Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 08:02 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I PM'd him my email and pretty sure he did send me the spread sheet but my search during the date of and after I pm'd him didn't produce anything. If I find it, I'll PM you. Or you can PM him for it.
Originally Posted by bunka
I have those details (service, maintenance, etc) on our 123K mile Toyota Highlander Hybrid equivalent to the 450h but it's not in a spreadsheet...yet. It would be interesting seeing his spreadsheet. Did you get a copy?
Old 10-06-14, 04:38 AM
brwilli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 RX450h overall mileage

Haven't followed this thread for awhile, but thought I'd post my overall mileage from new. Car has over 45,000 miles, and the average since new is 26.4

Not bad
Old 10-13-14, 03:49 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Not much difference here. 'Just had my 20K service. Cumulative is 26.9 MPG. '13 450h is now one year old this month. My driving style doesn't result in tickets; however I'm neither the last away from the light, nor am I the slowest in the Fast Lane on the highway. I live on a lake in Michigan, where it's 5 miles of 25~40 MPH to the nearest Village, and then 15 minutes to anything else at City/Highway speeds. We took a few long trips (I'm Retired); and/but stayed at home in Michigan for what was, for me, the worst/coldest winter in memory. Bridgestone 19" tires show 7/32" remaining. I changed oil and rotated tires at 5K intervals. Heading to Cape Cod via Niagra Falls this month, so I'll get a chance to verify that I can't achieve the EPA's 28 MPG on the highway (more like 25 MPG at my usual pace) - however I mitigate that by closely following City Speed Limits.

Like the McDonalds saying: I'm Lovin' It

OK, the 2,250 mile trek to the Cape netted 28.0 MPG - only I was doing the Mobile Economy Run thru Canada (their 100KM/Hr is about 63 MPH); and (this time) I stayed pretty close to the speed limits - and used the Economy setting. Of course, A/C was unnecessary.

Last edited by NateJG; 11-08-14 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Trip report
Old 10-13-14, 05:06 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2010 450h mpg

Average since new 28.2 mpg so can't complain. Most trips over 30-32 mpg, with more local varying in 28-30 range. 28.2 probably a result of,lower mpg during winter months mixed in which knocks off a good 2 mpg.
Old 11-08-14, 07:45 AM
Pentiger
Driver School Candidate

Just filled up my "new-to-me" 2010 RXh, and got 27.5 mpg. Picked it up in Mobile Thursday afternoon, drove to Biloxi on I10, then back to Pensacola, so it was essentially all highway, at 70 -75 mph.
Old 11-08-14, 04:25 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Default Is that mileage by way of Economy, Normal, or Sport?

Originally Posted by Cruiter
This is pretty typical of my routine trips to Milledgeville in the summer. The summer blends and warm temps for the traction battery make it about 2 to 2.5 mpg better than same driving conditions in the winter. ODO 'A' mileage is from fill up, gauge is from fill up (early in the morning).
I just passed the one year, 22,222 mile milestone - with the cumulative mileage at 27.1 MPG.

That was avoiding the use of both Economy as well as Sport settings.

My question to the Experts here is twofold:

1) Does the EPA test/evaluate cars for establishing the MPG settings using the "normal" or default settings for cars (especially with respect to the 450h)?, and

2) Do you (and especially Cruiter) report your mileage here using the normal or the Economy setting?
Old 11-10-14, 09:39 PM
PKsCar
Driver School Candidate

Default 22.8 on first tank

I just purchased a 2010 RX 450H from a young lady who had if for a couple of years (she's the 2nd owner- 73K.) When showing me the vehicle she had no idea what ECO mode was. She had been driving it for 2 years without ever switching it over to ECO mode once. Her lifetime MPG was 24 MPG. So far on my first tank of gas I got just 22.8 purely on ECO mode. Now I did open it up once or twice, but 60% of the mileage was highway stop and go driving. So...now that I have the car in ECO mode (presumably for the first time in two years), will my performance improve? I was shocked to see such a low number on my first tank. Could flooring it just a few times in one tank (It's a my new car, you gotta floor it) really hurt your overall mileage that drastically? Thanks
Old 11-11-14, 06:20 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Our 3 day old 2015 is showing 26.7 average after it's first fill up with 156 miles now on the odometer.
Old 11-11-14, 08:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PKsCar
I just purchased a 2010 RX 450H from a young lady who had if for a couple of years (she's the 2nd owner- 73K.) When showing me the vehicle she had no idea what ECO mode was. She had been driving it for 2 years without ever switching it over to ECO mode once. Her lifetime MPG was 24 MPG. So far on my first tank of gas I got just 22.8 purely on ECO mode. Now I did open it up once or twice, but 60% of the mileage was highway stop and go driving. So...now that I have the car in ECO mode (presumably for the first time in two years), will my performance improve? I was shocked to see such a low number on my first tank. Could flooring it just a few times in one tank (It's a my new car, you gotta floor it) really hurt your overall mileage that drastically? Thanks
PKscar, welcome to CL. Congrats on your 450h. It's hard to say why the mileage decreased. The key is to keep it in the green zones, especially in the first green zone above blue. Maybe try experimenting with eco mode on for a few tanks, paying attention to the green zones, then turn eco off for a few tanks and see what you get. And remember, mileage is only one benefit of driving the 450h. Good luck.
Old 11-11-14, 08:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
Our 3 day old 2015 is showing 26.7 average after it's first fill up with 156 miles now on the odometer.
Is that the best you could do

