Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Ordered our new 450h and have one question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 07:45 PM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered our new 450h and have one question

Our dealer ordered us a new 450h from Japan today and we are super excited about getting it. It is a loaded Starfire Pearl w/Sport Appearance Package and Parchment/Bamboo interior. Should be here in around 3 weeks or so.

Anyway, I was just sitting here thinking about the heater system in a hybrid. Regular gas engines heat up the coolant, but the engine is running all the time. We get pretty cold here in the high Nevada desert and was wondering how long it takes to get the engine up to temp with this system. Generally we have heat in a couple of miles with our "normal" cars.
Old 10-03-14, 08:43 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

If you turn the heat on, the engine will continue to run until the coolant is at sufficient operating temperature to heat the interior. If it's really cold out, well below freezing, the engine will pretty much run almost continuously to keep everything warm. The 'h' I suppose should technically warm up faster than a regular RX, as the coolant is directed around the exhaust system to heat it more quickly.
Old 10-03-14, 09:11 PM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Ahh, ok thanks. So, not that it matters, but I assume your mileage may be a bit lower in winter?
Old 10-04-14, 04:41 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats SeventyGTX. One thing to do when it's cold outside is turn off eco mode. That and heated seats will help you get warm quicker. I also use remote start for a boost. Gas mileage will take a hit. But it'll be less the longer you drive.
Old 10-04-14, 06:45 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Don, congrats on your order and of course I approve your color selection . Adding to Anita's comments I've found the 'biggest' hit to winter mileage is short trips and the winter blends of gas. When you 1st get into the car the temps in the traction batteries can be pretty low so less output until they warm a tad. They'll actually warm from being used as well. So just plan your trips to the furthest stop 1st then back to home. If I'm highway traveling some distance in the winter I notice very little difference.
Old 10-04-14, 11:30 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

I don't think we have different summer and winter blends here in Nevada. At least I never heard of it before. I only hear people on the north east side of the country talk about it. This car won't be out in the real cold weather too often as it will stay in our insulated garage most of the time which rarely gets below 40 in it even if its 10 outside. It will be heavily pampered though.

It's going to be a looooong three weeks waiting for it.
Old 10-04-14, 12:04 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Anita and Jim, I don't know if you have had the opportunity to drive a loaner in the winter months, but the newer models warm up very fast regardless of the ECO Mode setting. It seemed like my 2010 (which both of you drive) took forever to warm up, but my 2013 gets there within 1-2 miles. I have no idea what Lexus did but I like it!!!!!
Old 10-06-14, 12:40 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

FYI - hybrid will warm up quicker than its gas-only sibling. There is a heat exchanger on the exhaust to warm up engine coolant to get it up to operating temp quicker. This is a 3rd gen feature.
We got down to -8F last winter around here. Our RXh fared well enough, given the conditions.
I ran it in sport mode just in case.
Old 10-10-14, 08:33 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bob and vlad, I tend to keep the temp at 75 year round in auto setting. AC is on too. Maybe that plays into how slowly my 450h warms up in the winter. Can you can tell me what you set yours at?
Old 10-10-14, 09:04 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by vlad_a
FYI - hybrid will warm up quicker than its gas-only sibling. There is a heat exchanger on the exhaust to warm up engine coolant to get it up to operating temp quicker. This is a 3rd gen feature.
We got down to -8F last winter around here. Our RXh fared well enough, given the conditions.
I ran it in sport mode just in case.
Great info, thanks!
Old 10-10-14, 02:02 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Anita,

I tend to keep the RX at 72 during summer with AC on and somewhere around 67F during winter.
I do turn AC off manually, although, it will not engage if the outside temp is below 32F.

If you look at the engine temp gauge, you can see how quickly it rises.
Old 10-11-14, 01:12 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Bob and vlad, I tend to keep the temp at 75 year round in auto setting. AC is on too. Maybe that plays into how slowly my 450h warms up in the winter. Can you can tell me what you set yours at?
I generally have mine set at 72 in the Winter and 70 in the Summer. That setting should have to bearing on how quickly the engine temp comes up.

My garage is insulated but not heated. So my vehicles don't quite get to outside temps. Even with that it would take up to 10 miles before my 2010 would come up to temp.

