whats your mpg on RX450h? - Page 43 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-14, 09:11 AM   #631
sleepysurf
Driver
 
sleepysurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Interestingly, after hitting 30k with my 2010 450h, I decided to try 89 octane (instead of Premium). Lo and behold, my MPG's went up from 28.5 to 29.5, for mixed city/hwy driving. Surprising, but I'm not complaining!
sleepysurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 09:23 AM   #632
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
oohpapi44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SouthSide Qns
Posts: 5,921
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
Interestingly, after hitting 30k with my 2010 450h, I decided to try 89 octane (instead of Premium). Lo and behold, my MPG's went up from 28.5 to 29.5, for mixed city/hwy driving. Surprising, but I'm not complaining!
My experience is the total opposite. Mileage went down with octane level.

At best with mostly city driving I can get to 25mpg but the effort to do that is absolutely herculean and no fun at all. I've never gotten above 27.1 in any condition, but again, no fun at all. With number of yellow cabs, tourist drivers and now bicycles on nyc streets, just not possible to keep sanity levels (whatever remain) and get better numbers.

I don't pay any attention to it any more and I will average from 21 to 23 mpg as my 'normal'. If I ever want to feel good about not coming close to any of your numbers posted here, I jump in my GS and look at that 13.1 mpg number I get here.
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 10:22 AM   #633
Aptosuser
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Monterey Bay Area, CA
Posts: 197
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
I don't pay any attention to it any more and I will average from 21 to 23 mpg as my 'normal'. If I ever want to feel good about not coming close to any of your numbers posted here, I jump in my GS and look at that 13.1 mpg number I get here.
I compare the 27.8 mpg we've been averaging in mixed driving in our 6-cylinder '10 RX 450h with the 21-22 mpg I was averaging in our 6-cylinder '07 RAV4, and I'm satisfied with it as a compromise between fuel economy and true comfort behind the wheel -- not to mention the available power when I need it. We average around 40 mpg in our Camry hybrid, but I have a gimpy hip and I need a higher seat than the sedan's, especially on trips out of town. If my primary focus coming from the RAV had been mileage, I would've gone for a Prius or just waited for the forthcoming NX 300h, which has the same power plant as the Camry (but for some reason, six fewer horses under the hood). It will certainly return better mileage than the RX hybrid does, although quite possibly with less comfort, ride-wise.
Aptosuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 11:50 AM   #634
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver
 
markrivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,055
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
Interestingly, after hitting 30k with my 2010 450h, I decided to try 89 octane (instead of Premium). Lo and behold, my MPG's went up from 28.5 to 29.5, for mixed city/hwy driving. Surprising, but I'm not complaining!
Possibly the "summer blend" of fuel.
My experience is, Whether in the Northeast or here in California, the type of fuel dictates the mpg.
Winter blend + cooler temp decreases mpg in all our vehicles. Both hybrid and non hybrid.
Summer blend and a warmer temp do the opposite.
markrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 01:09 PM   #635
Allannde
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptosuser View Post
I compare the 27.8 mpg we've been averaging in mixed driving in our 6-cylinder '10 RX 450h with the 21-22 mpg I was averaging in our 6-cylinder '07 RAV4, and I'm satisfied with it as a compromise between fuel economy and true comfort behind the wheel -- not to mention the available power when I need it. We average around 40 mpg in our Camry hybrid, but I have a gimpy hip and I need a higher seat than the sedan's, especially on trips out of town. If my primary focus coming from the RAV had been mileage, I would've gone for a Prius or just waited for the forthcoming NX 300h, which has the same power plant as the Camry (but for some reason, six fewer horses under the hood). It will certainly return better mileage than the RX hybrid does, although quite possibly with less comfort, ride-wise.
I find it interesting to compare the different way much of the world looks at gasoline economy. We use miles per gallon. Canada an much of the rest of the world use liters per 100 kilometers. But we would understand better if it was expressed in gallons per 100 miles so I have attached a table doing that. Notice that at 30 mpg you save 3 gallons in 100 miles over 16 mpg but at 67 mpg you only save 1.5 gallons more and at 117 mpg you save only 2 gallons more in 100 miles over 16 mpg.

So the greatest gasoline savings are at relatively small mpg gains at lower mpg.

