Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2011 RX450h vs Highlander Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 09:08 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 RX450h vs Highlander Hybrid

Has anyone done a comparison between these two? I like both but the Toyota a little more for its roominess and third row seats. On the hand, there are not much toys/gadget available for this car. Are there any major differences in the drive train/hybrid system?
Old 09-07-11, 09:31 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The two, while share the same platform, are actually pretty different. Like you said, this new generation highlander goes the 7 passenger route, so it is clearly larger and probably has more usable space. There are the obvious differences like build materials, technology, refinement that you can probably get a good idea about with a test drive of both.

Regarding the hybrid system specifically, the highlander gets 28/28mpg while the RX gets 32/28 and the RX has more total system horsepower. Clearly this was done to give more reason to buy the premium RXh. I dont know what they have done specifically, but Id venture to say that the highlander is missing the exhaust re-circulation system and other fuel saving technologies that have made their way in the new line of toyota/lexus hybrids. Honestly, it would bother me as a highlander perspective buyer to know that toyota purposely made it worse to make the RX better (and also probably for cost reasons)
Old 09-07-11, 01:46 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove both extensively when shopping for my car. The more I drove the Highlander the less I like it and actually started to dislike it. My advice is to carefully test drive both. The Highlander was just to big for me. I did not like it's handling. The cost vs the relatively low mileage didn't make sense. I really didn't need three rows of seating.
Old 09-07-11, 02:19 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some features you won't find on the Toyota.
IE: HID, auto up/down with jam protection on all windows......
Old 09-07-11, 04:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ lots more than that: real wood trim, LED headlights, HUD, better leather, lexus enform, more speakers, 6 disc changer versus 4, better nav screen resolution,
Old 09-07-11, 06:41 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Thanks all for the feedback. All valid points, especially the tech stuffs like the side cameras, nav, parking sensors are not available for the Toyota at any price.
Old 09-08-11, 08:00 PM
marcarl
Driver School Candidate

I was considering the Highlander Hybrid vs. the 450h. The cabin specs don't prove it, but the front seat in the 450 seems roomier. I'm tall, 6'5", and my wife"s 2010 350 is quite comfortable for me to drive. A short test drive of the Highlander felt cramped.
Also the Highlander has nowhere near the look of the Lexus.
Old 09-09-11, 03:24 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO dealership differences make the Lexus version worth it.
Your mileage may differ.
Old 09-13-11, 08:54 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

I, too, drove both, and extensively researched each before I chose the 450h.
We didn't need another 7 passenger vehicle. I liked the somewhat sportier appearance of the RX, and felt it had a little more "driving feel" than the Highlander. After driving the RX since 4/1, I've enjoyed every aspect of it, except that the ML audio system wasn't available aside from special order. We use the RX as our traveling vehicle; it has a great ride and gets 26-27 MPG on average with mid-grade fuel.
Old 09-15-11, 12:09 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Has anyone done a comparison between these two? I like both but the Toyota a little more for its roominess and third row seats. On the hand, there are not much toys/gadget available for this car. Are there any major differences in the drive train/hybrid system?
You actually answered your question with these statements.
Which is more important to you, the 3rd row seats or the Luxury?

if money is an issue, just go with a regular Highlander.
the Hybrid comes with a price tag that's hard to justify.

if you really want a REAL hybrid.. get the Prius v.
Old 09-15-11, 02:40 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers

What constitutes a REAL hybrid?
Old 09-15-11, 03:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^^ I'd like to know the answer to that one too.
Old 09-15-11, 07:05 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
^^ I'd like to know the answer to that one too.
Someone posted a link on the RX board several weeks ago that discussed the Toyota hybrid in detail. It described why the Toyota hybrid is referred to as the a "true hybrid". It then compared it to some of the other hybrid designs out there.

If I remember correctly it has something to do with the fact that Toyota does not use what we consider a "typical" transmission and the lack of a mechanical connection between the engine and the drive wheels.
Old 09-15-11, 08:56 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are all real hybrids from Toyota/Lexus. Now Honda's IMA system is not a true hybrid. in comparison.

I love the RX 450h but I have to see the refreshed Highlander is really well done!
Old 09-15-11, 09:06 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by markrivers
You actually answered your question with these statements.
Which is more important to you, the 3rd row seats or the Luxury?

if money is an issue, just go with a regular Highlander.
the Hybrid comes with a price tag that's hard to justify.

I wanted all in one package, third row seats, toys and good MPG with decent power. I wish they offered the RXh with third row seats, and problem solved. I would like to stay all Lexus when the IS lease is up, in addition to the LFA due to arrive in 2013.
I can't stand vehicles for DD with bad MPG. The Toyota rep was telling me to expect around 10L/100km for the Highlander Hybrid regardless of the 6.x L/100Km rating. That is still 40% better than my IS's actual milage. So any comparison between non-hybrid to hybrid is not relevant.
Any other constructive suggestions?

Quick Reply: 2011 RX450h vs Highlander Hybrid