GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

EZ Pass Mounting Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 05:38 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Pass Mounting Question

My state (WV) just doubled the toll road fees but they have a great deal on three years of EZ Pass. So I ordered one but can’t figure out where to mount it. The instructions say Location A is 1/2 inch down from the top of the windshield behind the mirror post. My 2013 does not really have a mirror post, the mount is flush with the windshield. Alternate location B is 1/2 down and up to 2” to the right of the post but we have some other sensor there. Plus it cautions against mounting in a tinted area and we have that “pebbled” area that I assume is an integrated antenna. Surely someone out there uses something similar and can steer me in the right direction. A photo would be super, I tried to upload one from my IPad but failed. The toll is 4 bucks a booth and I have three booths each way ... $24 a trip ... but I got three full years for $37.00. I would really like to use this thing since I already bought it and registered it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Old 01-15-19, 06:28 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Put it wherever you want. Worse case scenario, it doesn't work, they snap a picture of your tags. Then they go into the system, see that you have an EZ Pass and bill your account thinking you have a faulty EZ Pass.

Mine is on the passenger side of the car up on the tint strip where it meets the headliner, where the mirror kinda blocks my view of it from the drivers seat. Had it there since Day 1 with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
Herd72 (01-16-19)
Old 01-15-19, 06:50 PM
mgs1995
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is to the left of the mirror post below the dark strip on the windshield. It's positioned so that it is just hidden from my view by the left half of the mirror. It seems to work fine there.
Herd72 (01-16-19)
Old 01-15-19, 07:50 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I velcro my Fastrak on the lower left windshield corner about 3” from the dashboard.
Herd72 (01-16-19)
Old 01-15-19, 09:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 819 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Herd72
My state (WV) just doubled the toll road fees but they have a great deal on three years of EZ Pass. So I ordered one but can’t figure out where to mount it. The instructions say Location A is 1/2 inch down from the top of the windshield behind the mirror post. My 2013 does not really have a mirror post, the mount is flush with the windshield. Alternate location B is 1/2 down and up to 2” to the right of the post but we have some other sensor there. Plus it cautions against mounting in a tinted area and we have that “pebbled” area that I assume is an integrated antenna. Surely someone out there uses something similar and can steer me in the right direction. A photo would be super, I tried to upload one from my IPad but failed. The toll is 4 bucks a booth and I have three booths each way ... $24 a trip ... but I got three full years for $37.00. I would really like to use this thing since I already bought it and registered it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
So Herd72 is still alive and hopefully well, HaHa, It has been awhile since I have heard from you. How is your 2013 GX holding up?
In Georgia I have what is called a “Peach Pass” that was used for a toll road that now is no longer there, this is now used for the fast lane and I had the RFID sticker on my MDX and no longer have it. Cameras read the tag so it is not needed. I did get a membership to a car wash that required an RFID sticker that I requested to be on the sunroof, but they thought that would be a problem with the scanner.
I say forget the sticker or put it on the sunroof if needed as the scanners are overhead.
Herd72 (01-16-19)
Old 01-16-19, 05:21 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Yep, still here! My GX is just doing what GX’s do ...l giving me zero problems and making driving safe and comfortable.
my transponder is not a sticker though. It is a white, plastic box about 2” by 3 1/2” by 1/2 “. That’s why I am having trouble with the location. My new plan is to look for other GX’s and peer into their windshield until I see one mounted. Then follow them through the toll areas and if they successfully navigate the EZ Pass lanes, I will know where to mount mine! LOL ��
Old 01-16-19, 07:57 AM
krg813
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the SunPass in FL, and the device sounds similar to your EZ Pass. I have mine mounted on the passenger side behind the rearview and it works fine. Also a bonus because the mirror obscures the ugly box from my position in the drivers seat.

Herd72 (01-16-19)
Old 01-16-19, 12:11 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

I drive through a toll bridge every morning. I don't like any of the mounting ideas, even the ones that you can't visibly see from the driver seat. I can still see the device when walking up to the vehicle. I keep the toll device in the cubby hole underneath the radio and manually place it on my dash every time I cross the toll. Worst case scenario, they bill/charge me by plate if I forget. Though it is mandated that here in CA you can be ticketed if caught without the toll device while crossing.
Old 01-16-19, 12:19 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mgs1995
Mine is to the left of the mirror post below the dark strip on the windshield. It's positioned so that it is just hidden from my view by the left half of the mirror. It seems to work fine there.
same here and it works great!
Old 01-16-19, 02:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,572 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Not pretty but this is where mine is behind the rearview mirror and under the mounts for mirror and rain detector sensor. I can't really see it while I am driving. They could run the license plate but that doesn't work for free HOV access.

Old 01-16-19, 06:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 819 Likes on 569 Posts

Why did they choose to make these devices white with obnoxious stickers
Acrad, you have the invisacord for your dash camera that is posted here and still need that wire cover? Quite a cluster you have there ;-)

Old 01-17-19, 05:29 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,572 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Yeah... I'm more of a function over form kinda of guy overall. :-) I should be using smaller wire loom.... I put it on everything of course used to soldering, heat shrink and throwing on wire loom when I can. From the drivers seat all I see is my dashcam with a little bit of power wire sticking out to the side. The clutter shown in pics isn't apparent to the driver. I loomed it because I didn't like the raw wires coming out of the mirror and a short piece of wire loom I didn't think would look good. Come to think of it I should just heat shrink the wires where they terminate at the mirror. That might work for me.
Old 01-17-19, 05:43 AM
like2detai
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put mine in a black neoprene beer coozie and lay it on the dash when I'm using toll roads and have never had an issue. I also hate the ugly white box hanging on the windshield.
Old 01-17-19, 08:36 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Herd72, you should check out this thread, even though the OP has an LS, his concerns were the same as yours.

He mounted his EZ-Pass on the pebble dots with no issues reported...

(Image belongs to OP from the LS thread)

Good luck.
Old 01-17-19, 04:45 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX469
Herd72, you should check out this thread, even though the OP has an LS, his concerns were the same as yours.

He mounted his EZ-Pass on the pebble dots with no issues reported...

(Image belongs to OP from the LS thread)

Good luck.
Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Quick Reply: EZ Pass Mounting Question