That should be encouraging news for euroja153
Attached Thumbnails
whats your mpg on RX450h?-mpg.png  

Last edited by Allannde; 05-06-14 at 01:15 PM.
Allannde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 03:26 PM   #636
Aptosuser
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Monterey Bay Area, CA
Posts: 197
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allannde View Post
Notice that at 30 mpg you save 3 gallons in 100 miles over 16 mpg but at 67 mpg you only save 1.5 gallons more and at 117 mpg you save only 2 gallons more in 100 miles over 16 mpg.

So the greatest gasoline savings are at relatively small mpg gains at lower mpg.

That should be encouraging news for euroja153
Who gets 67 or 117 mpg and in what car? I want one!
Aptosuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 09:21 PM   #637
Allannde
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptosuser View Post
Who gets 67 or 117 mpg and in what car? I want one!
Here is my 2012 Plug in Prius. It is a real car with most of the good things that we expect today like power windows, power driver's seat, heated front seats, Head up Display, Pre Collision System, Intelligent Radar Cruise Control, non skid brakes, stability control. and back up camera. It seats five adults and has almost as much cargo space as an SUV. Unlike some other Plug in cars, it has a flat cargo floor.

When running on non EV hybrid (like an RXh) I regularly get 60 mpg. The mix of non EV AND EV has, for me, a two year life time mpg average of 115 mpg. These cars are available.

The reason the table has such odd numbers is that there is a third column which is liters per 100 kilometers equivalent. It is even numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
whats your mpg on RX450h?-ggg-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Allannde; 05-06-14 at 09:49 PM.
Allannde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 02:07 PM   #638
Aptosuser
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Monterey Bay Area, CA
Posts: 197
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allannde View Post
Here is my 2012 Plug in Prius .... When running on non EV hybrid (like an RXh) I regularly get 60 mpg. The mix of non EV AND EV has, for me, a two year life time mpg average of 115 mpg. These cars are available.
Allande, I know about these cars for sure. Unfortunately, we don't have a garage, so we have to park our cars in our driveway and I don't want to charge a plug-in that's exposed to the street in that manner, not to mention the expense of installing an exterior outlet for it. They make a lot of sense, and for good for you for buying one.

We will continue to milk our two hybrids for all the mpg they're worth. Today when I filled up the RX hybrid, my real-world, at-the-pump mpg for the latest tank of gas (premium) was 29.57. This was even a shade better than the car's computer had predicted, which was 29.3 mpg. According to the car computer, we've been averaging 30.7 since the beginning of March. That's in mixed driving with a heavy dose of freeway driving in the mix. My wife was the car's principal driver for six weeks of this period as I was unable to drive because I was recovering from surgery. I have only been driving the car for the last couple of weeks. But I have managed to stay close to my wife's stellar average mpg by driving more like she does -- which is more slowly than I was going, although not by much. Instead of driving at the 65 mph limit, I keep to 62, and I have no problem slowing to 60 in the right-hand lane when my exit is coming up.
Aptosuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 06:09 PM   #639
Allannde
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptosuser View Post
Allande, I know about these cars for sure. Unfortunately, we don't have a garage, so we have to park our cars in our driveway and I don't want to charge a plug-in that's exposed to the street in that manner, not to mention the expense of installing an exterior outlet for it. They make a lot of sense, and for good for you for buying one.

We will continue to milk our two hybrids for all the mpg they're worth. Today when I filled up the RX hybrid, my real-world, at-the-pump mpg for the latest tank of gas (premium) was 29.57. This was even a shade better than the car's computer had predicted, which was 29.3 mpg. According to the car computer, we've been averaging 30.7 since the beginning of March. That's in mixed driving with a heavy dose of freeway driving in the mix. My wife was the car's principal driver for six weeks of this period as I was unable to drive because I was recovering from surgery. I have only been driving the car for the last couple of weeks. But I have managed to stay close to my wife's stellar average mpg by driving more like she does -- which is more slowly than I was going, although not by much. Instead of driving at the 65 mph limit, I keep to 62, and I have no problem slowing to 60 in the right-hand lane when my exit is coming up.
Aptouser, I think that you should be proud of your efforts to conserve gasoline. You are consuming half of the fuel of the major competitors of the RX450h. There was some inconvenience in adjusting my garage for a charger, but now it is the essence of convenience. I plug the car in the evening before then with the built in timer the car charges just before I need it in the morning. And I just took a short 1.5 mile round trip to the bank without worry of warming up the internal combustion engine. I like that.