It'll only increase over time so go out there and drive some more.
Old 11-11-14, 09:59 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 3,000 miles on my 2015 now and been averaging around 24.5 MPG. Wish it was more, but oh well. Yes, I know the engine needs to warm up and all the extra stuff that comes with owning/driving a hybrid. We also have a 2011 Camry hybrid and it gets about 5 MPG less than advertised too, so I expected not to get 29 in the RX. The camry does much better at higher speeds than the RX does (yes, the RX is a much bigger beast than the camry). On a recent road trip at 75 MPH, the RX is lucky to get 20 MPG.
I'm not sure where the sweet spot is, but I'm definitely not going to go 55-60 MPH when the speed limit is 75.
I've tried ECO mode and it doesn't make a difference on MPG (with my driving style).
Old 11-11-14, 06:22 PM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Is that the best you could do

It'll only increase over time so go out there and drive some more.
We are completely happy with the mileage so far. I'm sure if we would have got the RX350 like we initially planned, it would be sitting around 17 or 18 mpg right now. We LOVE this thing, the more we drive it, the more we appreciate it!
Old 11-17-14, 05:05 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
We are completely happy with the mileage so far. I'm sure if we would have got the RX350 like we initially planned, it would be sitting around 17 or 18 mpg right now. We LOVE this thing, the more we drive it, the more we appreciate it!
One quick question. I have had several hybrids. Camry,Prius and KIA. Except for the Prius they all had that start hesitation. I did not enjoy that aspect at all. How is the new 450 H. Any hesitation on take off.
Old 11-17-14, 05:24 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Mine reminds me of a combination of boat and 1960's Chevrolet Powerglide when starting off. Neither snapped my neck from the start; however, a blink or two later I notice that I'm going pretty fast. I think the strangest thing to become accostomed to is the lack of a locked torque converter.

If other owners are like me, they've discovered that it is easy to stay ahead of virtually anything from a stoplight without even trying; and staying out of trouble on the freeway is a breeze.

I dropped my 450h off at the Lansing dealership on my way to the DetRiot Auto Show last winter; and had a chance to test the RX350 loaner. I was pleasantly surprised that I prefered the shift and response of my 450 to that of the 350!

Coming from (retiring, actually) a transmission manufacturer, I fought my wife's push to buy a Prius because of bias/prejudice AGAINST CVT transmissions (due to torque/life limitations); and it wasn't until I did extensive research into the technically-in accurately-named CVT of the Prius that I realized that it (Prius') transmission was really a one-speed gearbox with an electric generator "clutch" and motor-augmented driveshaft.

I then bought the "Prius On Steriods" RX450h.

As an aside, I just reached the one-year anniversary of "Alexis", wherein she now has 22,000 miles. Her overall MPG is 27.1; and she performed excellently during last winter's snows and extreme cold. Snow-Mode traction is stellar.

I particularly like how she performs quietly and smoothly immediately after cold starts - notably more quietly-relaxed than any of my previous cars (which always seemed to delay shifts as the engine/catalytic converter heats up).

We just returned from a 28.0 MPG 10-day trip to Cape Cod.

Like they say about McDonalds: I'm Lovin' It!
Old 11-18-14, 09:00 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by markneups
One quick question. I have had several hybrids. Camry,Prius and KIA. Except for the Prius they all had that start hesitation. I did not enjoy that aspect at all. How is the new 450 H. Any hesitation on take off.
To be honest, we still have less than 400 miles on ours and it is our first hybrid. But I have noticed a very slight shudder on take off when in "eco" mode. In sport mode, it moves right out without hesitation. Again, the shudder in eco mode is very slight, nothing to get concerned about, although I am going to ask the dealer about it. My wife doesn't even notice it, but I have worked on cars my entire life and notice things most people wouldn't.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?