Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Common issues on 2007 RX400H

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 10:17 AM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common issues on 2007 RX400H

Hello All,
Will be going later this afternoon to test drive a 2007 RX400H with 140k miles from a private seller. I would like to know what are the key things that go wrong on these. Couple of weeks ago I read about the

1. Oil cooler line pipes made of rubber and causing catastrophic failure when they failed.
2. VVTi lines made of rubber and can also cause the same issue.

However, the above items were on a RX350. Since the 400H has the older / smaller RX330 engine, I am not sure if these are the same issues for the 400H.

Would be really helpful if folks here can give me a quick list to be especially on guard against. Of course, I will get the vehicle checked out be an independent mechanic if it looks to be in decent shape. The owner said his wife who is a realtor has had it for past 3 years. I looked up the maintenance history on the Lexus site with the VIN#. Water pump and Timing belt were replaced by the first owner at about 75k miles. At the same time notes also state about "Rear main seal dripping" and "Replace front engine seals" - but these items were not done.

The battery had failed twice and was replaced by Lexus first at 36k miles a little over 3 yrs and then again at 66k miles in 2.5 yrs.

What are the common failures on these vehicles I should make sure the mechanic does not miss?

I do about 20k miles/yr. What do experienced folks here suggest to be better for the long term? RX350/400h/450h/GX470? I don't plan to change vehicles again unless it start being really troublesome and expensive. My 2005 Honda Pilot with 305k miles just got totaled this past weekend on Christmas eve.

Regards
Sanjay
Old 12-28-17, 12:52 PM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Default Common issues on 2007 RX400H

Hello All,
Will be going later this afternoon to test drive a 2007 RX400H with 140k miles from a private seller. I would like to know what are the key things that go wrong on these. Couple of weeks ago I read about the

1. Oil cooler line pipes made of rubber and causing catastrophic failure when they failed.
2. VVTi lines made of rubber and can also cause the same issue.

However, the above items were on a RX350. Since the 400H has the older / smaller RX330 engine, I am not sure if these are the same issues for the 400H.

Would be really helpful if folks here can give me a quick list to be especially on guard against. Of course, I will get the vehicle checked out be an independent mechanic if it looks to be in decent shape. The owner said his wife who is a realtor has had it for past 3 years. I looked up the maintenance history on the Lexus site with the VIN#. Water pump and Timing belt were replaced by the first owner at about 75k miles. At the same time notes also state about "Rear main seal dripping" and "Replace front engine seals" - but these items were not done.

The battery had failed twice and was replaced by Lexus first at 36k miles a little over 3 yrs and then again at 66k miles in 2.5 yrs.

What are the common failures on these vehicles I should make sure the mechanic does not miss?

I do about 20k miles/yr. What do experienced folks here suggest to be better for the long term? RX350/400h/450h/GX470? I don't plan to change vehicles again unless it start being really troublesome and expensive. My 2005 Honda Pilot with 305k miles just got totaled this past weekend on Christmas eve.

Regards
Sanjay
Old 12-28-17, 04:00 PM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2008 has only had the radiator start to leak so replaced that at about 72,000 miles and it did have the main hybrid battery fail, but Lexus replaced that under warranty at about 50,000 miles That appears to have been afluke as almost nobody else has had that happen.. At about 40,000 miles I replaced the tires and that is it. Oh the small regular battery has been replaced twice too. It has been a fantastic vehilce and over the past 4,000 miles I'm averaging 27.9 mpg. Insurance is reasonable and it still has zero squeeks or rattles. I would buy another when this one ever gives up.
Old 12-29-17, 05:40 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

400h does not have the same oil cooler/vvti issues as the 350. In addition to my radiator I have changed my radiator fans and my front control arm bushings. Other than that we spend $900 for a set of tires every 35k miles and replace the battery every 3 years. The older RX really eats tires fast. Personally I would rather drive a GX but 17 vs 27 mpg will add up.

Test drive a 450h and you probably will want that instead. That is what I would aim for if shopping today. They ride nicer and have more modern electronics and I bet the tires last much longer.