The combination of the Plug in Prius and the RX450h seems pretty close to ideal to me.
Allannde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 05:40 AM   #640
raviola4
Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: de
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

getting decent numbers these days after that $&@?'n winter. Recent nearly 29 mpg local with minor highway driving. Winter drove those numbers down by 2-3 mpg or more. Trips still exceed 30 mpg, 32 or more if I go speed limit but as is normal, less the faster you go. Anxious ti finally get some retirement trips in over the next year to really take full advantage of the great 450 ride etc.
raviola4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 09:15 AM   #641
rc2010
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a 2010 Lexus RX450H. My total mileage is about 23K, the overall average MPG is 22.5 as of today. I tried to keep the meter stay in the green zone and have light foot on the gas pedal, but that does not seem to help. I think this is the worst among all RX450H driver. FYI, I live in San Francisco and have 6.5 miles single trip from home to work. I only own this car, so it is my daily commuter. Does anyone else have a worst RX450H MPG than mine? I recently had a trip to Reno, and it averaged 28 MPG for that trip only.
rc2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 09:57 AM   #642
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
 
kitlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,614
Thanked 72 Times in 62 Posts
Default

rc2010, what octane gas are you using? Is that with eco mode on or off? I only use Shell 93 octane and just switched eco mode back on after the temps finally warmed up. My average has since gone up to the mid 20s during my hilly six mile commute to work. I literally have to drive down one mountain and up another. I won't even tell you what the past winter mileage was Hint, it was worse than yours. Still I've managed 26 MPG overall with less than 32K miles.

One thing I've done on the way home is to detour off the final hill to a flatter road with a slight decline. It's added a mile to the overall commute. And I still have to go over a hill. But I can more easily keep it in the green since the speed limit is lower. It's made a bit of a difference.
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 11:19 AM   #643
Cruiter
Moderator
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I went to Milledgeville on Saturday, mostly state highways with maximum speeds at 65mph. About 130 miles each way and set cruise at speed limit when possible. It appears the summer blends are back . Below are a couple of snaps from the same tank and over the last couple of years average. I can handle those MPG's .
Attached Thumbnails
whats your mpg on RX450h?-20140512_085612.jpg   whats your mpg on RX450h?-20140512_085622.jpg  
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 10:35 AM   #644
rc2010
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had tried Octane 91 in the past, and did not see any drastic improvement of MPG. At that time, it was still showing "MPG after refueling" around 22-23 MPG. Nowadays, I use Octane 89 most of the time and occasionally fill up with Octane 91. I also turned on "eco" mode about a year ago, and that did not seem to help too much. I do think it may be due to my car. As you can tell, even if I go extreme long distance like from San Francisco to Reno, I can only achieve about 28-29 MPG, as opposes to 30-31 MPG most other claim while doing long distance drive. FYI, I live in Sunset district and commute to work on Geary Blvd, so it is not that much hills.
rc2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 06:32 AM   #645
Artichoke1
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SC
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm curious, has anyone attempted to average the numbers on this thread to determine whether the 450h gets the advertised mileage? My dealer says he often gets complaints from people that aren't getting what they expected.
Artichoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mileage per full tank Lexus GS3 GS F (2016-present) 10 01-13-18 10:38 AM
4RX Mileage Thread ccb777 RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) 194 01-08-18 10:22 PM
Do Northerners insulate their engines? riredale Car Chat 15 12-06-17 06:21 PM
25MPG for 2013 hybrid zmwu ES - 6th Gen (2013-present) 14 05-05-17 08:20 AM
2006 GS 430 Gas Mileage Improvements Dean2 GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) 5 01-06-17 09:55 AM


Tags
0w20w , 1999 , 2010 , 250h , 450h , actual , chart , clunker , cold , conditions , consumption , energy , forum , fuel , gas , hybrid , lexus , lx450 , mileage , monitor , mpg , oil , powered , rating , real , reduced , road , rx , rx450 , rx450h , tank , texas , turn , users , vbulletin , weather , whats , world

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: