GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

New Battery Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 09:39 AM
TexasGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Battery Inquiry

Morning Gang -it's time for me to change my battery on my GS-F, and have a few questions that I hope someone here can answer/provide insight.

I did a quick search online, and noticed the "OEM" battery goes anywhere from $500-$800....however, when I go to local auto stores like Autozone or O'Reillys, the recommended batteries range from $150 - $200 (see links below for reference).

OEM Replacement Battery: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-le...batteries.html

O'Reilly Auto Parts: https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/b...016/lexus/gs-f

Do the O'Reilly batteries options meet specs for the GSF? Where do you buy your battery replacements, and what are the specific model/type/specs that you look for?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by TexasGSF; 12-15-19 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-15-19, 10:27 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If it fits your car, but the regular battery
Old 12-15-19, 11:58 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,298 Posts

My choice is ALWAYS an AGM battery.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/blog/ag...8aAqRHEALw_wcB

An RCF thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...estions-3.html

Lou

Old 12-16-19, 11:19 AM
Inertia
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Kind of on this topic; has anyone bought the RR racing lithium light weight race battery? I have a feeling its not an AGM battery? Anyone who bought this battery...did you buy the battery charger (5 amp charger), what's the purpose of this...is this like a trickle charger if you aren't using the battery?
https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...rcflbat001.htm

How does the RR Racing battery compare to the AGM battery? There is a huge weight savings and the price would be the same as an AGM battery.
Old 12-16-19, 08:21 PM
johnnyb58
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im actually in the same boat. Im looking at the AGM options and came across this:

https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platin...%205.0L%20DOHC

Will probably pick this up after the holiday.
Old 12-16-19, 09:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,298 Posts

^^^^If a Group 24 is the right size, that's a great choice. I had one in my ISF when I sold it last July. I saw my old car at a Lexus meet two weeks ago, the battery was sill going strong - Going on 4½ years in Arizona.

Lou

Old 12-18-19, 09:54 AM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that battery. Much smaller and lighter. The charger is a battery tender to maintain your battery at peak performance. If you do not drive the car frequently you just put the charger on and it will maintain the battery and its charge.
Old 09-11-20, 02:43 PM
mercsmoker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reviving old thread

My battery got weakened with parked in garage for weeeks since covid lockdown.
I am jump starting it everytime i have to drive.
I asked dealer if any option of prorated discount on new battery (given its less than 4 yr old model and with CPO / extended warranty). They wanted me to bring in vehicle and talk to service rep for options.
i looked up sams but they have only 24F (82$) and told me that 24 is not carried by them.

Costco cannot confirmed that if they carry 24group, however oriley shows group35 as correct size.

Can anyone recommend what is correct group size for this vehicle? I can get 24 bat from autozone (140$) or if amg 24 works, then can get a bosch for about 160$.

please share.
Old 09-11-20, 04:53 PM
urk
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I will actually soon be in the process of changing my battery as preventative maintenance. The battery hasn’t started showing signs of going bad but, just wanted to upgrade to an AGM battery.

I was planning on going with the Duracell Platinum AGM battery Group size 34 (Item 135984) that Sams club carries via there website. The battery is actually a group size 24/34 and should fit almost perfect. I currently run this style battery on my drift car and it is still going strong after 4 years.

I do plan on using the Figs Engineering battery tie down with the J-bolt option.

https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/CNC_BATB...0tie%20down%20

Maybe someone who has installed an AGM battery can confirm.
Old 11-28-20, 08:32 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by urk
I will actually soon be in the process of changing my battery as preventative maintenance. The battery hasn’t started showing signs of going bad but, just wanted to upgrade to an AGM battery.

I was planning on going with the Duracell Platinum AGM battery Group size 34 (Item 135984) that Sams club carries via there website. The battery is actually a group size 24/34 and should fit almost perfect. I currently run this style battery on my drift car and it is still going strong after 4 years.

I do plan on using the Figs Engineering battery tie down with the J-bolt option.

https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/CNC_BATB...0tie%20down%20

Maybe someone who has installed an AGM battery can confirm.
Following up to see how the battery fit was and overall thoughts? My car was dead today after sitting for 5 days so I’m guessing it’s time to swap.
Old 11-28-20, 11:15 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Odyssey Batteries are the way togo
Old 12-01-20, 05:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

The GS F will get the 30Ah Antigravity Group 24 LiFePo4 battery when it is due again. I've been running the 51R 24Ah in my IS F and it works flawlessly, but the Group 24 is a closer fit. They weigh practically nothing. The 51R tipped my scale at 9 1/4 lbs (4.19 kg) and spins over a 2UR-GSE like no lead acid battery could. You just missed a 15% off sale too. Black Friday through Cyber Monday all their batteries were 15% off. I bought a Group 24 so I can put it in the IS and I'll put the 51R in my Supra. The battery in the GS F is only a year old, so no need to put a 10 year battery in it right now unless the one in there cracks and leaks hydrogen like the one in my IS F did. Ruined a perfectly good terminal too. That's pretty unlikely with a LiFePo4 battery.

The following users liked this post:
DJFrakis (12-03-20)
Old 12-02-20, 05:20 PM
urk
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
Odyssey Batteries are the way togo
Sorry for the late reply. I purchased the AGM battery and FIGs engineering bracket but, just haven't got around to replacing it yet. Since my current battery is still performing great I haven't been in a rush.
Old 12-05-20, 08:28 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Just FYI for others that read this. OP mentioned that an OEM battery was $500-$800. I started looking at other options after reading that because of the price and because I wanted an AGM battery. Long story short, I couldn’t find a replacement battery that was a perfect fit to keep the casing around the battery.

I called Lexus because I needed to do any oil change and 30,000 mile check up and just asked for a quote for a battery and they quoted me $203 after tax and install. Not an AGM obviously. Then they had another $33 off for some type of online promo and ended up paying $170 out the door. I just went with that so it was a good fit and was tired of researching battery sizes and what was best.

Anyway, just wanted to let others know that the OEM’s aren’t that much if you want to keep it simple.
Old 12-05-20, 08:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Antigravity Group 24 at 30 Ah showed up today. Perfect fit and much lighter than any lead/acid battery. AFA OEM battery - you can't get the OEM battery in the US. The OEM battery is a Panasonic and finding one is next to impossible, I have tried in the past because they've been really solid IME. I paid $750 for the Antigravity battery with a CTEK charger using the Black Friday discount, and it outperforms any battery I have ever purchased by a long shot. Life expectancy is 10 years, so longer than most people keep their cars. It can never spill acid in your car. The terminals won't crack and release hydrogen to corrode your battery terminals. If it ever drops below normal voltage, it disconnects the internal cells until you invoke the restart feature to start the car and start charging again. Best of all, it's a super quick way to lose 30 pounds off the car's weight. Sure, it's not cheap for the initial outlay, but the value proposition is unbeatable. Weights below in pounds and kg as received from Antigravity.

Oh, bonus - they send you a Bluetooth battery monitor to connect to their app on your phone and monitor battery charge, starting voltage, and charging system operation. Buying this by itself is $35, but they send it with every battery they sell too.

The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
DavidL (12-05-20), Lurker9 (12-05-20), soepyanf (10-02-22), TARS (12-13-20)