Our rear main seal was changed as a preventive measure when the transmission was out for warranty work (small hybrid coolant leak which is rare). The original never leaked but the replacement does a tiny bit. It just makes a small dirty spot on the engine that I wipe off during oil changes. Front seals don't seem to leak.

Most importantly check for coolant leaks, pink crust, on the transmission and inverter. Both of those are rare but expensive repairs. Also check for ABS type pedal feel when stopping normally. The electronic brake controller has an extended warranty which ends 12/31/17.
Old 12-30-17, 08:40 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Don't buy it. If "battery" you referring to is the actual hybrid battery, they do not just fail twice in that mileage. Something's not right with power management in that car. That said, if you were dead set on buying it (realtors put a lot of use onto their cars) at least, have hybrid tech, not a regular mechanic, scope current battery state of charge per cell. As I wish you well.
Old 12-30-17, 04:16 PM
2010rouge
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to your already mentioned water pump and belt, I had moisture inside the front headlight when I purchased my 2008 RX400H with 96k. This was replaced under the Lexus extended program (9 years after original purchase date).
My 12v battery also died the day after purchase, so I had that replaced as well.
Old 12-31-17, 07:04 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...07-rx400h.html
Old 01-01-18, 05:14 AM
Ssd108
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Don't buy it. If "battery" you referring to is the actual hybrid battery, they do not just fail twice in that mileage. Something's not right with power management in that car. That said, if you were dead set on buying it (realtors put a lot of use onto their cars) at least, have hybrid tech, not a regular mechanic, scope current battery state of charge per cell. As I wish you well.
Hi Ukrkoz, thanks for answering. Sorry, I did not make it clear that it was the 12 volt battery that was replaced twice. I expect the 12 volt battery to last 4+ years in general. Also, that's a good idea to get a hybrid Tech look at the car. But where to find one - we have a Greentec Auto location here in DFW who are quite reputed for replacing hybrid batteries - that is pretty much all they do. Would they be a good place to have the car looked at?

Hare Krishna!
Old 01-01-18, 07:21 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

I'd presume so. Always remember, those vehicles have two batteries - 12V and traction, aka hybrid one. That car is out of warranty on hybrid battery and, down the road, it is the largest $$$$ replacement when it goes bad. They need to check cells for state of charge. Also, they should have Techstream software and be capable of screening vehicle component by component for possible issues.

https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/faq#degrade
Old 01-11-18, 10:20 AM
Gaffer
4th Gear

Hi I might not be in the right place but if anyone out there could help me
I have a 2008 Rx400h 80k miles. I started it up this morning selected d and the car won’t move even with pressure on the gas. Put it in reverse it moves but not in drive it just sits there. Foot break is off by the way.
Thankyou for any help on this. Graham
Old 01-11-18, 06:30 PM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaffer
Hi I might not be in the right place but if anyone out there could help me
I have a 2008 Rx400h 80k miles. I started it up this morning selected d and the car won’t move even with pressure on the gas. Put it in reverse it moves but not in drive it just sits there. Foot break is off by the way.
Thankyou for any help on this. Graham
Wow, doesn't sound good. You have had no signs of any trans issues up to this point? Does the engine start? No lights on the dash? No massive fluid leaks under the car? I have the exact car with the same mileage.
Old 01-12-18, 05:17 AM
Gaffer
4th Gear

Default Won’t move in d

hi thanks for replying. I have no leaks no dash board lights nothin. THe car say ready, I start the engine. Select from park to drive car won’t go forward.
But last night I put the car in B and then moved to d and it moved forward
Old 01-15-18, 11:51 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaffer
hi thanks for replying. I have no leaks no dash board lights nothin. THe car say ready, I start the engine. Select from park to drive car won’t go forward.
But last night I put the car in B and then moved to d and it moved forward
Mine had an issue two weeks ago where the gear shifter did not fall into gear correctly. It took several shifts up and down to have it selected. The gear D should show highlighted on the dash. I took it to a car wash with warm water for the fix...werid I know.
Old 01-15-18, 12:28 PM
Gaffer
4th Gear

Default Car won’t move forward in d

cheers for the reply. I might just do that. GO through the gears several times. To see if it’s a bad connection