GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

what is the best lexus gs 4th generation scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-21, 04:27 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default what is the best lexus gs 4th generation scan tool?

hi, all,can someone tell me what is the best lexus gs 4th generation scan tool?
Exept from the dealership software and hardware for diagnostic advanced what after market one you can reccomend?
Old 11-14-21, 06:23 PM
asciarra21
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest;[url=tel:11164031
11164031[/url]]hi, all,can someone tell me what is the best lexus gs 4th generation scan tool?
Exept from the dealership software and hardware for diagnostic advanced what after market one you can reccomend?
Hi there, I use the tech stream like the dealer does.
I bought it on eBay for like $50.
it’s basically an adapter that goes from the OBDII to your laptop usb.
You install the software it comes with and that’s it.

I was able to make different changes like turn on or off the DRL, and monitor the transmission temp while doing a level check.
And of course read and clear codes.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-21, 09:43 PM
bladest
Instructor

hi can you provide picture of your tool, and model exactly, also in order to use toyota lexus tech stream,dont you need subscription for their online service or something ? Can you clarify please?

Are you sure about your techscream i see on ebay prices range from 2000$ for used and up.....
i think you need some subscription.... at least some of them writes with 12month subscription.?

Last edited by bladest; 11-14-21 at 09:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jsch222 (11-15-21)
Old 11-15-21, 08:48 AM
6speediroc
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a Bluetooth reader with the Torque pro app on my phone:
Amazon Amazon

I also use the 'ebay' Techstream if I need to reprogram TPMS or see data the Torque Pro app can't get: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10745116

Old 11-15-21, 10:48 AM
asciarra21
Driver

Originally Posted by bladest
hi can you provide picture of your tool, and model exactly, also in order to use toyota lexus tech stream,dont you need subscription for their online service or something ? Can you clarify please?

Are you sure about your techscream i see on ebay prices range from 2000$ for used and up.....
i think you need some subscription.... at least some of them writes with 12month subscription.?
This runs on your laptop with the software provided and connects via the cable.
It is recommended to not update or connect online while using this tool.
For me it works perfect for what I need it for.

Last edited by asciarra21; 11-16-21 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-15-21, 01:51 PM
bladest
Instructor

is this chinese stuff , same level as dealer diagnostic for lexus gs 2014 year hybrid ?
Can it at least diagnose fully if the car engine , transmission or battery have some issues?
Full dealer scan diagnostic not repair of the error codes?
Old 11-15-21, 02:19 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

is this chinese stuff , same level as dealer diagnostic for lexus gs 2014 year hybrid ?
Can it at least diagnose fully if the car engine , transmission or battery have some issues?
It's the full dealer software(Toyota Techstream), no subscriptions. Most electronics or electrical components are made in China, like your cellphone, the OBDII to USB cable is no different. You can do all the same diagnostics the dealer can do. This was one of the first things I purchased when I bought my GS several years ago. I have a 2013 GS 450h.
The following users liked this post:
asciarra21 (11-15-21)
Old 11-15-21, 02:22 PM
asciarra21
Driver

It most likely is Chinese stuff.
But like I mentioned before, what I need it for it works just fine.
The absolute main reason I bought it for, was to monitor the transmission temp when I am adjusting the fluid level.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Also to Peasodos’ point, it is the same software that the dealer uses. But one will have to understand what they are looking at/for in order to fully utilize the equipment.

Last edited by asciarra21; 11-15-21 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 02:24 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by peasodos
It's the full dealer software(Toyota Techstream), no subscriptions. Most electronics or electrical components are made in China, like your cellphone, the OBDII to USB cable is no different. You can do all the same diagnostics the dealer can do. This was one of the first things I purchased when I bought my GS several years ago. I have a 2013 GS 450h.
So it can scan fully the car - the reason i am asking is since the nearest non dealership is in different country it will be much more convinient for me to have full dealer scan at decent price
can this tool have combined with dr prius or not?
Old 11-15-21, 02:26 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by asciarra21
It most likely is Chinese stuff.
But like I mentioned before, what I need it for it works just fine.
The absolute main reason I bought it for was to monitor the transmission temp when I am adjusting the level.
The other stuff it can do is just a bonus.
Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
The Cable is Chinese, the Software is the original Toyota Techstream. I bought the cable for about $20 and torrented the latest version of Techstream. The older versions are exactly the same, new one just adds compatibility for the latest years for Toyota/Scion/Lexus vehicles.
Old 11-15-21, 02:28 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

So it can scan fully the car - the reason i am asking is since the nearest non dealership is in different country it will be much more convinient for me to have full dealer scan at decent price
can this tool have combined with dr prius or not?
Yes. You don't need any Dr. Prius garbage Toyota Techstream does everything that can do, plus much more since it's the dealer diagnostic software.
Old 11-15-21, 02:29 PM
bladest
Instructor

The Cable is Chinese, the Software is the original Toyota Techstream. I bought the cable for about $20 and torrented the latest version of Techstream. The older versions are exactly the same, new one just adds compatibility for the latest years for Toyota/Scion/Lexus vehicles.
Is there specific version of the cable and firmware which i should look since in europe i found this cable with red marks?
Firmware V 2.0.4 is this good or too low?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/G9UAA...Gp/s-l1600.png cable look like that.

Is there a option to see how much life left on the hybrid battery / or cells life or something with tech stream?

Old 11-15-21, 02:31 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Is there specific version of the cable and firmware which i should look since in europe i found this cable with red marks?
Firmware V 2.0.4 is this good or too low?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/G9UAA...Gp/s-l1600.png cable look like that.
Yeah the color of the cable doesn't matter, they are all basically the same. They all come with the firmware on the disk.
Old 11-15-21, 02:32 PM
asciarra21
Driver

Yes. You don't need any Dr. Prius garbage Toyota Techstream does everything that can do, plus much more since it's the dealer diagnostic software.
Peasodos, I haven’t tried this on my 2019 GS4, but it has worked on every other Toyota, Scion and Lexus I have tried it on.

Do you mind me asking where you got the latest version of the tech stream software?

Thank you
Old 11-15-21, 02:35 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by asciarra21
Peasodos, I haven’t tried this on my 2019 GS4, but it has worked on every other Toyota, Scion and Lexus I have tried it on.

Do you mind me asking where you got the latest version of the tech stream software?

Thank you
I googled it and found it on a random site, don't remember, If you also search techstream on eBay most sellers have the latest version or close too it.

Quick Reply: what is the best lexus gs 4th generation scan tool?