Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX 400h key replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 04:00 PM
ctepperor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX 400h key replacement

My plastic key fob broke. Where can I get a replacement, other than the dealer? What do I need to buy?
Old 04-03-14, 09:37 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have you checked ebay? either way the dealer may need to reprogram it.
Old 04-05-14, 05:03 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

There is finally a solution to the Lexus broken key problem!! The best replacement on the market is called the Eternity Key. The others break and its costly to replace over and over. The Eternity Key is made of military grade materials, stronger than anything on the market, and has a lifetime warranty. Available at Lexus dealers or see www.eternitykey.com for dealers.
Old 04-05-16, 07:41 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Did anyone try programming a key yet? I bought a key blank from banggood for $20 and was able to program the transponder chip using techstream. but I can not program the door lock. I tried key insert twice, close/open door etc method but no go.
I am still looking for a place to cut the key, I may need to go to the dealer (someone said its $25 for the cut there) a local locksmith quoted $140 for the cut and program.

Next time i will try this so save looking for key cut, just a little weary to send my key to be cut over the internet..
http://www.ebay.com/usr/1010keys?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Old 04-13-16, 08:11 PM
mian
Driver School Candidate

Hold on to your broken key. The guts can be used the electronic part which is very expensive. I went through something similar on my gs300. After lot of research I found the best was to ask a dealer to shell part of the key with stem about 100 and then the dealer can reprogram it for you for 50 or so. They have a special machine to cut the stem from your old broken stem or the number of your key. Do not waste your ime on alternative methods they are not the same as original key set. Good Luck.
Old 04-14-16, 06:22 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mian
Hold on to your broken key. The guts can be used the electronic part which is very expensive. I went through something similar on my gs300. After lot of research I found the best was to ask a dealer to shell part of the key with stem about 100 and then the dealer can reprogram it for you for 50 or so. They have a special machine to cut the stem from your old broken stem or the number of your key. Do not waste your ime on alternative methods they are not the same as original key set. Good Luck.
I lost the other keys and down to my last key (beside the card key). I think the local dealer might make the cut for me for $25-50 but I hear that some dealers will not touch an aftermarket key blank. I think to program its another $100.
I am tempted to make a dremel jig to cut my own key from the original stem for the fun of it . (I if i fail I will take it to get it cut at dealer)

the only part i haven't got is programming the door locks. May be i will try the smart key maker...
Amazon.com: Smart Keymaker Key Maker Programmer 4D and 4C Chip For TOYOTA LEXUS Support K Line and CAN-BUS Protocols: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Smart Keymaker Key Maker Programmer 4D and 4C Chip For TOYOTA LEXUS Support K Line and CAN-BUS Protocols: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 04-15-16, 08:31 PM
mian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jooksing82
I lost the other keys and down to my last key (beside the card key). I think the local dealer might make the cut for me for $25-50 but I hear that some dealers will not touch an aftermarket key blank. I think to program its another $100.
I am tempted to make a dremel jig to cut my own key from the original stem for the fun of it . (I if i fail I will take it to get it cut at dealer)

the only part i haven't got is programming the door locks. May be i will try the smart key maker... Amazon.com: Smart Keymaker Key Maker Programmer 4D and 4C Chip For TOYOTA LEXUS Support K Line and CAN-BUS Protocols: Cell Phones & Accessories
The dealer should be able to sell you a blank for about $100 or less. I bought one from Lexus on the park here in Canada. Generally dealers are not volunteering the information the the electronic guts can be reused in a new shell with cutting the key from card key or key number . Good Luck.
Mian In Toronto.
Old 05-09-16, 10:00 PM
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am in need of a new key as the original one cracked open. Is it possible to just buy a new housing and swap JUST the guts AND stem? Trying to avoid having to cut a new blank too.
Old 05-16-16, 10:20 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PUREADDICT
I too am in need of a new key as the original one cracked open. Is it possible to just buy a new housing and swap JUST the guts AND stem? Trying to avoid having to cut a new blank too.
Easiest way for you is to order one from ebay that is pre-cut for you. 1010key seller has been reference several times in the forums. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PRE-CUT-3-...-/162070005579

When you get it all is left is swap the electronics of the key over and you would be good to go.

Else you can buy a blank online - and spend another $25-$30 get it cut at dealer.

An OEM blank cost $60. Even the dealer sells a better "aftermarket key" that claims to be stronger than OEM for about $100 for the blank...

I am still trying to figure out a way to make a key myself but that is a long and hard route.
Old 06-22-16, 02:20 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need now replacement key as keyless go doesn't work well with rx400
Attached Thumbnails RX 400h key replacement-broken-key.jpg  
Old 06-26-16, 03:28 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a funny story about getting a replacement key. We bought our 2007 Rx400h used in 2012 with 80K miles on it at an out of state Jeep dealership. The car seemed to be in great shape and the dealership threw on a set of brand new tires, a new 12V battery, and new windshield for us. However, it only came with one key and I was concerned that we've be in trouble if we ever lost that singular key. So I looked into buying a replacement and was quoted $300 from the Lexus dealership. I'm an occasion outdoorsy guy who can easy lose his car keys on a hike, off a sailboat, or out cycling. I've always toyed with the idea of duct taping a valet key on the undercarriage of the car or somewhere on the rear suspension.

I looked online to see what my other options were and I ended up buying a blank key on eBay for $20, a clone of Techstream on Amazon.com, and a laptop to run Windows 7 32-bit. I had the the key cut in a Korean BBQ parking lot after walking past a mobile locksmith ($20), and I was able to program the key with Techstream.

Three months later, I had my mechanic replace the CVT fluid and I was looking underneath the car to see the condition of all the bushings. Lo and behold, I see a rolled up Ziplock sandwich bag zip-tied to random hook/hole at the driver side rear suspension. Inside the incredibly grimy bag is the 2nd key that came with the car! I had to reprogram the key since I changed the original code, but now we have 3 keys.
Old 06-27-16, 01:42 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

I was able to program the key with Techstream.
How did you program the keyless door remote?

I better look under my car too unless the potholes has claimed it.
Old 06-27-16, 05:54 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jooksing82
How did you program the keyless door remote?

I better look under my car too unless the potholes has claimed it.

If you've got a copy of Techstream, use this video instruction I found on youtube:

The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-12-18)
Old 07-22-16, 05:29 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Thanks Maximizese, I am one step closer!
The wireless door key setup is in
Body->utility ->Wireless code registration.

Previously I program the immobilizer chip by
Immobilizer-> Utility ->Key registration.

For some reason the wireless power lift gate does not work on the new key. I suspect its the cheap key I got (the light on the key does not flash like the OEM when button is held)

On other not.. no key found tied to my suspension
Old 08-16-16, 06:10 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Just wanted to add that I have gone thru 4 aftermarket keys. They always break at same spot. I just got the eternity key which is guaranteed for life at the dealers for $118. It is definetly a better product, expensive, but better...

Quick Reply: RX 400h key replacement