Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX 450h towing ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 08:07 AM
Sling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 450h towing ?

I was planning on buying a 2013 - 2014 RX 450h and pulling our small ( 17 ft, 2900lb) travel trailer around Canada this summer. I'm getting mixed results as to if this vehicle is able to tow that , or anything for that matter? This is the correspondence I received from Customer Assistant Center Lexus Canada!

" Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We would like to take this opportunity to advise that a Towing Package is not an available option for the 2013 RX 450h and 2014 RX 450h.

In addition, as stated in the Owner's Manual, "Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Lexus also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers."

We hope this information is helpful and thank you for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Hiyem Zabian
Customer Assistance Centre
Lexus Canada "

Anybody care to comment on this ?
Old 01-19-18, 09:24 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Take this as you see fit since this is your vehicle, I have a 2010 which I put a hitch on, but had the factory trailer wiring and towing oil cooler package already present. We don't do it a lot, but the odd utility trailer is what we use it for.
Old 01-19-18, 10:08 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is your's an AWD? Lexus does not recommend towing with the 2wd but the AWD is fine.

The chart on p.377 for my US RX450h has a limit of 3500lbs for one with the tow package. I've pulled my ~2500lbs boat with my '13 AWD 450h without any problems.

Of course there is also the problem of the electric only in reverse on hills and with heavy loads.
Old 01-19-18, 10:19 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tus
Is your's an AWD? Lexus does not recommend towing with the 2wd but the AWD is fine.

The chart on p.377 for my US RX450h has a limit of 3500lbs for one with the tow package. I've pulled my ~2500lbs boat with my '13 AWD 450h without any problems.

Of course there is also the problem of the electric only in reverse on hills and with heavy loads.
Good catch on this nuance. Mine is AWD.
Old 01-19-18, 10:38 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Sling
I was planning on buying a 2013 - 2014 RX 450h and pulling our small ( 17 ft, 2900lb) travel trailer around Canada this summer. I'm getting mixed results as to if this vehicle is able to tow that , or anything for that matter? This is the correspondence I received from Customer Assistant Center Lexus Canada!

" Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We would like to take this opportunity to advise that a Towing Package is not an available option for the 2013 RX 450h and 2014 RX 450h.

In addition, as stated in the Owner's Manual, "Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Lexus also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers."

We hope this information is helpful and thank you for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Hiyem Zabian
Lexus Canada "

Anybody care to comment on this ?
I used to own 450h, if you crawl under the car, take a look at the rear axle, you wouldn't feel like towing anything with this car. Regular RX is different story. I used to tow 32 feet 5th wheel weighing close to 3 tons using Ford supercab 3/4ton HD camper special. for many years. So know a thing or two about towing. Specially in the mountainous areas being in BC. Also in cold winter gas saving is almost none and driving in snow is not like regular RX with RX450h. Summer time is alright. Towing is all about safety.
Old 01-19-18, 02:04 PM
Sling
Driver School Candidate

Thank-you all for your replies. I am referring to the AWD model. I don't believe the 2 wheel version came out until sometime after 2014? Not sure though ! I've just read about the reversing problem when towing also. What I don't understand is that there is a towing package available and then the company tells me its not designed for towing, basically anything that uses a tow mounted hitch! This is super frustrating as I really wanted a RX 450h but now I'm just not sure it's is worth it since I will be towing with it I'm thinking it would be fine with a smaller load but I might be pushing it with a 2800lb camper?

Last edited by Sling; 01-19-18 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 02:42 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Thank-you all for your replies. I am referring to the AWD model. I don't believe the 2 wheel version came out until sometime after 2014? Not sure though ! I've just read about the reversing problem when towing also. What I don't understand is that there is a towing package available and then the company tells me its not designed for towing, basically anything that uses a tow mounted hitch! This is super frustrating as I really wanted a RS 450h but now I'm just not sure it's is worth it since I will be towing with it I'm thinking it would be fine with a smaller load but I might be pushing it with a 2800lb camper?
I don't think there is FWD RX in Canada. 2800 lbs. dry weight of the trailer? or fully loaded weight? When it is loaded the weight will be close to 3000 lbs.(propane tank, battery, water tank, furnishings, bedding, cooking utensils, food, etc.) Tandem axle? Or single axle(usually will have more tongue weight. Load balancing hitch, brake..... I wouldn't play with marginal safety. I never towed single axle trailer. Also hybrid RX has CVT. Good luck deciding. Have you good experience in towing? If not, it is quite different from driving a car or truck.
Old 01-20-18, 07:28 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/63...er-hybrid.html

Same power train. Should answer your question.
Old 01-20-18, 08:34 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/63...er-hybrid.html

Same power train. Should answer your question.
Hybrid got Atkinson cycle engine and CVT....Are they same?
Old 01-20-18, 05:36 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