By up to temp, I mean normal engine operating temp. That is the half way point on my temp gauge.
Old 09-03-15, 10:41 AM
rxgs2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
Our dealer ordered us a new 450h from Japan today and we are super excited about getting it. It is a loaded Starfire Pearl w/Sport Appearance Package and Parchment/Bamboo interior. Should be here in around 3 weeks or so.

Anyway, I was just sitting here thinking about the heater system in a hybrid. Regular gas engines heat up the coolant, but the engine is running all the time. We get pretty cold here in the high Nevada desert and was wondering how long it takes to get the engine up to temp with this system. Generally we have heat in a couple of miles with our "normal" cars.
Having driven the RX450h for 5 years now I can report the car does heat up quickly. It will heat up more if the ECO mode is not selected. You can see on the temperature gauge the difference on the target temperature threshold, when you switch the ECO mode on and off. If the engine has just warmed up to the point that the engine shuts down, turn off the eco mode and the engine will start again. This applies to the climate control being set to ON and the temperature requested is higher than it is outside. You can play with the climate control temperature setting and cause the engine to turn on or off. The engine runs to keep the water hot when you request heat. I have found turning on the defroster gets more heat too. I also find putting the climate control system in recirculate on cold days gives you more heat since it's easier to raise 50 degree air to 90 degrees than it is to raise 20 degree air to 90. I find the same logic applies to summer. Leave the A/C in fresh air mode until the inside of the car gets down to the temperature of the outside air, maybe 2 minutes, then put it in recirculate. I don't know why car designers haven't figured this out yet. Trying to cool 150 degree air down to 50 degrees means a temperature drop of 100 degrees. Why not take 90 degree air from outside and cool it down until the inside air reaches the outside air temperature, then switch to recirculate. You cool off the air inside the car faster. I have found cold weather driving kills gas economy on short trips, with the heat on. Once Spring comes I get much better mileage on my 4 mile trip to work. The best fuel economy I have noted was 35MPG on a trip from Wyoming to Colorado. I got terrific mileage on a whole tank of gas. I suppose I may have been doing a lot of down hill travel. On a 6,000 and a 5,000 mile vacation trip I got a reliable 28.5 miles per gallon, driving some of the trip 70-75MPH, other times puttering along slow inside National Parks, with the A/C on!
Old 09-08-15, 02:55 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX

Sorry can not help you with your question but we just bought a 15 RX450h with your beautiful interior combo. It came with the dark gray mats which are great for not showing dirt but IMO distract from the light interior. We bought the tan weathertech mats. I also bought them for my ES300h that came with the parchment carpet mats. The original carpet mats looked good for a month but impossible to keep clean. They are a little darker than the pics which is actually good for keeping them clean. The rears interlock keeping them from sliding around.

http://www.weathertech.com/lexus/201...s-all-weather/

Last edited by Freds430; 09-08-15 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-12-15, 09:24 AM
rxgs2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reply to Freds430

Fred, you will be very happy with the RX hybrid. It warmes up faster than a regular RX because it has the heat exchanger on the exhaust system. With the climate control turned off, or if the climate control temperature is set lower than the outside temperature, the engine will shut down when ever you are not stepping on the gas and the traction battery is sufficiently charged. If you request heat on the climate control, the engine will start to make hot water for your comfort. It does burn some gasoline, but heat is important sometimes. If you engage the ECO mode the engine will aim for a lower water temperature before it shuts down. That will make the air in the passenger compartment less hot. If you want hot air don't turn on the ECO mode. Of course if you are driving, and the engine is running, the air is always plenty hot. the 3.5 litre engine is pretty big, so it warms up fast. I have been very happy with my RX after 5 years. I just replaced my 2010 with a new 2015. I love the hybrid, especially the continuosly variable automatic transmission. It's so smooth. Some people think the continuously variable transmission seems sluggish, but that's just a perception thing. This car moves out when you step on the gas. If you really want to fly off the line at a traffic light, hold down the brake and press the gas pedal to the floor. Nothing will happen until you let off the brake. The only thing pressing the gas pedal does is start the engine, so it's running already when the brake is released. I find the RX has hyper drive when on the highway and I go to pass someone. It's like it has a rocket on the bumper. Step on the gas and it takes off! I think that's when the battery reserve is sent to the front and rear traction motors full power. It is a 4.5 liter engine then. Enjoy your RX. Let me know how you like yours.
Ron