. Also main battery loses capacity almost 20% making the MPG figure nose dive.
So back to Audi SQ5, feel much better in winter. This past winter has been real brutal one in many years, We never had above freezing temp.
for over a month. Every day some snow flakes flying around, temp. hovering around -30C day and night. Unfortunately we have only double garage
with 3 cars. My car has to stay in a open car port in the back yard. If I had 450h I wonder it'd start every morning at touch of a button(12V battery). SQ5 did.
Tesla cars running around here too they start well and so on but drivers notice drop in battery capacity needing more than usual charging time.
Interesting about the cabin not being warm in cold temps. We live in the mountains and it has been -20 many nights, and I have not noticed the cold having an effect on ours. I wonder if there is a difference between the 3rd and 4th generation hybrids in that regard. The mileage is definitely decreased, but then I never bought either of our hybrids for gas savings. There are just too many other benefits of hybrids. All 12 volt batteries are affected by cold, but at least the hybrids 12 volt just needs to retain enough juice to run the electronics and not crank the engine. I do not know the effect that cold has on traction batteries.
Old 02-22-19, 03:08 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
Interesting about the cabin not being warm in cold temps. We live in the mountains and it has been -20 many nights, and I have not noticed the cold having an effect on ours. I wonder if there is a difference between the 3rd and 4th generation hybrids in that regard. The mileage is definitely decreased, but then I never bought either of our hybrids for gas savings. There are just too many other benefits of hybrids. All 12 volt batteries are affected by cold, but at least the hybrids 12 volt just needs to retain enough juice to run the electronics and not crank the engine. I do not know the effect that cold has on traction batteries.
I live in Texas and we don’t get anywhere near as cold as what Htony experiences. I have noticed a very sharp drop in MPG when the temp falls below freezing. Battery life is also decreased, but it’s never been a problem for me as it rarely drops below the 20s here. The opposite is also true. On a hot summer day with the A/C blasting & seat coolers on high, the hybrid battery can’t keep up. I’m not sure why, but the MPG doesn’t drop as sharply in the summer as it does in the winter. Overall, the RX is probably the best hybrid SUV on the market, but it wasn’t designed for any kind of deep snow or off-roading. If you regularly drive in deep snow, this is the wrong vehicle.
Old 02-23-19, 05:03 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

I live in Texas and we don’t get anywhere near as cold as what Htony experiences. I have noticed a very sharp drop in MPG when the temp falls below freezing. Battery life is also decreased, but it’s never been a problem for me as it rarely drops below the 20s here. The opposite is also true. On a hot summer day with the A/C blasting & seat coolers on high, the hybrid battery can’t keep up. I’m not sure why, but the MPG doesn’t drop as sharply in the summer as it does in the winter. Overall, the RX is probably the best hybrid SUV on the market, but it wasn’t designed for any kind of deep snow or off-roading. If you regularly drive in deep snow, this is the wrong vehicle.
Not sure what you mean by "deep snow". I have had all sorts or vehicles from large 4wd pickups with big tires to CJ5 Jeeps and none of them do well in deep snow. They all eventually get high centered with all 4 wheels spinning. Most AWDs will do ok in 12 inches on a paved or dirt secondary road, but beyond that as the snow gets deeper, no vehicle is going to avoid being high centered..