GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Slight jolt during final downshift while braking normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 09:22 PM
916gs400
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Slight jolt during final downshift while braking normal?

so driven about 1k miles on car now and I have been noticing that as you are cruising in 8th gear and during normal braking (I know the tranny downshifts) there is a slight jolt at around 18-17 mph. Its the 5th to 3rd gear downshift. It’s not neck breaking but you do feel it and its getting annoying. Only does it after you pass 45+mph and in 8th gear. I drove the car under 40mph and it brakes and downshifts smoothly to stop. Is this normal? Before I go to the dealership and get quoted “this is normal” or “we can replicate the action”. Or can I get the transmission shift points reprogrammed. Im starting to miss my ISF. The fun factor and drive train smoothness are way better.
Old 07-16-18, 09:50 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, I occasionally experience the same thing, but I'm not sure what gear it's in when it happens. However, I do know it's the final downshift just before stopping. It happens at about the same speed as yours. It's not my imagination!! I'm wondering if the transmission can be reprogrammed too. I have 11,900 miles.
Old 07-18-18, 03:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by 916gs400
so driven about 1k miles on car now and I have been noticing that as you are cruising in 8th gear and during normal braking (I know the tranny downshifts) there is a slight jolt at around 18-17 mph. Its the 5th to 3rd gear downshift. It’s not neck breaking but you do feel it and its getting annoying. Only does it after you pass 45+mph and in 8th gear. I drove the car under 40mph and it brakes and downshifts smoothly to stop. Is this normal? Before I go to the dealership and get quoted “this is normal” or “we can replicate the action”. Or can I get the transmission shift points reprogrammed. Im starting to miss my ISF. The fun factor and drive train smoothness are way better.
My IS F is still more fun to drive than the GS F. Lots more. And yes, the drivetrain in the IS is smoother for sure.
Old 07-19-18, 10:31 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I've noticed a slight jolt at times when downshifting which does not seem abnormal to me. But then again I'm used to a clunky,18 plate, dual clutch transmission that is the antithesis of smooth.

I certainly think the GSF is at least as fun, if not a bit more fun, than my old ISF so definitely a very subjective experience IMO.
The following users liked this post:
mr2dave (05-22-22)
Old 09-20-18, 06:59 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey 916gs400,
Did you ever get a resolution to your slight jolt issue? I took mine in today and will pick it up tomorrow. My service advisor called this evening to say It appears to be normal (just as you anticipated). However, he did not deny that it existed. He further stated that there were no available updates or reprogramming. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick it up.
Thanks,
Old 09-20-18, 10:34 PM
916gs400
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by anbark22
Hey 916gs400,
Did you ever get a resolution to your slight jolt issue? I took mine in today and will pick it up tomorrow. My service advisor called this evening to say It appears to be normal (just as you anticipated). However, he did not deny that it existed. He further stated that there were no available updates or reprogramming. I'll know more tomorrow when I pick it up.
Thanks,
unfortunately no fix. With no warning light or broken parts, dealership is not going to rip into transmission or replace it. What I discovered is that in sports + mode, I don’t experience it, maybe it’s because it only goes to 6 gears. So I’ve been just using sports + on streets and switch to normal mode for freeway. But keep me updated if you get a solution!
Old 05-21-22, 04:34 AM
Marwan1983
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortunately no fix. With no warning light or broken parts, dealership is not going to rip into transmission or replace it. What I discovered is that in sports + mode, I don’t experience it, maybe it’s because it only goes to 6 gears. So I’ve been just using sports + on streets and switch to normal mode for freeway. But keep me updated if you get a solution!
hey , experiencing the same with my 16GSF, has anyone fixed this ?
Old 05-21-22, 04:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

There is one thing to try that's not insanely expensive. Have the fluid level set to the correct amount of fluid. I've noticed all kinds of weird symptoms when the fluid level is low on both the GS F and the IS F that disappear when it is right.
Old 05-23-22, 11:15 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 450 Likes on 284 Posts

I experienced this as well, especially when the car is cold.
I would suspect a fluid replacement is due just to be sure.