GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Quick question:rear headlight autoleveling sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 04:03 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick question:rear headlight autoleveling sensor

Hello everyone!

Please pardon for creating a double thread! (I have already asked this in the Suspension area, but I guess I would get more input in the main formum)

I'm trying to remove the headlight auto leveling sensor from the rear.
But I cannot seem to reach for the connector.
On the sewell-lexus page I found a following scheme:
Name:  autolevel.jpg
Views: 3821
Size:  47.5 KB

I think I can reach for the area circled in red but the connector is further to the rear of the car.

Has anyone ever removed theirs and can help me out on how to do this?

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 10-05-10, 09:42 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by airestonia
Hello everyone!

Please pardon for creating a double thread! (I have already asked this in the Suspension area, but I guess I would get more input in the main formum)

I'm trying to remove the headlight auto leveling sensor from the rear.
But I cannot seem to reach for the connector.
On the sewell-lexus page I found a following scheme:

I think I can reach for the area circled in red but the connector is further to the rear of the car.

Has anyone ever removed theirs and can help me out on how to do this?

Thank you very much in advance!
If im not mistaken that connector is not hard to get to it should be right around or over the rear diff carrier.
Old 10-05-10, 10:38 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spyder78
If im not mistaken that connector is not hard to get to it should be right around or over the rear diff carrier.
Thank you for your input! But the connector is now quite there. It's strange that it isn't written in the manual, but the connector is actually in the trunk.
We followed the wire to the trunk and disconnected it there.
Here is the picture of the sensor taken out, the clear part has been in the trunk (well naturally )
Name:  autoleveling_sensor_2.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  177.3 KB

Here is a close-up shot of the other side of the sensor.
Name:  autoleveling_sensor.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  122.1 KB

It's strange that the connector only had three wires but the wire near the sensor has four, the one that was missing (white) on the other side is torn apart.
Well the part circled in red with arrows needs to rotate pretty freely. I have tried to rotate the sensor in the front when the little ball joint thing has been taken out and it moves with little pressure, very freely, I guess as supposed to from factory.

But the rear one is corroded and moves with pliers and under huge pressure only. I guess that's why the metal bracket broke in the first place.

Well it turns out I cannot seem to understand how to take this sensor apart, do you have any ideas? Maybe it was made sealed and is meant to be changed not repaired. Even if that's the case I'll give it a try and make it open
Old 10-05-10, 11:10 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are most likely made to be replaced not repaired. The electronics would be sealed and potted. But that is not a commonly replaced item. Good luck on getting it fixed. Let us know.
Old 10-05-10, 12:24 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAT!?!? What is this rear headlight auto-leveling sensor?!!? WHAT DOES IT DO EXACTLY?
Old 10-05-10, 10:31 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
WHAT!?!? What is this rear headlight auto-leveling sensor?!!? WHAT DOES IT DO EXACTLY?
if u dont have OEM HID's dont worry bout it as NON OEM HID equipped cars dont have it....

other wise it essentially levels the headlights depending on the weight in the car....
Old 10-06-10, 05:01 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I always assumed that the auto levelling controls were around the headlamps. Do the Euro models have the manual override headlamp level scroll on the dash?
Old 10-06-10, 05:05 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLK13X
I always assumed that the auto levelling controls were around the headlamps. Do the Euro models have the manual override headlamp level scroll on the dash?
No we don't! But I can only speak for the xenon headlamps equipped GS's.

By the way, I have managed to open up the sensor and found out what the problem was.
I will upload the pics shortly after.
Old 10-06-10, 05:31 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLK13X
The non HID models have the manual override, but not the HID equipped cars.
Old 10-06-10, 05:46 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

So here goes, ladies and gents I give you:
Opened up sensor

I was really stupid and not thinking clear this morning when I came to a conclusion that the only option for me is to splice it in two with a kitchen knife. When I was almost done and after having a cup of coffee I understood that the upper part of the sensor is detachable

Well inside we see this:
Name:  autoleveling_sensor_3.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  44.3 KB

The area in red is the connectors that are completely corroded I would have to replace them with new ones and solder them both to the wires and the scheme itself.
Name:  autoleveling_sensor_5.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  89.9 KB

Here is the moving part taken out, I have broken tabs that were holding the thing inside, but that's not a biggie. Basically the moving part moves from side to side just a little, closing either on or another circuit, hence sending different voltage reading to the headlight related ECU. I found all of that out from the manual.
Name:  autoleveling_sensor_6.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  105.8 KB

Well that's it, I think that's the first ever picture (or not) on the internet of the Lexus GS headlight height sensor taken apart.
Old 10-06-10, 07:06 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Good info!!

Just a question, why did you check the sensor in the first place? Because of the noise of the broken bracket? Or did the HID level warning light come on?
Old 10-06-10, 08:35 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YviE
Good info!!

Just a question, why did you check the sensor in the first place? Because of the noise of the broken bracket? Or did the HID level warning light come on?
Well it all started when I have noticed that the sensor bracket is broken, there were no squeaking or anything, xenon has been leveled well and there was no malfunction sign on the dash.
But I still decided to fix it, well you know the rest

There is a front driver side headlight autoleveling sensor as well and the two bushings metal thing attached to it has been squeaking very bad but that's now fixed and all is well.

Nonetheless I highly recommend checking on these sensors before you got out buying bushings, balljoints and what not in attempts to find what went bad and is causing some noise
Old 09-22-13, 07:26 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Not to bump an old thread maybe you still have the car but did yours make any clicking or squealing noises? Because that's what I'm experiencing now
Old 09-30-15, 10:22 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by airestonia
Well it all started when I have noticed that the sensor bracket is broken, there were no squeaking or anything, xenon has been leveled well and there was no malfunction sign on the dash.
But I still decided to fix it, well you know the rest

There is a front driver side headlight autoleveling sensor as well and the two bushings metal thing attached to it has been squeaking very bad but that's now fixed and all is well.

Nonetheless I highly recommend checking on these sensors before you got out buying bushings, balljoints and what not in attempts to find what went bad and is causing some noise
Going to bump your old post here and ask, do you know the part number on that level sensor in the front?
Old 10-02-15, 10:03 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Sorry buddy, but I don't. At the time I didn't buy a new one, but had it repaired.