Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX 450h snow traction

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 12:48 PM
jbdvm1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX 450h snow traction

I am considering trading in my '06 GX 470 for the more economical RX 450h. Anyone have positive or negative comments about the hybrid AWD system in snowy conditions?
Old 01-27-13, 02:35 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GX has much better off-road capability and can run in AWD all the time if needed while in snow. The RX450h drives its front wheels with the gas engine and has its rear wheels driven by the hybrid electric motor, so you'll only be in AWD mode as long as the hybrid battery still has enough charge.

If you drive in snow conditions that requires AWD at all times for really long trips, you may be better off with the GX.

Keep in mind that you'll be paying the GX's off-road capability in lower gas mileage.
Old 01-27-13, 04:32 PM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbdvm1988
I am considering trading in my '06 GX 470 for the more economical RX 450h. Anyone have positive or negative comments about the hybrid AWD system in snowy conditions?
We just traded in our GX470, '06 in December for an RX450H AWD and recently had some snow. Overall, felt comfortable driving in the snow, but also put it in "Snow Hybrid" mode. So far very satisfied with our purchase and the gas mileage.
Old 01-27-13, 09:52 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

I guess it depends on your snow expectations. The AWD system is clearly not meant for off road use, only to provide better traction on slippery ROADS. I've not run it in really deep snow, my experience has mainly been on suburban roads that manage to get plowed at least once or twice when a storm comes. The major difference difference I notice in a hybrid, is how mild mannered the system works in snow. You can jam the gas pedal straight to the floor in a few inches of snow and you just go, smooth and calm, no surprises. It's like you're on dry roads but using less power. Electric motors just respond much more precisely to computer control that to me, driving on snowy roads just seems more civilized in a hybrid. So if you're looking to have 4 snowy rooster tails coming the tires, you won't get that here!

In one particular example, I was stopped at a red light on uphill grade in 2 or 3" of snow, no salt or plow yet. These are usually bad because you are either in slushy snow or the previous cars have created ice by spinning their tires to get going up the hill. In "Hybrid SNOW" mode, the (all season) front tires spun a bit, with a little bit of sideways drift just for a second. It did require a minor steering correction. The back end stayed calm and I got up to speed with no issue. I think the "snow mode" allows a little more wheel spin than normal so as not to get bogged down in deeper snow, it also seems to push more with the rear wheels while driving at a steady "city" speed (at least what I saw from watching the energy monitor). From my experience under suburban conditions it is more than effective at getting you going faster than you should be on snowy roads reasonably quickly and uneventfully. It certainly won't snap your next back if that's what you want, it's actually exciting how boring it is.

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
you'll only be in AWD mode as long as the hybrid battery still has enough charge
I don't believe this could ever be an issue. True, the drive at the rear wheels is by electric motor only, but that does not mean that the hybrid battery will be depleted by AWD. The generator is capable of providing significant electric power to maintain battery charge and keeping electric power to the motors. Depleting the hybrid battery is actually very difficult to do. The only time I've ever heard this happening is when a significant duration of consistently very high power levels are required (such as climbing long hills at high speed). Since rear wheel traction on a street AWD system is typically needed mainly at lower speeds in bursts to maintain traction, it is not going to discharge the hybrid battery.
Old 01-28-13, 04:59 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

RE: the AWD in the 450h and how long it will run. Yes it's electric but it won't deplete the traction battery as the motor/generator (driven by the internal combustion engine) will supply the electric power to the rear wheels just as it does to the front wheels. No worries about depleting the charge, it won't be allowed to happen. Plus the rear wheel drive only works as traction requires it (in the hybrid version).
Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
The GX has much better off-road capability and can run in AWD all the time if needed while in snow. The RX450h drives its front wheels with the gas engine and has its rear wheels driven by the hybrid electric motor, so you'll only be in AWD mode as long as the hybrid battery still has enough charge.

If you drive in snow conditions that requires AWD at all times for really long trips, you may be better off with the GX.

Keep in mind that you'll be paying the GX's off-road capability in lower gas mileage.
Old 01-28-13, 09:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't have any experience with the GX but I've driven through a few winters now in the 450h. First thing, I haven't noticed any signifigant difference between my old 330 and the 450h as far as AWD performance. The RXh does get the benefit of VDIM to prevent slipping. It comes on before I even notice a problem, mostly in very slushy conditions, rarely in the snow. Tires certainly play a part too. I use sequential shifting to help slow down when it's bad and skip snow mode. Downhill assist helps on the inclines. Only used it once on a snow covered hill so far. To be honest, I was concerned about the 450h in the snow but I haven't been disappointed/stuck yet. And it's definitely fun driving over freshly fallen snow with the only noise coming from the tires
Old 02-01-13, 09:01 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

My RX450h is absolutely solid in the snow. I drove through an unplowed road on purpose to see how it will do, stopping and starting with no issues. I do have snow tires, so that helps, as it would on any car.

The snow mode routes more power to the rear wheels, activates them earlier and keeps them under power longer. Go into Info/Apps screen-> Fuel Economy for some nice graphics to see what the car is doing.
Old 02-01-13, 03:12 PM
Westyfield
Driver School Candidate

Hybrid Snow Mode + Winter Tyres in our MY13 RX450H (AWD) was absolutely fine in the snow .
Old 02-01-13, 09:12 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Default 450H in snow

I drove my 2010 450H for three winters in snowy SW Ontario Canada and never had a problem. I admit that I never took it offroad. I now have a 2013 450H and have had no problem in city and highway driving this winter, although we have not had a lot of snow yet this year. Good luck!
Old 02-02-13, 05:44 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember the hybrid system doesnt allow wheelspin, make sure you turn it off if you need to take a run at slippery hills