GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Dash Camera Placement - Blocking Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 12:18 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Dash Camera Placement - Blocking Key Fob

Has anyone installed a Dash Cam on their GS F? If so where did you mount it? Did it impact GPS/Key Fob range? I'm going to be relocating mine.

I tested installing it directly onto the plastic cover for the electronics in front of the rear view mirror instead of directly on the windshield. It had a huge impact to the key fob range to the point where I couldn't unlock the car unless I was standing 5 feet from the car and sometimes I couldn't lock the car using the door handles without attempting multiple times.
Old 08-27-18, 08:43 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

That's a great question. I'm about to install mine and need to hard wire it too as the 4GS lighter charger is further away from the front console as opposed to the 3GS
Old 08-27-18, 09:31 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jonez
Has anyone installed a Dash Cam on their GS F? If so where did you mount it? Did it impact GPS/Key Fob range? I'm going to be relocating mine.

I tested installing it directly onto the plastic cover for the electronics in front of the rear view mirror instead of directly on the windshield. It had a huge impact to the key fob range to the point where I couldn't unlock the car unless I was standing 5 feet from the car and sometimes I couldn't lock the car using the door handles without attempting multiple times.
Mine is mounted there and I'm not experiencing any issues with the fob. I've been thinking about getting a blendmount for my blackvue so I don't have to use any adhesive on the front. I have a 18 4GS but should really be any different from the GSF, also what dashcam are you using?
Old 08-27-18, 11:14 PM
Amazon
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

No issue with my blackvue and blendmount.
Old 08-28-18, 01:53 AM
LED190E
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Same here, I have no issues with my blackvue mounted under the mirror cover. Mine was hardwired in the left side of the dash and also using a PowerMagic Pro for continuous (and power regulated) video when the car is off
Old 08-28-18, 03:16 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

That's odd. I don't recall any of the key signal receivers being up behind the rear view mirror.
Old 08-28-18, 12:24 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll do some more testing and place it elsewhere. I have a service appointment tomorrow so I'll talk to the guys at the dealership and see what they think.
Old 08-28-18, 03:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The radio for the key is located behind the driver's side front fender. The issue you are having is very odd. What are you using for a power source? It may be that the device is generating some digital noise affecting the radio through the power wiring, and if so, your unit may be defective.
Old 08-28-18, 06:31 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The radio for the key is located behind the driver's side front fender. The issue you are having is very odd. What are you using for a power source? It may be that the device is generating some digital noise affecting the radio through the power wiring, and if so, your unit may be defective.
Thanks for confirming the location of the radio for the wireless key. I have the SG9633DC with the hard wiring kit for park mode. All wires that connect the front unit to power and front unit to the rear unit run entirely through the passenger side of the vehicle, nothing on the driver side. The active power is tapped into the 20A windshield washer fuse (WASH) and the low power park mode, which is causing the issue, is tapped into the passenger seat 30A fuse (P/SEAT 1 F/R)

I did some testing today which gave some pretty interesting results:
Full system plugged in but not mounted to center windshield console - wireless key impacted - mount location removed as possible issue
Unplugged full system - wireless key resumes to normal functionality
Plugged full system back in - wireless key impacted again
Unplugged only rear camera - wireless key resumes to normal functionality
Plugged rear camera back in - wireless key impacted again

So this is somehow related to the rear camera, which is plugged directly into the front camera. When the car is off, the cameras are in low power mode and connected to the 30A passenger seat fuse.
Old 09-14-18, 12:44 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

So here's an update:

The problem is with the rear dash camera placement. The higher up on the rear window the camera is placed, the more significant the impact is to the key fob reception. The lower the camera is placed, the less the impact, however even at the bottom of the window there's still a slight impact to key fob range.

I've opened a ticket with Street Guardian and they've acknowledged that a few other people are having a similar problem with either key fob or radio signal. They suspect it's the placement of certain electronics or antennas for reception in the rear of the car.
Old 09-14-18, 02:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The rear camera is wired to the front camera or it sends an RF signal to the front camera for recording? It seems very odd if it is wired, as wires generally get around interference issues.
Old 09-14-18, 06:36 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

So here's an update:

The problem is with the rear dash camera placement. The higher up on the rear window the camera is placed, the more significant the impact is to the key fob reception. The lower the camera is placed, the less the impact, however even at the bottom of the window there's still a slight impact to key fob range.

I've opened a ticket with Street Guardian and they've acknowledged that a few other people are having a similar problem with either key fob or radio signal. They suspect it's the placement of certain electronics or antennas for reception in the rear of the car.
Check out post #17. I have BlackVue with no issues. You can see where I mounted mine

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ake-2-a-2.html
Old 09-15-18, 03:56 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The rear camera is wired to the front camera or it sends an RF signal to the front camera for recording? It seems very odd if it is wired, as wires generally get around interference issues.
it’s a wired rear camera that is powered by the front camera, street guardian team is out of ideas and suggested waiting for a rear external camera, which isn’t very helpful to my problem
Old 09-15-18, 03:58 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by biggame
Check out post #17. I have BlackVue with no issues. You can see where I mounted mine

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ake-2-a-2.html
thanks, that’s exactly where I installed mine originally. I may have to switch to a different rear camera

by the way love your YouTube videos, would love to see some more videos from inside the cabin