There is no power train difference between Highlander Hybrid and RX hybrid. Links are for hybrids only. People tow large boats with them. I literally used mine as a truck for 6 months, hauling and towing and both same time. Link I referred to is in toyotanation Hybrid section, specifically - Highlander Hybrid. About the only difference I know, outside of looks is that RX has shocks in the rear and Highlander has struts. Maybe because it's larger vehicle cargo area wise.
PSD is not CVT. Only called that.
The following users liked this post:
Abrar (05-03-23)
Old 01-20-18, 06:07 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
There is no power train difference between Highlander Hybrid and RX hybrid. Links are for hybrids only. People tow large boats with them. I literally used mine as a truck for 6 months, hauling and towing and both same time. Link I referred to is in toyotanation Hybrid section, specifically - Highlander Hybrid. About the only difference I know, outside of looks is that RX has shocks in the rear and Highlander has struts. Maybe because it's larger vehicle cargo area wise.
PSD is not CVT. Only called that.
Hybrid tranny is a variant of CVT as far as I know. Not like typical gear box. Of course it can tow and haul but with what safety margin? Just driver and payload or fully occupied with passengers and payload? If OP is really interested, he can write back to the letter writer at Lexus and ask to clarify what the reason is to make a statement like that or visit pro hitch shop and consult with them. According to www.vehiclehistory.com says RX hybrid has CVT tranny and there is no gear in the box.

Last edited by Htony; 01-20-18 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 12:06 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts

Thank-you all for your replies. I am referring to the AWD model. I don't believe the 2 wheel version came out until sometime after 2014? Not sure though ! I've just read about the reversing problem when towing also. What I don't understand is that there is a towing package available and then the company tells me its not designed for towing, basically anything that uses a tow mounted hitch! This is super frustrating as I really wanted a RX 450h but now I'm just not sure it's is worth it since I will be towing with it I'm thinking it would be fine with a smaller load but I might be pushing it with a 2800lb camper?
It appears you are looking at older used models. I don’t know much about them. My 2016 RX 450h has the tow package & can tow up to 3500 lbs. My model 450h is AWD, but the rear is powered solely by an electric motor & a computer. I have towed my 6X12 dual axel trailer locally (25 miles or so), but not cross country. I have had it up to highway speeds & it did OK. I do think heavy wind will be a problem. Previously, I had a V-6 ½ ton pickup that struggled some in the mountains with this trailer, but overall it wasn’t bad.

Newer 450h models will do what you want. If not, consider looking at used VW Touareg TDIs. They are quiet, ride wonderful, get good mpg & have almost as much luxury as the RX. VW has fixed the V-6 diesel & it has been certified to sell again. They will tow at least 5,000 lbs or more.
Old 01-22-18, 01:21 PM
Sling
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at a 2014 RX 450h and was just about to buy one when I received the email from Lexus stating "' We would like to take this opportunity to advise that a Towing Package is not an available option for the 2013 RX 450h and 2014 RX 450h. In addition, as stated in the Owner's Manual, "Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Lexus also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers. We hope this information is helpful and thank you for taking the time to write. Sincerely,
Hiyem Zabian
Lexus Canada ""

I'm not sure who is right and who is wrong and why Lexus states in their 2014 RX450h specs, that I downloaded off their site, that it can tow up to 3500lbs, then send me an email stating " it's not designed for towing " !! What ever, I decided to forget about buying the RX450h and using it to tow our camper. I just want to be able to enjoy myself and not worry about the vehicle I'm driving ! Thanks to everyone who replied and I hope this helps out anyone else who is thinking about towing with the RX 450h.
Old 01-23-18, 02:15 PM
Sling
Driver School Candidate

I have just received this response from Lexus Canada who had sent me the original email warning me away from towing. I hope this clears up some of the issues about towing with a 2014 Lexus RX 450h. Too late for me though. I already bought a different make.

Dear Mr. Harvey:
Thank you for your reply.
We would like to take this opportunity to advise that upon further research, the 2014 RX 450h and 2013 RX 350h, are equipped with a towing package with the towing capacity for both vehicles is set at 3,500 lbs (1,585 kg).
We would like to direct you to the Owner's Manual, page 306 under Trailer towing regarding the 2014 RX 450h and page 373 under Trailer towing regarding the 2013 RX 450h states the following;
"Your vehicle is designed primarily as a passenger-and-load-carrying vehicle. Towing a trailer can have an adverse impact on handling, performance, braking, durability, and fuel consumption. For your safety and the safety of others, you must not overload your vehicle or trailer. You must also ensure that you are using appropriate towing equipment, that the towing equipment has been installed correctly and used properly, and that you employ the requisite driving habits.
Vehicle-trailer stability and braking performance are affected by trailer stability, brake performance and setting, trailer brakes, the hitch and hitch systems (if equipped). To tow a trailer safely, use extreme care and drive the vehicle in accordance with your trailers characteristics and operating conditions.
Lexus warranties do not apply to damage or malfunction caused by towing a trailer for commercial purposes. Contact your Lexus dealer for further information about additional requirements such as towing kits and so forth.
We thank you once again for taking the time to write. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Sincerely,
Hiyem Zabian
Lexus Canada
Old 06-09-22, 01:42 PM
browntrout
3rd Gear

Default Tow hitch 2011 RX450h

I have a hybrid 450h. I have several lightweight wooden rowboats (I build boats) and I use a couple different trailers to take them to various local lakes. I use these boats for a workout and once in a while to keep the local bass population healthy by never catching any of them. A few years ago I tried to get some info on a trailer hitch and got numerous Thou Shalt Not responses form dealers nearby. Has that changed? They don't understand or care that I don't put the car in the damn water. So it's not a question of whether I should, it's a question of how? Anyone have any luck getting a hitch on one of these? Has anything changed? My wife can get hitch for a Prius, why not one of these?

Quick Reply: RX 450h towing ?